2023-2024 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It certainly seems that they've gotten through most of the applicants. If you have stats that are signifcantly below their MSAR 10th percentile or other major deficiencies like 0 clinical hours, or a serious IA or criminal offense, I'd lean towards saying that it's very possible that you've been screened out.

But if you have an otherwise reasonably strong app, it doesn't seem they're too stringent on their screening, and would still be patient.
I have very good hours, but my uGPA is low. I have 2 grad degrees though (one being an SMP) that are 4.0. Plus MCAT >520 so idk what else I could have done. Oh well I guess, they were just my top choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have very good hours, but my uGPA is low. I have 2 grad degrees though (one being an SMP) that are 4.0. Plus MCAT >520 so idk what else I could have done. Oh well I guess, they were just my top choice.
It sounds like you have a strong app overall! I'd still hold out hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if their initial wholistic screen was done via an algorithm that sends the secondary to anyone within a certain stats threshold and/or hours in certain categories and then after that the remaining reviews were done manually. This is purely speculative, but just making the point that I wouldn't lose hope yet, especially with how strong your app sounds!

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you have a strong app overall! I'd still hold out hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if their initial wholistic screen was done via an algorithm that sends the secondary to anyone within a certain stats threshold and/or hours in certain categories and then after that the remaining reviews were done manually. This is purely speculative, but just making the point that I wouldn't lose hope yet, especially with how strong your app sounds!
I agree, admissions is a black box, nobody who's not on the admissions committee can tell you exactly how it works. It's still pretty early, the first batch just started going out literally yesterday. I wouldn't count yourself out unless you haven't received a secondary by Labor Day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Vandy send out a rejection once they’ve decided you aren’t worthy of a secondary? It would be nice to know either way…

Is it safe to assume anyone who hasn't heard back has been screened out? I was verified late (like a week ago) but it looks like they've gotten through most applicants. I'm guessing my GPA killed me, since my MCAT is above their 10th percentile

Last edited:
I don't think the apps number is updated fully. What's it at, like 4200? In 2021 they received over 7000 I think, and gave out 4000+ secondaries

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think the apps number is updated fully. What's it at, like 4200? In 2021 they received over 7000 I think, and gave out 4000+ secondaries
Maybe. It does seem crazy that 83% of applicants have received a secondary, based on the numbers on the site

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe not, but it seems weird that they would update the number of secondaries sent and not the number of primaries received. The number of primaries has also definitely received an update from earlier this week when it was at 4268 even just a couple days ago.

I wouldn't be shocked if from this point the number of people who receive secondaries is limited. It's probably the case that the people who have not yet sent their primaries in are less likely to have their stuff together and more likely to be those who (unfortunately but realistically) have no shot applying to Vanderbilt.

Maybe not, but it seems weird that they would update the number of secondaries sent and not the number of primaries received. The number of primaries has also definitely received an update from earlier this week when it was at 4268 even just a couple days ago.

I wouldn't be shocked if from this point the number of people who receive secondaries is limited. It's probably the case that the people who have not yet sent their primaries in are less likely to have their stuff together and more likely to be those who (unfortunately but realistically) have no shot applying to Vanderbilt.
I'm inclined to believe this as a pessimist, but 3000 fewer applications from last year is pretty crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
"How did you first become interested in Vanderbilt University School of Medicine?"

Should this prompt be answered as a Why Vanderbilt kind of essay?

Answering it as why Vanderbilt would seem pretty dishonest because of the phrasing "how did you first become interested"

"How did you first become interested in Vanderbilt University School of Medicine?"

Answering it as why Vanderbilt would seem pretty dishonest because of the phrasing "how did you first become interested"
I literally write about applying to them for college so...

I'm inclined to believe this as a pessimist, but 3000 fewer applications from last year is pretty crazy.
bcuz it's only july. people can submit applications for like the next 7 months. we are the early ones

Yeah "Why are you interested" is different from "how did you first become interested"

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly agree, and I think over the coming months they'll receive another 3000 to get them around to where they were last year. I just think the pool of applicants submitting late will be significantly weaker than this first initial pool so that the secondary receiving rate of this later pool will be far lower than 83% (late application correlates with less likely to have their stuff together regarding other parts of their app).

I'm not sure if the number of primary apps received is updated, but I certainly think it's plausible that the current numbers on their site are actually accurate, and that a weaker pool applying late may receive 1200 secondaries out of 3000 late applicants so that we end up at ~5000 secondaries sent and ~7600 applications or something like that to roughly reach the 2/3 secondary receiving rate they mention on their website.

I certainly agree, and I think over the coming months they'll receive another 3000 to get them around to where they were last year. I just think the pool of applicants submitting late will be significantly weaker than this first initial pool so that the secondary receiving rate of this later pool will be far lower than 83% (late application correlates with less likely to have their stuff together regarding other parts of their app).

