2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
find m
Is there a way you can message me or I can message you so we exchange contact info?
I joined the fb group below. Find me there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, 2017 PHAP here! I made FB group for you guys.... it'll really help associates who are accepted into the program connect.... join at the link below

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It does! I ask because PHAP was always painted to me as something that's more-so geared for post-undergrads who are early in their public health careers and are looking for work experience.

When PHAP first started there was a similar post-masters fellowship that CDC eventually did away with. I'm a 2017 PHAP with my MPH and my cohort is about 50/50 in terms of associates with MPH or other advanced degrees vs bachelors degree. There are post-masters ORISE fellowships but they are not full-time CDC employees which has its pros and cons. Many people with a masters degree are also early in their careers and looking for public health experience (myself included) so PHAP is definitely one of the best ways to get into CDC and public health, like someone else said above.

Reactions: 2 users
I just received my email. I received the call last thursday. I called HR today and they sent out the email about 20 minutes later. For those of you who haven't received an email yet with more information, try calling HR and giving them your contact information.

It does! I ask because PHAP was always painted to me as something that's more-so geared for post-undergrads who are early in their public health careers and are looking for work experience.

Hey there! I just graduated in May with my MPH. I applied to PHAP because of the opportunity to work for CDC, get more public health experience, and hopefully land a permanent position there after the program. I have some public health experience through internships and working as a graduate research assistant during my masters. I declined my offer. I can definitely see why some people with masters degrees do PHAP, but the program does seem better suited for recent undergrads (pay-wise, at least). For me personally, I wasn't keen on starting off as a GS-5 in the first year of PHAP when I'd be eligible for a GS-9, potentially GS-11, with a regular job at CDC. I was also under the impression that we would know a liiiittle more information about our host site- at least the organization or topic area- before having to accept. The combination of low pay for having a masters in Epi, and not knowing anything about my placement made PHAP not the best decision for me. I was offered another job with much better pay that I accepted instead. Also, as great as it would have been to work for CDC, I was open to other organizations. So I also think it depends on how set you are on working for CDC. If you have your masters and are 100% set on working there, especially right after graduation, it's a great way to start your career there and is probably worth the low pay for two years. Again, these are just my personal reasons for applying with a masters and why I ended up declining- certainly nothing against people who accept!

The other two programs I considered were the CDC/CSTE Applied Epidemiology Fellowship Program (didn't realize how early the application was, and by the time I looked into it, it was closed), and EIS, which I don't qualify for since I don't have a doctorate or clinical degree in addition to my masters.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your reply! I'm in a similar boat but have decided to take the position with PHAP. I was definitely hoping to be making more post-MPH, especially since I have a fair amount of professional experience, but I had taken a break from PH-specific work to do a non-PH fellowship and am feeling the itch to get my feet wet again in the PH world before too much time passes. PHAP feels like a great way to do this (despite the low pay) since it has the potential to open a lot of doors with the CDC/other organizations.

Totally makes sense! I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience :)

DC is amazing place to be- and to get non profit or federal experiences I live in Northern VA and actually just accepted offer at a federal agency with health policy and budget management sector of public health. As rewarding as the CDC experience would be, I agree with you that there are really cool projects we can do elsewhere as well esp with MPH.
Personally, I still have 1 yr left with MPH and DC job I have is also pathway but it’s permanent and GS 7 and close to home. So I guess I am kind of glad I haven’t received any call from CDC yet. I’d be in such a dilemma if I had gotten offer from both places . Lol
Good luck with your job. Did you start it already?

Hi All, someone want to take my spot in Portland, Oregon? I'm a little beside myself right now. I graduated with my MPH two years ago, and applied for this because I was having a hard time finding a public health job in Seattle, where I'm from. However, during the application process, I accepted a Health Data Analyst job with a national non-profit in DC. I moved out to DC about a month ago for the job, and into an apartment this weekend.

Then I got an offer for PHAP in Seattle's sister city... GUYS. WTF??

