2008-2009 University of Buffalo Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in that group since Oct 24th... and no word since. Not looking good lol. Buffalo is the strangest SUNY I am convinced.

Shrugs, it's too cold up there anyway. I guess that update letter I sent them this week pissed someone off :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

The Intermediate Pool

I was just placed in this club after being complete ~1st week of sept.

Has/does anyone come out of the intermediate pool?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you informed of the "intermediate pool" status?

i was on a plane with two people from our interview group, but I only talked to one of them. she also liked the school, we thought that they probably accept 3-5 people out of each group...but it also depends on the quality of applicants in each particular group. and yes, their waitlist moves a lot, especially of you are at the top 1/3...also, do you guys think that people interviewed by the dean are their priority applicants? those people probably have high chances of acceptance unless of course they do something really stupid during the interview.

I interviewed in March a couple years back and there were at least 5 people in my interview group that got in. There were also people on the bottom 1/3 of the waitlist that were eventually admitted. The school also saves spots so that even at the latest interview dates they can potentially admit high-quality interviewees right off the bat rather than placing them on the waitlist and hoping for movement. I was also interviewed by the Dean - I don't know if it necessarily increased my chances of getting in or not, but I was accepted two days later.

so looking at the interview feedback, the interview questions here seems pretty nasty... All of the entries were from last year, so I was wondering if anyone from this year has had a interview already and are the questions similar?

I only had a few standardized-sounding questions during my interview. In one interview we talked about The Crocodile Hunter and then snowboarding for about 15 minutes each. In another interview I was simply asked to talk about some prior work experience, why I chose the major I did, and why I chose to go into medicine, etc. Then the interviewer just asked a bunch of get-to-know-me questions. Both interviews were very non-threatening for me

Does anyone who has already been accepted to UB has a MCAT<30?
I know this probably is not a major factor in determining ppl's acceptance, but I wonder if might be the one thing that have kept me out of getting an outright acceptance.

I know two current students here with MCATs of 26. Applications may be up in the last few years, but I doubt that means that you're SOL without a 30+ MCAT

two more days until Dr. Rosso gets flooded with phone calls, including mine :laugh:

It's the day that we Wait Listers find out what tier (top-, middle-, or bottom-1/3) in which we're ranked on the Wait List!!!!!!

ahh ok.. Well good luck! Do they start pulling off now or do they wait till May?

ahh ok.. Well good luck! Do they start pulling off now or do they wait till May?

Thanks for the GL! That's also a question I'd like to have answered with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure, unfortunately, there really isn't much (if any) WL movement prior to May 15th.

Another question I'd like to have answered is: can the rankings we receive on Thursday move (for better or worse) as the rest of the interview season wares on? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows! And to all those waiting for 1/15 or just waiting for an interview, BEST OF LUCK! :thumbup::luck::luck::xf: I LOVE Buffalo so I'm really hoping for some good news, scared as I may be....:scared: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have received interviews recently, how far in advance are the dates??

edit: nevermind, just got rejected...

Last edited:
Thanks for the GL! That's also a question I'd like to have answered with 100% certainty, but I'm pretty sure, unfortunately, there really isn't much (if any) WL movement prior to May 15th.

Another question I'd like to have answered is: can the rankings we receive on Thursday move (for better or worse) as the rest of the interview season wares on? Thanks in advance to anyone who knows! And to all those waiting for 1/15 or just waiting for an interview, BEST OF LUCK! :thumbup::luck::luck::xf: I LOVE Buffalo so I'm really hoping for some good news, scared as I may be....:scared: :eek:

I know the waitlist ranking does tend to move as the year goes on for better or worse so it's probably a good idea to call in the middle of march or april to check for changes.

ALL waitlists begin to move after May 15.

This is when applicants are required to commit to a single school if you hold multiple acceptances. As these people withdraw from certain schools new spots become available. Because the interview season is passed at that point these spots are filled with candidates from the waitlist. Being at the top of the WL is better. However, some schools (ie NYMC and GWU) have an "unranked" WL.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

I was recently placed in the intermediate pool at UB, but hope to get an interview.

