2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey lovely people! Hope you all are staying calm and patient. I just spoke with a PHAP representative. She shared that the program is still matching candidates to host sites and decisions should be sent out as early as late June (as of now). My best advice is to stay preoccupied and relax. Enjoy your summer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh wow! I was totally expecting to hear back from them by mid-July!

I'm going to keep the volume up a little but more on my phone starting next week :D

Hey good people...quick question, how do we get the response for the outcome? Via email or call? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey good people...quick question, how do we get the response for the outcome? Via email or call? Thanks.

Hello,

I got accepted into the program last year, but did not accept it due to me finishing up my MPH. When I found out I was accepted I got an email on the way to class & was extremely excited that I was one of the chosen ones. I’m honestly thankful I made it to the interviews again this year. Best of luck to everyone!

Most people received an email and a phone call last year. I only received an email though so make sure to be checking it every couple days if you don't normally check your email!

Reactions: 3 users
How long do you have to accept the position? Do you have to when they call? I know a lot of applicants didnt accept the offer, but wasnt sure of the timing of turning it down.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, 2017 PHAP here. I'm pretty sure that each of you are on edge waiting to hear about PHAP offers. I know how it feels to wait to hear about potential offers. I am stationed in New Orleans, LA and if any 2018 PHAP associate is placed here, I'm more than happy to help with your transition to NOLA since most likely my host site might be your assigned host site lol! Good luck to everyone!!

I just got the call! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!! Do you mind sharing where you were placed?
New Hampshire, which was in my first choice region so I'm very happy about it (I'm living in Boston now). If anyone else gets placed somewhere nearby let me know :) I'm so excited and can't wait for you all to hear and to meet all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
New Hampshire, which was in my first choice region so I'm very happy about it (I'm living in Boston now). If anyone else gets placed somewhere nearby let me know :) I'm so excited and can't wait for you all to hear and to meet all of you!
Congratulations!!! Might I also ask if you were one of the first candidates interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone! first time posting here but looks like I received an offer yesterday! Apparently they contacted me last week but at the wrong number so I was emailed. I will be in Charleston, West Virginia. Praying I will be able to make the location work definitely was not one of the states I was hoping for but it was my first choice for region.

Congratulations!!! Might I also ask if you were one of the first candidates interviewed?
Hi, yeah I know I scheduled my interview for this first day in one of the first slots, so I'm not sure if they are sending offers based on that or region but good luck! I hope you hear back soon!

Hi, yeah I know I scheduled my interview for this first day in one of the first slots, so I'm not sure if they are sending offers based on that or region but good luck! I hope you hear back soon!

Did you get a call from a 770 area code? I read in last year's thread that people got the call from that area code...

Long time lurker first time posting...This process is so stressful. :bucktooth::bucktooth::bucktooth:

Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted!!! I’m so anxious now that they are extending offers.

Hello Everyone! first time posting here but looks like I received an offer yesterday! Apparently they contacted me last week but at the wrong number so I was emailed. I will be in Charleston, West Virginia. Praying I will be able to make the location work definitely was not one of the states I was hoping for but it was my first choice for region.

Congrats! My name is Arielle Lippman (PHAP ‘13). Im currently stationed as a field assignee in Charleston, WV. My host site is the West Virginia Bureau for Public Health which is likely where you’ll be stationed. There are a number of PHAPs in Charleston, two graduating this year and two PHAP ‘17. Let me know if you have any questions about the program or Charleston in general! Feel free to pm me.

Hi everyone! I’m so happy to hear that responses are going out. Does anyone know if we are chosen to participate, can we commute from a neighboring state or if we have to live in the designated city?

Hi everyone! I’m so happy to hear that responses are going out. Does anyone know if we are chosen to participate, can we commute from a neighboring state or if we have to live in the designated city?
Hi there!

You can live wherever you want so long as you're okay with the commute. A lot of individuals have to live in a different city or state for small local or tribal health placements.

