2023-2024 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Application Type: I am applying to the MSTP, but I would like to be considered for medical school if not admitted to the MSTP.
(there is a checkbox here) Both MD and MD-PhD

Location of Study: Please choose one: UCLA, UCLA/Caltech, Caltech

Simply list the names of faculty at UCLA (incl. research area) whose work is of interest to you (e.g. Joe Bruin, Neuroscience).

Simply list the names of faculty at Caltech (incl. research area) whose work is of interest to you (e.g. John Smith, Engineering).

Areas of Interest:
checkboxes for around 20 areas

Research Experience: Please list the following: PI of lab, name of direct supervisor, institution, start and end dates, total number of hours spent on each project, role in lab (i.e. paid/volunteer research position).

References: (Please list the names of people who submitted a letter of recommendation in support of your MSTP application to AMCAS. For this section, please list ONLY those whose letter is relevant to your research experience/s):

Publications: Please list all of your publications and manuscripts in press (please do not include submitted manuscripts), with a full list of authors, title, journal, issue, and page number, and provide a PubMed ID number (if applicable). Please describe in one sentence your role in that publication (i.e., "I designed and performed the experiments described in Figure X and Y, I analyzed data for Figure Z, and I wrote portions of the manuscript.” (do not list Abstracts or any presentations at research conferences).

Statement of Purpose: Why do you want to attend UCLA/Caltech for your training?
4000 characters

OPTIONAL Personal Comments (Is there anything that you would like for us to consider when reviewing your MSTP application):
4000 characters
If you elect NOT to be considered for MD-only, you still have to complete the original prompts right (Q1-5)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know what exactly they are screening for? As long as you cross a stats threshold? Certain level of clinical hours?

Reactions: 1 user
anyone know what exactly they are screening for? As long as you cross a stats threshold? Certain level of clinical hours?
I think they really like disadvantaged applicants/applicants who show service with the underserved

Anybody able to post PRIME-LA prompts? @monkeym8 ? Please 🙏🫶
What is the most important social issue confronting the health of marginalized and under-resourced communities? Describe the first steps you would take to address this issue.

In what way will graduating from PRIME-LA and obtaining a master's degree enhance your career in health care or health services for marginalized and under-resourced communities? (If you are considering a specific master’s degree (e.g., MPP, MPH, MBA, etc.), please incorporate your graduate degree plans or aspirations into your answer)

Describe how your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, marginalized and under-resourced communities.

What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school?

Describe your most memorable experience as it relates to working with marginalized and under-resourced populations.

What is the most important social issue confronting the health of marginalized and under-resourced communities? Describe the first steps you would take to address this issue.

In what way will graduating from PRIME-LA and obtaining a master's degree enhance your career in health care or health services for marginalized and under-resourced communities? (If you are considering a specific master’s degree (e.g., MPP, MPH, MBA, etc.), please incorporate your graduate degree plans or aspirations into your answer)

Describe how your experiences demonstrate your understanding of, and commitment to, marginalized and under-resourced communities.

What are your greatest strengths and your greatest challenges as you approach medical school?

Describe your most memorable experience as it relates to working with marginalized and under-resourced populations.
Thankk you so much! Do you mind sharing the characters/word limit too?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS (TX, maybe they're going in regions?) secondary received at 6:01am after primary acknowledgement on 6/2.

Verified 6/8 (throw away school). I submitted my primary to UCLA last night (7/18) at 10:30 pm and received an acknowledgment email at 2 am; a secondary invitation was received at 3 am (7/19). IS applicant, ORM, Low MCAT.

Anyone else still not received a secondary? 😅 application received email on 7/2, OOS, LizzyM 81

+1 OOS Secondary this morning! kinda surprised, i have 0 research hours
UCLA has been a dream since high school :')

I saw on their website that they require three to 5 letters, with a committee letter counting as one letter. My committee letter comes with the individual letters attached. Does anyone know if I will need to notify them or if they will consider the application complete with that letter?

I saw on their website that they require three to 5 letters, with a committee letter counting as one letter. My committee letter comes with the individual letters attached. Does anyone know if I will need to notify them or if they will consider the application complete with that letter?
my letters were the same way and the portal says my app is complete

IS still waiting for secondary invite :/

For those that are still waiting, do any of yall have IAs? Based on threads from previous years, it def looks like there's some filter/manual review step for people with IAs on their primary :/

IS received! anyone have any info on the two pathways (global and urban)? can't find much info online, are they new? and do they require a ton of extra work?
That is my question as well! I have no idea, they look very interesting, but the information is limited.

For Global, it seems that there is a three-week elective out of the country after 1st year and then 6-9 months out of the country at the beginning of your 4th.

For Urban, working in South LA and research/capstone project

They look interesting at least

For those that are still waiting, do any of yall have IAs? Based on threads from previous years, it def looks like there's some filter/manual review step for people with IAs on their primary :/
I do too. thinking prob will get screened out but still shoot my shot

IS secondary received 7/18. Verified 7/17. Crap stats and 8/9 preview so I have no idea what screening there is, if any

UCSF and UCLA better reject me or send me their secondary before I go to Disneyland in Mid August because the entire point of that trip was supposed to be celebrating knowing I was done with all this bs until interviews

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
this is kind of a stupid question but my brain is broken. when they say outstanding physician AND…, do they want us to fill in that blank? or can we answer more generally?
Yes, they want you to fill in the blank!

OOS secondary received!! Verified 6/20

Last edited by a moderator:
IS secondary received! Verified 6/2. Just got my preview of 9 back this week so idk if that had a factor. Now to wait on UCSF…

for the "most important volunteer work" question, do yall think it means specifically community service, or can it be any volunteering (research, clinical, or service)?
Clinical and service work, would not write about a research experience or other academic experience like being a chem TA even if it was unpaid

That is my question as well! I have no idea, they look very interesting, but the information is limited.

For Global, it seems that there is a three-week elective out of the country after 1st year and then 6-9 months out of the country at the beginning of your 4th.

For Urban, working in South LA and research/capstone project

They look interesting at least
For global health, there's also a selective that occurs during lunch every once in a while. You basically sit, learn, and discuss topics in global health over lunch. Global health has been running for quite a few years.

Urban pathway is very, very new (this year).

Reactions: 1 users
OOS Secondary received early this morning. Verified 7/6, receipt of application 7/7. Preview date in August.

International, secondary received 6:00 AM EST today! Over the moon and very shocked! Verified 7/21, receipt of application also this morning at 5:00 AM!! Preview in July but no score yet.

Are we supposed to fill out the ABC prompts with the same line of thought as the outstanding physician and ___? As in we incorporate aspects of what we filled in the blank for the ABC prompts as well? In all honesty I am not sure if I could connect all of them like that.

Are we supposed to fill out the ABC prompts with the same line of thought as the outstanding physician and ___? As in we incorporate aspects of what we filled in the blank for the ABC prompts as well? In all honesty I am not sure if I could connect all of them like that.
I Don’t think so. Im answering all of them differently.

Oh that’s what I did…

Oh that’s what I did…
Yeah, I am pretty sure you are supposed to link them, as the prompt specifically asks you to do that.

2) Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".
Prompt A, B, C