2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rap15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application finally opened today so I figured I would get the discussion started!

Public Health Advisor- CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates

As a first question for anyone who has applied before...since I am a current undergrad, I have to submit an enrollment verification form. I have an official one that my college provided, which is signed and stamped and everything, but the CDC has a separate one on the application! Do I need to have both of these filled out? I'm freaking out because we're on winter break and I have no way for anyone at my school to sign the CDC one before the 1/8/18 deadline.

I have emailed [email protected] but I figured I would also ask here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The application finally opened today so I figured I would get the discussion started!

Public Health Advisor- CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates

As a first question for anyone who has applied before...since I am a current undergrad, I have to submit an enrollment verification form. I have an official one that my college provided, which is signed and stamped and everything, but the CDC has a separate one on the application! Do I need to have both of these filled out? I'm freaking out because we're on winter break and I have no way for anyone at my school to sign the CDC one before the 1/8/18 deadline.

I have emailed [email protected] but I figured I would also ask here.

2017 PHAP here, this is a new form they just started i see. They form they provided is the only one they will accept, it looks like. Im pretty sure somebody might be back since my school opened back before school start when I was enrolled. Did you call to check?

Reactions: 1 user
2017 PHAP here, this is a new form they just started i see. They form they provided is the only one they will accept, it looks like. Im pretty sure somebody might be back since my school opened back before school start when I was enrolled. Did you call to check?

Come to think of it, they might open the offices at my school this week. In the meantime, someone at PHAP replied to my email and said that "We have escalated your question and one of our appropriate team members will assist you." Since it's a new form, maybe they haven't worked out all of the kinks yet.

The CDC form also says that it should be faxed in, but everything else is uploaded online. It also looks like the form is geared towards internships or other student employment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in knowing if you hear anything regarding the fax versus upload. Also, does anyone know where to find the "Assessment Questionnaire" that is a required application document?

Hey y’all first time applicant to the program here. Good luck everyone!

I called the CDC this morning and was told that the enrollment verification form needed to be faxed and that it was the only form they would accept.

Hey y’all first time applicant to the program here. Good luck everyone!

I called the CDC this morning and was told that the enrollment verification form needed to be faxed and that it was the only form they would accept.

Well that’s annoying haha. Thank you for figuring it out!

Do you think they want just a one page resume or a longer resume?

Do you think they want just a one page resume or a longer resume?

I’ve applied to a few jobs through this website before and have found it much easier to just build your resume through the resume builder tool on the website. I’m not sure about the page requirement for the resume but a traditional resume is a page.

I’ve applied to a few jobs through this website before and have found it much easier to just build your resume through the resume builder tool on the website. I’m not sure about the page requirement for the resume but a traditional resume is a page.

Are there any negatives to just uploading a PDF version of a resume? I haven’t gotten too far into the application but is there a reason why I shouldn’t use the PDF one?

Also, I was able to get the enrollment form signed by a school official (after I sent it to them via scanning it and emailing it) and then they faxed to the CDC. Thank you to everyone that helped with that question!

Are there any negatives to just uploading a PDF version of a resume? I haven’t gotten too far into the application but is there a reason why I shouldn’t use the PDF one?

Just from my experience as a 2014 PHAP and from other friends at CDC, it seems the HR office does prefer for people to use the resume generator and whatever software they use to do keyword searches seems to work best with it. I think it's worth the extra few minutes to copy and paste your info into it.

I'm interested in knowing if you hear anything regarding the fax versus upload. Also, does anyone know where to find the "Assessment Questionnaire" that is a required application document?

I've been having trouble finding this too!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 questions.
1. I applied and did not see a separate enrollment verification on the application, where is this? I only saw where you can upload the form at the end.
2. Where would I fax the enrollment verification form? What is the CDC Fax #?
Can anybody please help me asap!

I have 2 questions.
1. I applied and did not see a separate enrollment verification on the application, where is this? I only saw where you can upload the form at the end.
2. Where would I fax the enrollment verification form? What is the CDC Fax #?
Can anybody please help me asap!

Go to the original posting and scroll down to the section of required documents. There is a hyperlink you can click on that will take you to the form. The number is on there as well

I've been having trouble finding this too!

Based on the 2017 forum, this isn't actually something you upload. You complete it when you advance further into the application, if I'm not mistaken.

I love this thread! So helpful:)

First time applicant and senior undergrad here - does anyone know if you need to upload an official transcript - or will an unofficial transcript work?

I love this thread! So helpful:)

First time applicant and senior undergrad here - does anyone know if you need to upload an official transcript - or will an unofficial transcript work?

"NOTE: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position."

So it looks like unofficial is fine! (This is from the job announcement, right below all of the required documents list).

Are you all submitting a cover letter?

When you progress through the application on usajobs website, it will direct you to the cdc assessment you are looking for :). You just have to finish the initial application first.

I don’t think you will need letters of references right now. They will probably ask for them later in the process.

Last edited:
Do we need letters of recommendation/references?

If you build your resume through the USAJobs site instead of uploading one, you can put in references. But from years past I’m pretty sure you do not need letters of rec at any point during the process. And they don’t specifically ask for references either.

