2023-2024 Southern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for you all to receive an II after submitting your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

First committee meeting was yesterday! I’m hoping to see a letter in the mail soon. Anybody received it already?

Members don't see this ad :)
First committee meeting was yesterday! I’m hoping to see a letter in the mail soon. Anybody received it already?

I’d say the first people who would get it is tomorrow cuz it’s snail mail lol. I think majority will receive it Friday. Maybe. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 user
Did they tell you at interview they would be sending it out near the 27th? At mine they said around mid October

The letter won’t mean a ton anyway. If you’re not rejected SIU puts you on AWPA which is a combination of both waitlist and accepted students. Some 15% of people on the AWPA never get fully accepted. None of us will know if we’re really accepted until one of the acceptance batches which I think are in November, Jan, and March, or once there is “waitlist” movement as people decide on other schools. Getting an AWPA is a good thing and those of us who get it will be very deserving of some good news, but it’ll be a bit longer of a wait for the full A! I just want everyone to be prepared and informed as to how things will go.

The letter won’t mean a ton anyway. If you’re not rejected SIU puts you on AWPA which is a combination of both waitlist and accepted students. Some 15% of people on the AWPA never get fully accepted. None of us will know if we’re really accepted until one of the acceptance batches which I think are in November, Jan, and March, or once there is “waitlist” movement as people decide on other schools. Getting an AWPA is a good thing and those of us who get it will be very deserving of some good news, but it’ll be a bit longer of a wait for the full A! I just want everyone to be prepared and informed as to how things will go.

Tru but I think AWPA is a pretty big deal imo. If you get it, you basically get a 90% chance of getting the full A according to the director. Thats a heck of a bigger percentage than other school probabilities.

Tru but I think AWPA is a pretty big deal imo. If you get it, you basically get a 90% chance of getting the full A according to the director. Thats a heck of a bigger percentage than other school probabilities.
You’re totally right and I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise. I just mean if you get on AWPA it’s possible to not get the full acceptance until like June of next year!

AWPA letter in the mail today! Looks like it was mailed out on the 28th. I’m very excited about this and I’m hopeful that you all get one too! Let us know if you did :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for anyone that has scheduled/done an interview: When you gave them your 4 possible dates, how long before those dates did they confirm which date?

Question for anyone that has scheduled/done an interview: When you gave them your 4 possible dates, how long before those dates did they confirm which date?
I had to fly in so I ended up emailing them a week after sending my availability and got my date. They also sent me my approved date and agenda about 2 weeks out.

Appeal to school-specific thread: SIUSOM recommended PREview for the 2023-2024 cycle.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!

Does anyone know when the first batch of acceptances come out? I think last year, it was supposed to come out before Thanksgiving break (I think) but was pushed to after Thanksgiving break. Anyone know when it comes out this year?

Does anyone know when the first batch of acceptances come out? I think last year, it was supposed to come out before Thanksgiving break (I think) but was pushed to after Thanksgiving break. Anyone know when it comes out this year?
December, February, and March according to my AWPA letter. I don’t have any higher resolution on exactly when during those months the offers will be sent out :/

December, February, and March according to my AWPA letter. I don’t have any higher resolution on exactly when during those months the offers will be sent out :/

giphy.gif

Last year the first wave was at the very end of November so maybe that’ll be the same this year hopefully

Current MS here. I believe last year the first wave of acceptances went out the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (historically, has been in December). I remember being really upset because my committee meeting was not until Dec 6th. If this happens to you, do not get down - easier said than done, I know. But, there are two more batches after that, & surprisingly quite a bit drop/accept at other med schools around April 30th! Good luck to everyone this cycle :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Welp I guess that’s the first wave then. Ig we have to wait until January for the next

Welp I guess that’s the first wave then. Ig we have to wait until January for the next

I think first batch also extends til tomorrow (at least it did last year based on last years thread) So have hope.

Second batch of A went out?
idk, I thought it was supposed to be at the end of the month as well and nobody else has said anything about the second batch...but I'm sitting here with an A addressed to me and the letter as well.... I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth....

idk, I thought it was supposed to be at the end of the month as well and nobody else has said anything about the second batch...but I'm sitting here with an A addressed to me and the letter as well.... I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth....

Lol W is a W. Congrats!!!

How are individual A’s coming out in between batches?! I didn’t know that was a possibility…

I dont think they are individual. I think the second batch was sent out.
I don’t think the second batch was sent out. I called the dean earlier last week and she said the second batch isn’t going to be sent out until end of January. So I’m really confused now.

I don’t think the second batch was sent out. I called the dean earlier last week and she said the second batch isn’t going to be sent out until end of January. So I’m really confused now.
idk either im not questioning it though. im thinking maybe theyre filling as people are giving up seats from the first batch? idk

I just spoke to the director of admissions and she confirmed that the second batch hasn't gone out yet. She said they will be meeting Jan 30 to discuss the second batch and if you are accepted will be notified via email most likely by the end of that week.

Reactions: 2 users
Received AWPA letter today. Interviewed 11/17

Received AWPA letter today. Interviewed 11/17
+1. Anyone have a clue about the # of people that get put on the AWPA list? I've seen in past threads that they end up accepting ~ 120 students (give or take) based on the original 72 + replacements for those who choose other schools. I wish we knew a percentage of the AWPA list that actually gets an A

+1. Anyone have a clue about the # of people that get put on the AWPA list? I've seen in past threads that they end up accepting ~ 120 students (give or take) based on the original 72 + replacements for those who choose other schools. I wish we knew a percentage of the AWPA list that actually gets an A
From what I remember from interview day, around 10-15% of people on the AWPA list don’t end up getting an A. Or maybe a little higher, can anyone else confirm ?

I heard it was like 20-30% each year from AWPA don’t get officially accepted. I could be wrong, but that’s what I remember reading especially from posts of previous cycles. Here’s hoping we’re part of that second batch

Yeah I just checked the welcome video that was sent for the interview and it says around 20% each year never make it off the list

Yeah I just checked the welcome video that was sent for the interview and it says around 20% each year never make it off the list
Gotcha thanks for the info guys. So we basically have an ~ 80% chance for that A... best of luck to yall let's get it