It's really the location that's throwing me for a loop. My new job is much better - I'm actually designing research projects and doing really cool stuff that I wouldn't be able to do at this level in PHAP, but moving to DC was a big move. So, yeah. I'm going to decline, and one of you lovely people will be going to Portland in my stead. It's a fun city, you'll have a great time.
fC

My placement is in Queens! From what I saw on the CDC website about past NYC PHAP placements, a lot of people who were placed in LIC worked at the New York City Dept. of Health and Mental Hygiene. Currently looking at housing and etc. for NYC too. I’m looking in Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn and North Jersey for housing since the rent is cheaper out of the city.

Hi, I just got placed in Queens too! Message me, I'm trying to figure out this whole relocation stuff too haha

Hi, I just got placed in Queens too! Message me, I'm trying to figure out this whole relocation stuff too haha

I'm in Queens also. I just tried to message you but it wouldn't work. Feel free to message me :)

Thank you for your reply! I'm in a similar boat but have decided to take the position with PHAP. I was definitely hoping to be making more post-MPH, especially since I have a fair amount of professional experience, but I had taken a break from PH-specific work to do a non-PH fellowship and am feeling the itch to get my feet wet again in the PH world before too much time passes. PHAP feels like a great way to do this (despite the low pay) since it has the potential to open a lot of doors with the CDC/other organizations.

I think investigadora provides great points.

Here is my experience as someone who went into PHAP with an MPH. My MPH was a dual concentration in Behavioral Science/Health Education and Epidemiology. In addition I also had prior experiences in public health and an assistantship before joining PHAP but wanted to gain more public health experience even if it meant getting into federal service at a lower pay grade. I truly enjoyed my PHAP experience even with my MPH degree and felt that it provided great learning opportunities professionally and personally. I have learned about working in a variety of public health settings from my PHAP county assignment and to deploying for Zika and seeing a response at a federal level to name a few. I believe these experiences allowed me to maintain employment with CDC after my PHAP experience where I continue to do work at a state health department.

I think if you know you want to do something in Public Health like EPI, Lab work, or informatics, there are other types of fellowships out there for Master level degrees to get into. However, if you are a generalist and still exploring options within Public Health I think PHAP is a great opportunity for you to figure it out or what it means to be a generalist in the federal sector.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in Queens also. I just tried to message you but it wouldn't work. Feel free to message me :)

It's not letting me see your profile or message you! Did you join the facebook PHAP group above? We could connect there!

Hello! Congrats! I received an offer too! In Bradenton, Fl. The lady told me I would an email but I haven’t gotten it yet. Have you received the email? If so, what was the lady’s name I can’t recall it

Hi Denise! I'm a 2015 PHAP alum who was stationed in Bradenton, FL. Shoot me a message and hopefully we can connect! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my call! I'm placed in Portland, OR. I've seen a lot of people saying they were placed outside of their choice regions, but this was in my first choice region, so there's still hope!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Denise! I'm a 2015 PHAP alum who was stationed in Bradenton, FL. Shoot me a message and hopefully we can connect! :)
Get! Thank you for reaching out! I’ve accepted my position just need to know about the area! Where did you live? What are some good living areas? Was it affordable with the salary they offer? Did you work at Manatee County Health Department? If so, what was your experience like?

Get! Thank you for reaching out! I’ve accepted my position just need to know about the area! Where did you live? What are some good living areas? Was it affordable with the salary they offer? Did you work at Manatee County Health Department? If so, what was your experience like?

I'm not really sure how to message myself. I am actually no longer located in the area, but I did live and work in Bradenton at the Manatee CHD for my PHAP assignment. I would most recommend an apartment complex called Palm Cove, it's easily one of the nicest in the area for a somewhat reasonable price (considering PHAP salary). I was fine on the salary, but it's certainly not luxurious. As many will tell you it's not ideal, but livable. I had a wonderful supervisor at the health department and learned a great deal. Though it has its struggles, you will find value in your experience if you're willing to try new things and be adaptable (they will tell you this throughout the program as well). Where are you relocating from? Do you have a public health background?