I have had the same questions about whether or not to Fax AND upload, or just fax, and about the assessment questionnaire. Thanks everyone for sharing their info!

This has been really helpful so far!

I also had a question about the Documentation of US Residency-- it says "if required" on the application website. Is it required for the PHAP application or not? Did anyone upload a birth certificate or passport?

Regarding faxing and uploading the school verification form, here’s the response I got when I asked if just the fax was sufficient. It appears that it’s a good idea to upload it as well.

Attachments

• 71930F51-6684-46AC-8D2F-4F59ADE1E676.jpeg
    71930F51-6684-46AC-8D2F-4F59ADE1E676.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 95

I also had a question about the Documentation of US Residency-- it says "if required" on the application website. Is it required for the PHAP application or not? Did anyone upload a birth certificate or passport?

I am on the last page of the application and it has not asked for a passport or birth certificate.

2017 PHAP here. Just thought I'll help answer some questions here since I've gotten a few inboxes about certain things., just to help ease your minds lol, I was just like yall last year and want to help you out. No letters of recommendations needed. They will ONLY accept the faxed form so no need to upload it. Make sure you include ALL required documents with dates that it asks for as well. Try to use key words listed in the job description and make sure your resume shows how diverse you are. Google job descriptions if needed. If you make it to the next round, you will prepare a personal statement (questions were given in the job listing, just in case you wanted to prepare) and then the last round is the interview round. After that, they start the matching process and offers are given. PLEASE dont want until the last minute to submit the application, USAJOBS does act up alot closer to closing time, just a little FYI. I wish all of you best of luck as you apply for PHAP!

Yay 2018 here we come! I really hope they select closer to 200 this year. A lot of good potential associates fell through the cracks with the freeze and budget cuts.

Good luck everyone! This is round 2 for me. Made it to the interviews and they finally sent the rejection notices like few weeks ago. Haha :rofl:

I’m pretty nervous. I have no public health experience that is notable but I have experience regarding different aspects of community development so I’m hoping it doesn’t hurt my chances. good luck everyone :)

I think it may mean if you are not a U.S Citizen but don’t quote me on that. Maybe call the cdc help desk. The number is in the job announcement.

I’m pretty nervous. I have no public health experience that is notable but I have experience regarding different aspects of community development so I’m hoping it doesn’t hurt my chances. good luck everyone :)
They are not looking for people who are experts in PH. It's more of your passion of PH, and intelligence, and great work ethics. Not everyone who is picked has a background in PH

They are not looking for people who are experts in PH. It's more of your passion of PH, and intelligence, and great work ethics. Not everyone who is picked has a background in PH

Thanks that makes me feel better!

Finally about to submit and the agency site is down for maintenance until 9pm :wtf:

Hey everyone! First time applicant here. Regarding the School Verification form, I emailed the HRCS email provided on the job announcement and sent them the form that was provided by my school asking if that was okay for me to submit..their response was that they were able to accept my form! I'm not sure why we are getting different responses but I am going to go ahead and fax the other one as well!

Hey everyone! First time applicant here. Regarding the School Verification form, I emailed the HRCS email provided on the job announcement and sent them the form that was provided by my school asking if that was okay for me to submit..their response was that they were able to accept my form! I'm not sure why we are getting different responses but I am going to go ahead and fax the other one as well!

I’m not sure either but thanks for your information! I’ve included both just to be on the safe side

When you progress through the application on usajobs website, it will direct you to the cdc assessment you are looking for :). You just have to finish the initial application first.

The assessment questionnaire is listed under required documents in the resume section?
If I move past this section to the questionnaire, can I not go back?

Who did you get at your school to sign it? A professor? Or does it need to be higher up?

Once you "Continue Application with Agency" are you allowed to return to USAjobs and upload more documents?
I want to start working on the questionnaire but don't have my school verification form yet.

Hi everyone,

I am very excited for this program. I am a first time applicant and am very happy to come across this forum early. I wish everyone luck!

Also, would anyone know If you can go back and forth from the USAJOBS and CDC portal?

Last edited:
You can go back and forth as many times as you need to. You won’t accidentally submit your application.

My school verification form was handled by Student Services, and I’m pretty sure a Dean signed it.

Would anyone know if we need to upload a cover letter, letter of recommendations, and a copy our degree?

Would anyone know if we need to upload a cover letter, letter of recommendations, and a copy our degree?
No: cover letter, or recommendations
Yes: transcript with degree confer date if you are claiming recent graduate

Hello. I graduated in May of 2017 so I am a bit confused as to the type of verification I need to submit. I called the help desk and left a message but haven't heard back yet.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I dont need to submit the School Enrollment Verification Form because I have already graduated. I just have to submit a transcript (unofficial is ok) that shows my degree conferred correct?

Good luck to everyone!

Hello. I graduated in May of 2017 so I am a bit confused as to the type of verification I need to submit. I called the help desk and left a message but haven't heard back yet.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I dont need to submit the School Enrollment Verification Form because I have already graduated. I just have to submit a transcript (unofficial is ok) that shows my degree conferred correct?

Good luck to everyone!
correct

So I noticed for one of the requirements its says: Documentation of Legal U.S. Residency, if applicable.
Would that mean we need to provide any documentation of US citizenship like DL or Passport?