2008-2009 University of Buffalo Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You serious? 48 hours? So they will call us/email us after 48 hours to tell us if we're in/out/waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

For all those still waiting to hear, I just got an interview invite this morning. I have been complete since the end of August.

Same Here, I actually called in Sept and they said I was rejected even though my status page says "No-Action" I just got an interview invite 6 months later for April 1st.

Hey Guys,

For those of you who were invited for interviews, did you status page change?

Also, did anyone who is still waiting for an interview sent them letters of interest???

Do they interview through March and April or just March????

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

For those of you who were invited for interviews, did you status page change?

Also, did anyone who is still waiting for an interview sent them letters of interest???

Do they interview through March and April or just March????

Thanks!!

UB will be interviewing until April 29...maybe May 6 but definitely at least April 29.

There are always open seats for interviewees, they don't interview for waitlist. As of now they've offered around only about 2/3 of the number of seats, and the class is about 135...and most schools accept a good number more than just the number of seats.

Also, I saw a bit earlier that someone expects waitlist movement to start sometime in at the beginning of April. While there may be a very few people invited at that time (anything in life is possible), remember that they are still interviewing until the beginning of May. So real waitlist movement won't start until after they finish interviewing...and the major movement is at the end of May/beginning of June once people actually start withdrawing their multiple accepts.

:luck:

Last edited:
scowdeva,

Do you know if it's true that a decision is made within 48 hours? And if so, do they contact the applicant ~48 hours after the interview? I'm asking b/c someone in the last page mentioned this, and I wanted to see if anyone can confirm it.

Thanks

Hi, first-timer here. I was just wondering if anyone else had this happen to them. Apparently the dean of the med school or the dean of admissions or someone, called my PI and talked to her about me around a week after I interviewed. Good or bad?

scowdeva,

Do you know if it's true that a decision is made within 48 hours? And if so, do they contact the applicant ~48 hours after the interview? I'm asking b/c someone in the last page mentioned this, and I wanted to see if anyone can confirm it.

Thanks

yup
waitlisted before i even flew out of buffalo the next day (OOS applicant)

This is pretty unsettling. I have an interview in mid/late March, and I was already suspicious that it would be nothing more than a formality before placing me on the waitlist.

If what you're saying is true, then I suppose I'm correct? Can anyone verify this?

Also, how long do they take to make their decisions post-interview?

Thanks in advance.

I interviewed in mid march and got in the next day, so there will still be spots availabe for immediate acceptance at every interview date

C'mon People.....

Give us the scoop on the interviews that happened on March 4th:cool:

kdburton, halekulani,

Thanks for clearing things up.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I are both withdrawing our applications from UB, so hopefully our interview spots go to some of you. GOOD LUCK! :D

UB will be interviewing until April 29...maybe May 6 but definitely at least April 29.

I interviewed yesterday, and Dean Severin said their last interview day would be April 22. He emphasized that they keep seats open until the very end, so even the people interviewing at the very end would have a shot at real seats in the class, not just the waitlist. (He was quite adamant on this point.) He also mentioned in passing that the class size will be going up this year, from 135 to 140.

I interviewed yesterday, and Dean Severin said their last interview day would be April 22. He emphasized that they keep seats open until the very end, so even the people interviewing at the very end would have a shot at real seats in the class, not just the waitlist. (He was quite adamant on this point.) He also mentioned in passing that the class size will be going up this year, from 135 to 140.

Good luck on getting accepted. I'm withdrawing my application because i'm from Californian and i got into a California school. Hopefully, you now have a better shot at a spot in this school.

Results are up from the Wed. interviews, FINALLY I have an acceptance. I am happy, Buffalo was awesome, both the city and the school itself.

Just got an interview invite for April 22!

Hey, me too via email last night.

I'm glad they make decisions earlier, as I would have to decide on schools by May 1.

If I remember correctly, May 1 is the day when you have to choose one acceptance if you currently have mutiple acceptances. So you choose the best one you have and if you get accepted elsewhere after May 1 then you can decide to take that offer, you just have to notify the "one other school" that you originally chose on May 1. Thats why students should expect there to be more movement on waitlists after May 1, because if theres people out there holding accceptances at 5 schools right now then 4 of those spots will suddenly be open on May 1

I believe the official day is May 15.

Congrats to those who got the invite for April 22. Student1799 said Dr. Severin announced that was going to be the last interview day. Having been placed in the Intermediate Pool and not been invited yet, it looks like this may be the end of the road for me at UB.

Last edited:
So, has anyone from the Intermediate Pool heard anything, yet?

I remember Mr. Rosso's email indicating we would hear a final decision by March 31.

Has anyone from the wait list heard anything yet?

Has anyone from the wait list heard anything yet?

I am wondering the same thing... its getting closer and closer to the final interview date, has anyone called to see whether their position on the wait list changed or remained the same?

at my interview day (last weds), they said that they had already taken a couple of people off the waitlist. so there is a little bit of movement. where is everyone on the waitlist, if you dont mind sharing?

Woo Hoo!!

I'm flying out to Buffalo tomorrow from Houston,TX to interview this Wednesday. I'm sooooo excited!!!

is anyone else interviewing??

o wow... i am sooooo excited to hear that ppl are being pulled off the waitlist already!!! uh oh... great... now im gonna go back to checking my status page everyday compulsively. hahaahaha

at my interview day (last weds), they said that they had already taken a couple of people off the waitlist. so there is a little bit of movement. where is everyone on the waitlist, if you dont mind sharing?