I'm not really sure how to message myself. I am actually no longer located in the area, but I did live and work in Bradenton at the Manatee CHD for my PHAP assignment. I would most recommend an apartment complex called Palm Cove, it's easily one of the nicest in the area for a somewhat reasonable price (considering PHAP salary). I was fine on the salary, but it's certainly not luxurious. As many will tell you it's not ideal, but livable. I had a wonderful supervisor at the health department and learned a great deal. Though it has its struggles, you will find value in your experience if you're willing to try new things and be adaptable (they will tell you this throughout the program as well). Where are you relocating from? Do you have a public health background?
Okay great. Glad to know that it was livable. I’ll be coming from Atlanta, ga. I was actually looking at Palm Cove, good to know that you lived there. I don’t have much Public Health experience but I did intern at a health department in Atlanta, so at least i won’t be totally clueless

Hi All! Long time lurker. I received my call today around 4pm (770) area code. Shortly after I received an email that outlined everything that was discussed on the phone. I am originally from New York and was placed in Long Island, NY. Not sure if I will commute to Long Island daily or just move out there. Has anyone started the process after you have received the call yet ? Everyone who is still waiting remain faithful! :) Congrats to everyone who received calls.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All! Long time lurker. I received my call today around 4pm (770) area code. Shortly after I received an email that outlined everything that was discussed on the phone. I am originally from New York and was placed in Long Island, NY. Not sure if I will commute to Long Island daily or just move out there. Has anyone started the process after you have received the call yet ? Everyone who is still waiting remain faithful! :) Congrats to everyone who received calls.

Hello! I was placed in Queens, NY and I got my email yesterday morning. I already confirmed my offer and started the initial onboarding/security clearance.

And yes congrats to everyone! I screamed when I got the email, and I'm also rooting for everyone that's still in limbo waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just returned from family vacation. I got the call on 07/17/18 but missed it in a cave with no service. I received the follow-up call on 07/18/18. Currently in Alabama and placed in Jackson, MS. The Southern Region was my first choice. I have a question about the initial onboarding process. I am trying to sign and submit my form but there is no place to upload a document showing in my PDF, is it an electronic signature? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, since we have been selected, do we sign and date as an appointee?

Just returned from family vacation. I got the call on 07/17/18 but missed it in a cave with no service. I received the follow-up call on 07/18/18. Currently in Alabama and placed in Jackson, MS. The Southern Region was my first choice. I have a question about the initial onboarding process. I am trying to sign and submit my form but there is no place to upload a document showing in my PDF, is it an electronic signature? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's an electronic signature, you just click the button and it signs for you!

Hey have you done your e-QIP yet? How did you send your documents?

Hello! I was placed in Queens, NY and I got my email yesterday morning. I already confirmed my offer and started the initial onboarding/security clearance.

And yes congrats to everyone! I screamed when I got the email, and I'm also rooting for everyone that's still in limbo waiting!

That's great congratulations, I'm actually not sure if I was placed in Long Island or Long Island City which is in Queens. On the phone the HR rep said Long Island City which is in Queens but in my email she said Long Island, NY. What did your email say regarding placement.

I'm also a New Yorker who was placed on Long Island! I'm from/currently live on Long Island and am debating whether I should continue living out here or do the reverse commute from somewhere in Brooklyn. I'm assuming we'll be in Mineola at the Nassau County Public Health Department like previous PHAP associates unless Suffolk County applied for PHAP associates as well.

Yea I was hoping the HR rep could confirm the host site for me , but I guess we'll just have to wait and see before we make our decision. Please keep me updated on your decision on either commuting or moving and I will do the same.

Im a 2017 PHAP placed in New Orleans but I'm originally from Jackson, MS. If you need housing help or anything for moving to the city, let me know!

Im a 2017 PHAP placed in New Orleans but I'm originally from Jackson, MS. If you need housing help or anything for moving to the city, let me know!
Hello @alh601, thank you very much!!!! Just sent you a message.

This process has my anxiety through the roof. I’m patiently waiting and hoping I get the highly anticipated call. This opportunity would be a dream come true! Congratulations to everyone that has gotten accepted!

This process has my anxiety through the roof. I’m patiently waiting and hoping I get the highly anticipated call. This opportunity would be a dream come true! Congratulations to everyone that has gotten accepted!

Fingers crossed for you!

I am getting a tad bit defeated since I have not gotten a call yet. I am wondering if I don't get this, is it because of my lack of experience, how I compare to other applicants, or the quality of my interview :(
Wish I knew.

After submitting my application and going through the Skype interview, I have graduated with my MHA and have been doing an awesome paid summer internship with a hospital system. I did not get to add this to my resume or my application.
I wish we would have been able to update our applications!
I am still hopeful, because this would be a great opportunity for me. Unfortunately, I have not had too much look finding a good job in the field.

