2023-2024 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many apps Vandy got last year in the end? I thought it was close to 7500? I am watching their tracker and it has been stalled in the low 5000s for weeks. I am wondering if this year there is another dip in applicants (overall even). I know the high was 60,000 2 years ago, then 50,000 last year and maybe less this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many apps Vandy got last year in the end? I thought it was close to 7500? I am watching their tracker and it has been stalled in the low 5000s for weeks. I am wondering if this year there is another dip in applicants (overall even). I know the high was 60,000 2 years ago, then 50,000 last year and maybe less this year?
I think you might be confusing college apps vs med school apps. I don't think any med school is getting 50-60k apps...

I think you might be confusing college apps vs med school apps. I don't think any med school is getting 50-60k apps...
They're talking about 50-60k total apps to medical school in a single cycle

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They're talking about 50-60k total apps to medical school in a single cycle
There were just over 55,000 applicants to US Med schools in 2022.
This number includes AMCAS & TMDSAS but not AACOMAS

No single school gets that many apps and the 55,000 counts apps that were incomplete as well (some don't follow through on secondaries etc.)

Chart 1 - Applicants, First-Time Applicants, Repeat Applicants to U.S. Medical Schools, 1980-1...jpg

According to MSAR, last year there were 7268 total apps, 727 interviewed. Van's website says they receive on avg ~6200 applications yearly, and they expect to send ~600 interviews this year. But they also say they would start sending IIs in mid-July, apparently, it hasn't happened yet.

Where are you watching the tracker?

Is Vandy strict about returning a secondary in two weeks? I finally got verified by AMCAS last night, so I was expecting some time for Vandy to review me for a secondary, but I just got it this morning. I know the general "two weeks" mentality is wrong unless schools are explicit, but on MSAR, they say they "encourage secondaries to be submitted within 15 days of receipt." Please help bc Vandy is one of my favs and I do not want to mess anything up!

According to MSAR, last year there were 7268 total apps, 727 interviewed. Van's website says they receive on avg ~6200 applications yearly, and they expect to send ~600 interviews this year. But they also say they would start sending IIs in mid-July, apparently, it hasn't happened yet.
Yeah, this year they didn't send secondaries until when, July 26?
They have to read them now!

Think they’ll still send secondary’s at this point if my application was completed on July 1?

They say online "the earliest date date to be invited to interview" is July 31st, not necessarily that they'd start going out by then.

Yes sorry I meant total apps to med schools in the US. I thought I saw an AMCAS chart last week saying 49,000ish apps to that system in 2022. Which was down from about 60k the year prior. So I was thinking maybe with Vandy still recording about 5200 apps and leveling off at this point, that maybe this cycle the total med school apps will also be lower again....

Apparently Yale is sending out random emails to most applicants begging them to apply this cycle. ROFL. #MoneyGrab

Tracker on their site, which is very cool:

Has anyone gotten an interview invite there? i know it says the earliest you can get an invite is july 31st, but that feels really early

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten an interview invite there? i know it says the earliest you can get an invite is july 31st, but that feels really early
Nobody according to the tracker online: Welcome to MD Admissions

There's a possibility it could just not be updated, but I think it's highly unlikely and that as soon as interviews go out the tracker should follow shortly.

I was just looking at this. Last year it looks like IIs went out around the 3rd week of August, which was about 4 weeks after the first secondaries were sent out. They sent the first secondaries out around July 27th this year, so while we may see IIs in the next week or two, it's also possible that we won't see any until early September.

Reactions: 2 users
According to Vanderbilt's Interview Tracker, they have sent out 5 II's already

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
That's not true. There are 5! LOLOLOL
I said that like 4 days ago when there were no interview invites that had gone out at the time according to the tracker?

Lol nope! My guess is it's MSTP. I also took a couple days to submit my 2⁰ here (that 800 word autobiography was something) so I don't expect to be in the first wave even if I am lucky to receive an II. Hopefully more invites roll out soon for all of us!

I never got a secondary here with an MCAT >520 and 2 grad degrees (one being an SMP that’s a 4.0 and the other was another healthcare degree at 3.95). I think I got screened based on my uGPA being a 3.38. I was verified early June. Anyone else in any kind of similar situation?

Lol nope! My guess is it's MSTP. I also took a couple days to submit my 2⁰ here (that 800 word autobiography was something) so I don't expect to be in the first wave even if I am lucky to receive an II. Hopefully more invites roll out soon for all of us!
That is awesome. You were among the 5?

Does anyone know how much emphasis Vanderbilt places on returning the secondary within two weeks? I received it at the end of July and am debating whether it's worth completing.

Does anyone know how much emphasis Vanderbilt places on returning the secondary within two weeks? I received it at the end of July and am debating whether it's worth completing.
Do it

Reactions: 3 users
Do they let you know if you’re rejected pre secondary? Or is it more like a soft R moment. Bc I think I got screened out lmao rip

• Care
  • Wow
why is the Why Us essay an optional one lmfao

It's not a why us essay. It's how you first learned about/became interested in them. This would be a good time to demonstrate ties to the school. Answering it like a traditional why us essay could come across as disingenuous/not understanding the prompt.
Respectfully disagreed. It’s “how did you first become interested”, for which a why us could easily fit the prompt with some slight modification.

Respectfully disagreed. It’s “how did you first become interested”, for which a why us could easily fit the prompt with some slight modification.
Agree. You can start off your essay with your initial interest in the program then expand to show why you have continued interest. If you have strong ties, then you can incorporate those but modifying a “why us” essay should not hurt you.

True, I didn't think of it in that broader sense

no secondary submitted 8/9, do they tell you if you don't get a secondary?

no secondary submitted 8/9, do they tell you if you don't get a secondary?
No. Their official policy is that primaries are under constant review for a secondary throughout the cycle. If you don’t get a secondary you won’t find out until you receive a formal rejection later in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Their official policy is that primaries are under constant review for a secondary throughout the cycle. If you don’t get a secondary you won’t find out until you receive a formal rejection later in the cycle.

Anyone know how late they’ve sent secondaries in previous cycles? Feels pretty late to receive one now/September but wasn’t sure

Anyone know how late they’ve sent secondaries in previous cycles? Feels pretty late to receive one now/September but wasn’t sure
It looks like people got them through mid September last year? (Also, highly recommend looking at CycleTrack.org for tracking apps and seeing what happened in past years!)

OOS II Received! This is thrilling wow

Complete 7/28 :p

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Only 4 dates in September available right now

• Love
Bro how did you get an II at every school? did you cure cancer or something
Haha nah man, plenty of schools have skipped over me so far (12 from my list if you want to be exact). This is just a product of luck and submitted 2's early. Your time is coming!

Reactions: 5 users
Haha nah man, plenty of schools have skipped over me so far (12 from my list if you want to be exact). This is just a product of luck and submitted 2's early. Your time is coming!

Thanks haha! Wishing you luck in your interviews! You’re gonna be a pro by the end of the cycle

not skipped, ur secondaries are marinating in their inbox my boy

• Love
idk i wasn't the best at statistics, but something tells me that the data supports the rejection of this null hypothesis. this supports the alternative hypothesis that you are just built differently.

• Haha
OOS II! I'm shaking right now.... absolutely in disbelief😧. I submitted 7/28

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Nah they’re either sending one later or know you’re going somewhere better and yield protecting.

• Haha