Congrats to those receiving placements! I am from the 2014 PHAP cohort. Similar to Arielle, I am a field assignee stationed in Burlington, Vermont. If any 2018 PHAP gets placed in Vermont feel free to reach out. You will most likely be stationed at the Vermont Department of Health. Feel free to PM me with questions about the program or Vermont. Good luck to all during this process!

Congrats to everyone who has received an offer so far! I have not put my phone down like all day because I’m so anxious to hear a reply! Good luck to everyone!

Oh wow. This is making me so anxious..wonder if they called for the western states already.. :oops:

If we didn't hear back last week, does that mean we didn't get accepted, or are they still giving out offers?

I think they're still giving out offers. The original timeline was meant for mid July - Aug, so there's still a chance!

2017 PHAP here, just to calm everyone nerves lol. I didn't hear back for an offer until August 1st so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet. Patience is the best thing right now cause as you start the Onboarding process, you'll def need to dealing with the paperwork and all. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users
2017 PHAP here, just to calm everyone nerves lol. I didn't hear back for an offer until August 1st so don't worry if you haven't heard back yet. Patience is the best thing right now cause as you start the Onboarding process, you'll def need to dealing with the paperwork and all. Good luck to everyone!!
Hello, do you know if they are giving out offers according to the regions or if it’s based on the order of the interviews?

I know nerves are high right now as we start to enter July and have news of early offers going out. So for everyone out there (lurkers included), best of luck! I pretty much put all my eggs into this basket, and after waiting 6+ months it's crazy to think the final decision is coming so soon. We've all put in a lot of time and effort, and the radio silence has most likely taken a hit at a few egos, but we are SO close. And no matter the results, it will bring everyone one step closer into the direction of their intended career path.

For those that start getting the call, I'd love to ask if you could post:
1. Date/Time of Acceptance
2. Current Location
3. Location Offered

There was a similar format in past forums, thought I'd bring it back to help the future 2018 PHAP's!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello, do you know if they are giving out offers according to the regions or if it’s based on the order of the interviews?
Its random from what I heard. Not particular order but its more than one person calling so keep that in mind. I didn't get a call until August 1st and its not dealing with order of interviews since mutiple people did the interviews.

I know the program begins in early October but does anyone (perhaps current/past PHAPs) know the exact date we are expected to be there? Does everyone move to their locations in late September?

I know the program begins in early October but does anyone (perhaps current/past PHAPs) know the exact date we are expected to be there? Does everyone move to their locations in late September?

When I started in 2014, It was the first Monday in October. I would say it depends on the pay period so either the first or second week of October would be my guess.

Hey all!
So excited to hear that there are some future phaps that have already heard back!

My two questions are:

- Do they (eventually) notify every candidate of their decision?

- And for those that have heard back, can you please share what the sender’s email address is or what subject line was?

**I don’t want to accidentally overlook one of the most important emails of my life!**

Thanks!

Guys, I got the call! Hang on everyone and good luck!

Congrats! When did you get the call and are you comfortable telling us your placement?

I got the call a couple around noon today. All I know is that its in Illinois.

Yes! I got an email as well! I'm from the West Coast so this would be a change for me in terms of both moving and time zone.
I'm super excited, though.
I'm crossing my fingers for all of you guys! Good luck!! :clap:

Reactions: 1 users
How exciting! I'm guessing since it's the weekend we can take a break from waiting by our phones/email

I got the call today! I know, it's Saturday. She said they have a lot of calls to make - they have
150 slots.

The email came from usastaffingoffice.

My assignment is in Minneapolis.

Good luck y'all!

I got the call today! I know, it's Saturday. She said they have a lot of calls to make - they have
150 slots.

The email came from usastaffingoffice.

My assignment is in Minneapolis.

Good luck y'all!

Congrats on your Minneapolis placement! I'm placed here as well so let me know if you have any questions about the Twin Cities. Based on your location you will most likely be located in the Minneapolis Health Department