I called the other day and Mr. Rosso said they had started pulling people off the wait list I was hoping some people on the forum had been accepted and could tell us where they were on the list and/or when they interviewed, etc... I am in the upper third so I was hoping there had been a bit of movement already.

yea im in the upper third as well.

I called the other day and Mr. Rosso said they had started pulling people off the wait list I was hoping some people on the forum had been accepted and could tell us where they were on the list and/or when they interviewed, etc... I am in the upper third so I was hoping there had been a bit of movement already.

I called about a week ago and at the time mr. rosso said they had given out a total of 102 acceptances for a class size of 140. I recently read about an AAMC guideline stating that schools are supposed to accept a number of students at least equal to a full class size by march 31st. If that's true, hopefully there will be more waitlist movement soon!

I'm OOS, interviewed in November. Waitlisted. Upper one third in Jan. Accepted about two weeks ago

congrats cardioguy! that makes me feel very optimistic. are you attending?

That's great Cardioguy! Congrats! I'm hoping to get pulled off the waitlist but last I called I was placed in the bottom third so my chances are really slim :(

Not sure if I am attending yet. I still have to figure that all out.

wannabedocta: I don't think the positions are permanent yet. Wait until late April and maybe your position will change. Also be patient because bottom 1/3 was reached last year

wrasler19: I received an e-mail that one of the schools requested the background check. I then checked the Buffalo status page and it said "Accepted". No e-mail at all and I received a snail mail letter about a week later

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from Buffalo whether it be interviews or waitlists.

I am officially withdrawing.

Not sure if I am attending yet. I still have to figure that all out.

wannabedocta: I don't think the positions are permanent yet. Wait until late April and maybe your position will change. Also be patient because bottom 1/3 was reached last year

wrasler19: I received an e-mail that one of the schools requested the background check. I then checked the Buffalo status page and it said "Accepted". No e-mail at all and I received a snail mail letter about a week later

Are your sure about this? I thought they only got to the middle 1/3.

AH--

non-accept from the Intermediate Pool

I just called... and Mr. Rosso said there is a little movement right now.... and IM STILL TOP THIRD!!! Woohoooo... good luck to all of us!

It is passed the March 31st AAMC suggested full class deadline has anyone heard anything yet? Or is UB going to wait longer since they have 4 interviews left?

It is passed the March 31st AAMC suggested full class deadline has anyone heard anything yet? Or is UB going to wait longer since they have 4 interviews left?

I would be interested to find this out as well, they were at 102 accepts about 2 weeks ago. Even if they accepted outright a decent amount of students from the last two interview weeks, it would seem that they also would have to take a fair amount of students off of the waitlist to reach that full class number.

i interviewed last week, the class was definitely not full at that point... so i'd say they don't really take the suggested deadline into consideration.

I just interviewed today and let me start off by saying the school is truly amazing! i loved the school 100x more than I expected. It really seems like the staff and Dr. Severin really do take care of the students. Also, currently there are 125ppl admitted for a class size of 140. I absolutely loved the school and cant wait until I find out my decision!!

Interviewed 2/11, placed in the upper 1/3
Accepted 3/26

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone waiting on spots to open!!! I hope you all get in. =)

By the way, if anyone is accpeted and planning on going, check out the 2013 class thread in the school specific forum. It would be cool to get that going so we can get to know who's going to be in our class!

Last edited:
Interviewed 2/11, placed in the upper 1/3
Accepted 3/26

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone waiting on spots to open!!! I hope you all get in. =)

By the way, if anyone is accpeted and planning on going, check out the 2013 class thread in the school specific forum. It would be cool to get that going so we can get to know who's going to be in our class!

If UB hasn't finished interviewing, what does this mean as ppl on the WL are starting to be pulled off? Is this a sign that the WL is moving faster this yr :) (I remember ppl were coming off the UB WL since the end of April last yr) or does it mean anything at all :confused:?

it means that this year, more people are willing to withdraw before the deadline... so i guess you can see it as the waitlist moving faster than last year. They are pulling people off the waitlist even though they continue to interview until April 22nd because I heard that they only grant five seats per interview date. So right now there is about 15 seats left, and three intervew days until April 22nd. Hope this helps.

it means that this year, more people are willing to withdraw before the deadline... so i guess you can see it as the waitlist moving faster than last year. They are pulling people off the waitlist even though they continue to interview until April 22nd because I heard that they only grant five seats per interview date. So right now there is about 15 seats left, and three intervew days until April 22nd. Hope this helps.

Thanks geffgeff :)! I'm actually a lil surprised to see this b/c of all the financial crisis and stuff...I thought ppl might be more willing to give up more expensive, prestigious schools for state schools

If you are (or were) on the waitlist, we tried to start a similar thread to last year when people tried to compile and online version of the waitlist. This allows us to see what some of the activity on the waitlist looks like. If you are (or were) on the waitlist go to this forum http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615761 and add yourself and hopefully we can start to figure out what the movement looks like this year.

does anyone know how late they will be sending interview invites out...I know they are interviewing until the 22nd...but can I assume a silent rejection or have they not filled all their interview slots yet?

thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.