This is when applicants are required to commit to a single school if you hold multiple acceptances. As these people withdraw from certain schools new spots become available. Because the interview season is passed at that point these spots are filled with candidates from the waitlist. Being at the top of the WL is better. However, some schools (ie NYMC and GWU) have an "unranked" WL.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

I was recently placed in the intermediate pool at UB, but hope to get an interview.

Do you know anything about this intermediate pool? I was tempted to call Mr.Rosso and ask if there was any chance to get an interview but I decided to just wait it out since I have acceptances.

i've been on "NO ACTION" since July...anybody have any ideas?

i noticed a few people on this board who have been complete months after me and heard from them already (rejection or interview). i know mr. rosso says timing means nothing at UB, but this is really awkward -- half a year?!?!

Do you know anything about this intermediate pool? I was tempted to call Mr.Rosso and ask if there was any chance to get an interview but I decided to just wait it out since I have acceptances.

No, I tried calling him but he was out today (wed= interview day).

just had the interview there today! The faculty and mr. rosso are the best people you will ever meet! Great interview experience! Good luck to you all that will be hearing back soon!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

What is this intermediate pool? And how did you find out about it?

i've been on "NO ACTION" since July...anybody have any ideas?

i noticed a few people on this board who have been complete months after me and heard from them already (rejection or interview). i know mr. rosso says timing means nothing at UB, but this is really awkward -- half a year?!?!

Same here..."no action" forever and ever, it seems like. And I interviewed last year. :(

so is anyone calling them about the 1/3 of the waitlist deal?

What is this intermediate pool? And how did you find out about it?

Same here..."no action" forever and ever, it seems like. And I interviewed last year. :(

-I was em-mailed by Mr. Rosso

-My status page says "INTERMEDIATE"

-I will report back to this thread when I get more information about the pool. Good luck everyone!!

i called mr. rosso and found out i'm in the top third! i loved the school i really hope i get pulled off the list. he said to call back may 4th as that is when they finalize the list.

i called mr. rosso and found out i'm in the top third! i loved the school i really hope i get pulled off the list. he said to call back may 4th as that is when they finalize the list.

oh lucky you!! congratulations. i've been trying to call for the last 45 minutes or so but nobody picks up and it goes to the voicemail. when did you get in touch with him?

EDIT: Middle 1/3....sigh.

For everyone's information: Mr. Rosso said that the ranking list is VERY mobile, and everyone WL'ed should call back on Monday, May 4th to find out where you stand on the FINAL WL. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
oh lucky you!! congratulations. i've been trying to call for the last 45 minutes or so but nobody picks up and it goes to the voicemail. when did you get in touch with him?

EDIT: Middle 1/3....sigh.

For everyone's information: Mr. Rosso said that the ranking list is VERY mobile, and everyone WL'ed should call back on Monday, May 4th to find out where you stand on the FINAL WL. Good luck to all!

thanks! i gave him a call around 9:30. i found a thread from last year regarding waitlisted applicants at buffalo and it seems like there is definitely a chance of getting bumped from the middle third to the top third. he said it is possible that you can move down as well, but from what i've read at least this seems less likely. i believe they made it part way through the middle third last year, and a few years back they even made it to the bottom third!

im also on top third... do they eventually accept all top third applicants on the wait list?

That varies from year to year- they tend to accept the top 1/3, but for the last entering class they only barely got into the middle 1/3 (like 10 people or so) and the last person was called up the Friday before classes started.

The wait list moves A TON before it is finalized, since they interview until May. So if you're in the top 1/3, middle 1/3, whatever, there is a very good chance that you can move up or down. They add people in as they interview them, so no one's spot is static. They also keep acceptances open through the very last interview day, so that adds to movement once they are done interviewing. The list isn't finalized until the last interview is complete, which this year will be May 4 apparently. Good luck, it's a great school!! :)

ABOUT THE INTERMEDIATE POOL:

People do in fact get pulled out of the intermediate pool and invited to interview. I am one of said people- and here I am today!