I am getting a tad bit defeated since I have not gotten a call yet. I am wondering if I don't get this, is it because of my lack of experience, how I compare to other applicants, or the quality of my interview :(
Wish I knew.

After submitting my application and going through the Skype interview, I have graduated with my MHA and have been doing an awesome paid summer internship with a hospital system. I did not get to add this to my resume or my application.
I am still hopeful, because this would be a great opportunity for me. Unfortunately, I have not had too much look finding a good job in the field.
Don’t be discouraged. I’ve heard from many PHAP Alum that it’s still early in the process. In the interviews they did say mid July to early August before we would hear anything. I don’t want to say be patient because I know it’s hard. Please stay positive!

Wish I knew.

Keep holding out! I looked at past PHAP forums and people were getting calls up through August! I know the stress is high with each passing day, but you never know. Go do something fun or hang out with the ones you love, it's so easy to discredit and question yourself during this waiting game - and that's not fair for yourself.

Hi fellow PHAP fellows! Congratulations on being placed. I am based in Atlanta and have been placed in Nebraska. Unfortunately due to personal reasons its quite difficult for me to make the move.
1) HR isn't helping, is there ANYTHING that can be done about reloacting?
2) If I decline will it affect future fellowship/ job prospects at the CDC?
3) I only have 24 hours, is it realistic to accept for now and hope that something changes in the next few months?
Thanks!

Just wanted to give some info on relocating--I think it really sucks that CDC doesn't help with relocation costs for PHAP (and no, they won't budge on this). But, if you are able to swing it, you can write off your moving costs on your taxes (since they were necessary expenses for a job) and it gives you a good boost on your refund. I know that doesn't necessarily mean everyone can front the costs initially, but I kind of defaulted my costs on a couple of credit cards and was able to pay it off with my boosted refund.

It does a number on you, doesn't it?! Ugh. All I can say is, distractions work wonders for me. See a movie, hang out with friends, do whatever needs your full attention so that it lifts the emotional weight for as long as possible. At the same time, keep in mind that this is just one of the many opportunities that will come your way.

Hi My 1st post but I’ve been a long time lurker, I was posted to New Orleans, any tips on how to settle in?

Hi My 1st post but I’ve been a long time lurker, I was posted to New Orleans, any tips on how to settle in?
Hey! It won't let me inbox you for some reason. Can you DM me a message?

Hello everyone, Its my first time posting but a long time lurker. Congrats to all those that got in, and hang on tight for those still waiting. Today, I got an email confirming my acceptance to the program. I have been assigned to San Francisco.

Are they any past or current PHAP-ers that were also assigned to this location. And anyone else got assigned here? Hoping to connect with yall!

I'm really excited!

Hello everyone, Its my first time posting but a long time lurker. Congrats to all those that got in, and hang on tight for those still waiting. Today, I got an email confirming my acceptance to the program. I have been assigned to San Francisco.

Are they any past or current PHAP-ers that were also assigned to this location. And anyone else got assigned here? Hoping to connect with yall!

I'm really excited!
Check out this map and try to find them on FB. If you cant find them, let me know and I might be able to connect you!
CDC - Map of Associate Assignments - About PHAP

Does anyone know how long it takes for pre-employment screening to process? Has anyone been cleared already/what are the steps after?

Does anyone know how long it takes for pre-employment screening to process? Has anyone been cleared already/what are the steps after?
I think I was already cleared, but I forgot to send in my transcripts..:arghh: that’s why the process was taking forever. I talked to HR and they said that you will get more information about your duty location when you get your final offer letter.

Hi everyone! So after much anxiety, I got the call today! I’ve been placed in Pittsburgh, PA!!! I’m so excited! If anyone has been placed in Pittsburgh or is already there let’s connect please. Those that are still waiting please keep your head up and stay positive!

After all the anxiety, I just got the call at 1:49 pm et and the email 10 mins later.
Current location: Orlando, Fl
Location of offer: Nashville, Tenn.
I'm so excited and grateful! To anyone still waiting, don't give up yet!

Just received the call! Placement was for Montgomery, Alabama. My current location is in Dallas, Texas. Don’t give up if you haven’t received a call yet!