I'm not sure if the number of primary apps received is updated, but I certainly think it's plausible that the current numbers on their site are actually accurate, and that a weaker pool applying late may receive 1200 secondaries out of 3000 late applicants so that we end up at ~5000 secondaries sent and ~7600 applications or something like that to roughly reach the 2/3 secondary receiving rate they mention on their website.
Labe pulled out the statistical analysis

I noticed that the secondary sent number keeps tricking up a bit… here’s to hoping us non-trads who have attempted reinvention aren’t slayed by the stat screen…

I noticed that the secondary sent number keeps tricking up a bit… here’s to hoping us non-trads who have attempted reinvention aren’t slayed by the stat screen…
Yeah they might have to be taken off the reinvention list otherwise

Ig I was overshooting w 508 mcat and got screened out. My primary application was verified on June 27th.
Vanderbilt was my overreach school, so it make sense. I appreciate having secondary screening because it save applicant time and money.

Ig I was overshooting w 508 mcat and got screened out. My primary application was verified on June 27th.
Vanderbilt was my overreach school, so it make sense. I appreciate having secondary screening because it save applicant time and money.
I’m a URM with a 514 who got screened out. Supreme court came at me fast 😭

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users

Agreed, I was thinking of leaving it blank because I became interested through MSAR lol but I'm not sure what the best approach is

I left it blank because I think they are looking for answers like family/faculty connections, local ties, summer programs, or fairs attended with them, which I have none of. Vandy is very particular with secondary wording and so the fact that it asks first interested tells me a traditional why us would not be appreciated lol.

for #3 all y'all doing like a research/academic story, or a more personal story like adversity/challenge?

got vandy secondary a couple days ago.. wasn’t expecting it since

have 510 MCAT and 3.86 cGPA, definitely have other good things in my app but any thoughts on what the deal is? not sure how common this is since i know they screen and have super high mcat avg

also app was received by vandy on 7/1/23

Last edited:
got vandy secondary a couple days ago.. wasn’t expecting it since

have 510 MCAT and 3.86 cGPA, definitely have other good things in my app: bilingual with focus on underserved spanish speaking patients, community service award, couple non first author pubs, mentorship, fulbright semifinalist, honors thesis etc but

any thoughts on what the deal is? not sure how common this is since i know they screen and have super high mcat avg

also app was received by vandy on 7/1/23
Just according to the raw data, knowing nothing else about you, each applicant a 15% chance of getting an interview after receiving the secondary, which is a pretty good shot as far as medical schools go. I think everyone who gets one should submit a secondary unless you aren't really interested in the school. Sounds like you have an interesting background so I would definitely go for it!

These look the same as the regular MD questions- are there additional questions for MSTP applicants?
Only difference is that the word count for the COVID essay is 500 words, not 200 words

Anyone who got the “app received” from Vandy on 7/20 or later still waiting on a secondary?

Haven't gotten any app received email or secondaries from Vandy - verified primary 7/12
LM 79, about 1500 hours of research with presentations as of primary application

primary sent in 7/26 (when my mcat scores were released), got secondary on 7/30. trad ORM w a 516 mcat and not really anything special. Was pretty surprised. Just keep waiting, I'm sure many more are coming out soon.

Decided to apply to Vandy late; submitted primary on 7/31 and received secondary on 8/2

Is the last question, "How did you first become interested in Vanderbilt University School of Medicine?" essentially a "Why Us?" or should I be more specific about how I first gained interest in Vandy (e.g., read X during my initial research of the school)? Idk if what I'm trying to communicate makes any sense...

Is the last question, "How did you first become interested in Vanderbilt University School of Medicine?" essentially a "Why Us?" or should I be more specific about how I first gained interest in Vandy (e.g., read X during my initial research of the school)? Idk if what I'm trying to communicate makes any sense...
I basically mentioned within the first 1-2 sentences why Vandy caught my interest when I was researching schools and then transitioned into more Why Vandy essay.

If you have a strong reason as to why Vanderbilt was on your radar then probably make the whole point of the essay about that. I discovered them via a huge researcher and I wrote about that and how I could further that at Vanderbilt considering they have these large award winners and amazing facilities. I think it depends on if you have a strong reason or not!

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt sends secondaries later in the cycle (ie. Late August or September)? It’s the only secondary I’m still waiting on and idk whether to let go of the delusion now or later

Bruh I thought I got screened out with LM 79 but turns out I never applied to Vandy lmao

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Does anyone know if Vanderbilt sends secondaries later in the cycle (ie. Late August or September)? It’s the only secondary I’m still waiting on and idk whether to let go of the delusion now or later
Last cycle they sent out a second wave of secondaries on 8/19!

Am I the only one without a secondary still? This is the only place I'm missing one.

I just submitted my application two days ago and got a secondary this morning, maybe check that all your info and everything is in and that it didn't go to spam? Fingers crossed for you :)