I was complete in June last cycle, placed in the official intermediate pool in October, invited (very unexpectedly) for an interview in late March, and interviewed on the very last day which was May 1.

They don't take any updates, which is stressful and hard on the part of the applicant, and I'm pretty sure if you send them anyways they are never looked at. Just try and be patient- I wish everyone the best! I know the stress of this process is awful, but you will all make it through it for better or for worse!

People do in fact get pulled out of the intermediate pool and invited to interview. I am one of said people- and here I am today!

I was complete in June last cycle, placed in the official intermediate pool in October, invited (very unexpectedly) for an interview in late March, and interviewed on the very last day which was May 1.

They don't take any updates, which is stressful and hard on the part of the applicant, and I'm pretty sure if you send them anyways they are never looked at. Just try and be patient- I wish everyone the best! I know the stress of this process is awful, but you will all make it through it for better or for worse!

Dr. Severin said this year the number of application is around 3900 .... is that more or less than last year's application? perhaps that may affect the movement of the waitlist? what do you think?

1-accept08---------middle 1/3

1-wrasler913--------upper 1/3
2-chubbychaser-----upper 1/3
3-geffgeff----------upper 1/3
4-cardioguy1--------upper 1/3

:clap: Accepted from the waitlist :clap: :

Legend:
Red = bottom 1/3
blue = middle 1/3
orange = went from bottom 1/3 to middle 1/3
lime = upper 1/3
magenta = went from middle 1/3 to upper 1/3
purple = Accepted off the waitlist

Dr. Severin said this year the number of application is around 3900 .... is that more or less than last year's application? perhaps that may affect the movement of the waitlist? what do you think?

they received 3826 applications last year, so that number hasn't increased much. in terms of waitlist movement, i asked mr. rosso and it seems like he is anticipating similar results to last year. does anyone know how large the waitlist is at this point?

well, they took mine and sent me confirmation of it. :thumbup:

Boo, placed into "intermediate" (pre-interview) pool today, complete 8/28.

how did you find out? status page? mine still says "no action" since being complete in early September. ehhh

Dr. Severin had mentioned that UB does not like to use the term rejection, so I'm guessing non-accept is the equivalent of that... im sorry, good luck in the rest of this application process! don't give up! good luck. :)

Is Dr. Severin and MD PhD or MD?

Thank you.

Dr. Severin is an MD. He also teaches parts of anatomy at UB. Did anyone else call to find out their status on the waitlist, I really want to see what the list looks like now or how big it is as of now... :D:D:D

a bit off topic here but, which school would you guys rank higher, SUNY Downstate or SUNY Buffalo?? I recently got an interview invite from SD, and I just wanna hear your opinions thanks!! (right now its buffalo for me)

Dr. Severin is an MD. He also teaches parts of anatomy at UB. Did anyone else call to find out their status on the waitlist, I really want to see what the list looks like now or how big it is as of now... :D:D:D

a bit off topic here but, which school would you guys rank higher, SUNY Downstate or SUNY Buffalo?? I recently got an interview invite from SD, and I just wanna hear your opinions thanks!! (right now its buffalo for me)

He's an MD PhD according to the email I received from Buffalo

He is MD PhD.

Last edited:
In the email interview invitation, it said there would be information sent through mail but I either didn't get it or can't remember if I did and lost it. Can anyone let me know what was in there? Thx

EDIT: NVM found it haha

Is Dr. Severin and MD PhD or MD?

Thank you.

He was a PhD first and tought anatomy at more than one institution. He then got his MD at UB later. So he is an MD PdD

oops hahah sorry... I searched under UB's website for his name and it said he's an MD... I guess they just didnt put it up there. sry for the confusion guys :)

how did you find out? status page? mine still says "no action" since being complete in early September. ehhh

Likewise. I appreciate the simplicity of the application, but not waiting 6 months to hear anything at all.

Maybe try calling...

Last edited:
Interview invite for mid march. Complete since mid october.

Status
Not open for further replies.