2023-2024 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ED applicant. Submitted secondary 7/11/23, was notified of application being under review 7/18/23.

Members don't see this ad :)
ED submitted same date but still not under review
I've heard of some instances where apps are under review yet they don't get the email notifying them. I just got mine yesterday around 4pm.

Reactions: 1 user
Some unsolicited advice to temper expectations and neuroticism concerning application status from a fellow applicant. Tulane SOM received 16,000 applications for its class of 2026. According to their fact sheet, the class was comprised of 190 students. From their white coat ceremony, approximately 105 of those 190 completed at least 1 undergraduate or graduate degree from Tulane. The remaining 85 students come from approximately 80 colleges. Not exactly the best odds for those of us who didn't graduate from Tulane.

With that being said, their medical school is wonderful, and I'm sure myself and everyone else in this forum would be privileged to attend. However, I just wish they would be a bit more transparent regarding their extremely heavy bias for alma mater, particularly as a private institution. I can't imagine the other 15.5 thousand of us are getting much of a look for the remaining 85 seats, though I can't say I blame them for still encouraging 16,000 applications, as I, too, wouldn't mind the nearly 2 million dollars in secondary fee income.

Wish I looked into that beforehand lol

Reactions: 3 users
wondered why i wasn't getting a secondary... lmao apparently i never submitted my primary to Tulane! RIP. wish me luck yall

Reactions: 2 users
Received under view email this morning. Secondary submitted 7/5

Some unsolicited advice to temper expectations and neuroticism concerning application status from a fellow applicant. Tulane SOM received 16,000 applications for its class of 2026. According to their fact sheet, the class was comprised of 190 students. From their white coat ceremony, approximately 105 of those 190 completed at least 1 undergraduate or graduate degree from Tulane. The remaining 85 students come from approximately 80 colleges. Not exactly the best odds for those of us who didn't graduate from Tulane.

With that being said, their medical school is wonderful, and I'm sure myself and everyone else in this forum would be privileged to attend. However, I just wish they would be a bit more transparent regarding their extremely heavy bias for alma mater, particularly as a private institution. I can't imagine the other 15.5 thousand of us are getting much of a look for the remaining 85 seats, though I can't say I blame them for still encouraging 16,000 applications, as I, too, wouldn't mind the nearly 2 million dollars in secondary fee income.
Yup. Tulane has 1yr BMS Master Programs and these programs (i.e Biochemistry, Micro/Immuno, Anatomy) all tend to feed into Tulane SOM program, with the majority of those students doing ED Tulane. Even if they are pushed to regular decision, they are still favored over other RD applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. Tulane has 1yr BMS Master Programs and these programs (i.e Biochemistry, Micro/Immuno, Anatomy) all tend to feed into Tulane SOM program, with the majority of those students doing ED Tulane. Even if they are pushed to regular decision, they are still favored over other RD applicants.

Rejected last year tho, guess my stats aren’t good enough

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Just received new grades from summer courses, all A's. When submitting an update through the application portal should I just upload a copy of my official transcript, or do I write a formal letter along with the transcript. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Verified 7/12 and just got the secondary today. Submitted ASAP but like... why did it take so long to get the secondary... I feel like I'm at a big disadvantage for this school now😭

OOS applicant. Verified 6/7, but I'm pretty worried cause I still havent recieved the secondary yet. Have they just screened me out or do I just need to keep waiting?

OOS applicant. Verified 6/7, but I'm pretty worried cause I still havent recieved the secondary yet. Have they just screened me out or do I just need to keep waiting?

From what I’ve heard Tulane doesn’t screen on secondaries

Received secondary on 7/5, Submitted on 7/6, and just received the "under review" email today!

Anyone know when Tulane starts rolling out interview invites? I received one last year in late September but applied much earlier this year.

Anyone know when Tulane starts rolling out interview invites? I received one last year in late September but applied much earlier this year.

For early decision, interview invites occur on or around August 1st. Regular decision starts after that sometime in August

Reactions: 2 users
Any word on II for ED applicants? They started hearing back Aug 1st last year not sure what time

I would also note that there are questions asking 1) if you worked for Americorps, Peace Corps or Teach for America and 2) if you studied abroad. If you answer yes to either of these, a prompt shows up to give a short description (100 words).
i didn't see this and learned the hard way. Also, there's another that asks: What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (correct me if I'm wrong, but i think no limit)

I would also note that there are questions asking 1) if you worked for Americorps, Peace Corps or Teach for America and 2) if you studied abroad. If you answer yes to either of these, a prompt shows up to give a short description (100 words).
@mitskigirl are these two questions definitely in this year's secondary?
Thanks if you or someone else can confirm.

@mitskigirl are these two questions definitely in this year's secondary?
Thanks if you or someone else can confirm.
They are. I submitted it already, so not sure if there's a limit for Q1 or hidden questions for Q8 and 9, if you selected "yes". Here are the questions under the "Personal Information" tab:

1. Were you previously interviewed at Tulane University School of Medicine?
2. Please list the undergraduate university you are attending or have graduated from:
3. Have you graduated? (y/n) What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (no limit shown)
4. Are you currently working or have you worked for one of the following organizations - Americorps, Peace Corps, Teach for America? (100 words?)
5. Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? (y/n) Please give a short description. (100 words)
6. Are you currently volunteering abroad or have you volunteered abroad? (y/n) Please give a short description. (100 words)
7. Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)
8. Are you currently serving or have you served in the United States Military? (y/n)
9. Are you an Eagle Scout or Received the Gold Award from the Girl Scouts? (y/n)
10. Are you fluent in a second language? (y/n) What language?
11. Are you a first generation college student? (y/n)
12. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words)

optional
13. Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? (60 words) If you indicated a group above, would you like to be placed in contact after your interview day with a student who identifies similarly? (y/n) How would you like to be contacted?
14. In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (no limit shown)

Got my "under review" email today. Complete on the 14th

They are. I submitted it already, so not sure if there's a limit for Q1 or hidden questions for Q8 and 9, if you selected "yes". Here are the questions under the "Personal Information" tab:

1. Were you previously interviewed at Tulane University School of Medicine?
2. Please list the undergraduate university you are attending or have graduated from:
3. Have you graduated? (y/n) What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (no limit shown)
4. Are you currently working or have you worked for one of the following organizations - Americorps, Peace Corps, Teach for America? (100 words?)
5. Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? (y/n) Please give a short description. (100 words)
6. Are you currently volunteering abroad or have you volunteered abroad? (y/n) Please give a short description. (100 words)
7. Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)
8. Are you currently serving or have you served in the United States Military? (y/n)
9. Are you an Eagle Scout or Received the Gold Award from the Girl Scouts? (y/n)
10. Are you fluent in a second language? (y/n) What language?
11. Are you a first generation college student? (y/n)
12. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words)

optional
13. Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? (60 words) If you indicated a group above, would you like to be placed in contact after your interview day with a student who identifies similarly? (y/n) How would you like to be contacted?
14. In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (no limit shown)
Thank you @Cotton Candy Lover I appreciate the chance to make our SDN secondary question sharing as complete as possible

• Care
So I submitted on 07/31 and in my confirmation email I got this: "Your portal will have a red exclamation point stating you are in progress and this will remain until you are assigned to a screener.".

When I log in to my portal I don't see a red exclamation point anywhere. Can someone please tell me where to look? Under my status tab, all the items have a green check mark.