2023-2024 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
what if we dont hear back today.........

Reactions: 1 user
It’s second look day so they are prob busy and either aren’t sending today or will send them later than normal. They are for sure still sending out waitlists but I think they are getting close to limit of what MSAR says for the number of waitlist members who typically get accepted
what if we dont hear back today........

It’s second look day so they are prob busy and either aren’t sending today or will send them later than normal. They are for sure still sending out waitlists but I think they are getting close to limit of what MSAR says for the number of waitlist members who typically get accepted
so you think we might be entering R territory? :(

so you think we might be entering R territory? :(
Technically no, they still have many weeks of WL to give out, just saying that the sooner the better cuz it’s approaching half way of waitlists which is typically the number of ppl who end up getting in. However from what I’ve gathered, the WL will be the same number as past years (150) but I don’t think the number accepted currently (in the 300s) is more than a normal year either. Given the class size is larger means that the 70ish ppl who get off the waitlist might be an underestimate for this year. Despite all that it’s not exact math and I don’t really ~know~ anything so it’s all up in the air now.

Technically no, they still have many weeks of WL to give out, just saying that the sooner the better cuz it’s approaching half way of waitlists which is typically the number of ppl who end up getting in. However from what I’ve gathered, the WL will be the same number as past years (150) but I don’t think the number accepted currently (in the 300s) is more than a normal year either. Given the class size is larger means that the 70ish ppl who get off the waitlist might be an underestimate for this year. Despite all that it’s not exact math and I don’t really ~know~ anything so it’s all up in the air now.
i think they are still giving out As as well

Based on the fb group number I thought so too but according to someone I know at the school I think it’s WL only. Could be wrong but pretty sure
i don’t think that makes sense because i think they haven’t reviewed some applications. unless the person at the school talked to admissions i would go by numbers

no news to anyone today?
From looking through the past 2 years threads, it seems that the next 2 Fridays are our last hope to be accepted or waitlisted. For the past 2 years there has seemingly been just 1 post-II R wave right before the May 1st deadline in that last week.... praying for good news for all of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
FB added 13 new members today,totaling 329.

no news to anyone today?
From looking through the past 2 years threads, it seems that the next 2 Fridays are our last hope to be accepted or waitlisted. For the past 2 years there has seemingly been just 1 post-II R wave right before the May 1st deadline in that last week.... praying for good news for all of us.
Have they sent As out after the WL wave in the past?

I interviewed for the LEAD program and it's most likely full according to people who have attended the 2nd look day. I am still waiting to hear back but not expecting an acceptance or even a waitlist for LEAD. Is there a world in which I can still be hopeful about regular MD program?

Crazzzy AAMC expects us to narrow down to 3 schools on 4/15, yet UMass hasn't sent out decisions as of today, 1 week away from 4/15.

Reactions: 1 users
Not holding my breath for more acceptances at this point :( already starting looking for premed postbacc to strengthen my application for next cycle

• Care
Not holding my breath for more acceptances at this point :( already starting looking for premed postbacc to strengthen my application for next cycle
Keep your head up! It's not over till it's over, but never a bad idea to plan for the worst

anyone heard anything today?? /what time do the emails usually come? (apologies for the neuroticism)

anyone heard anything today?? /what time do the emails usually come? (apologies for the neuroticism)
i emailed admissions and they said that all decisions will be sent out by the end of this month

IMG_6892.jpeg

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
WL yesterday and interviewed in October for LEAD

Reactions: 2 users
Do we think if we haven’t heard anything at this point it is likely an R?? I’m so confused by this

Any current students willing to share how AOA/Internal Ranking/MSPE Adjectives have affected their med school experience? MSAR says that "students are not ranked, but a committee meets to review overall performance." Not sure exactly what this means and am making a decision between schools.

Anyone else who withdrew yesterday not here anything back? This is the only school that wasn't updated on the CYMS portal after my withdrawal. Wondering if it was only me

Any current students willing to share how AOA/Internal Ranking/MSPE Adjectives have affected their med school experience? MSAR says that "students are not ranked, but a committee meets to review overall performance." Not sure exactly what this means and am making a decision between schools.
Not a student (yet) but from my conversations with current students, it only affects you if you want it to. Also, internal rankings are used my faculty more to keep a pulse on how students are doing. Students mentioned how faculty reached out to them to offer help before they even requested it just based on how they were doing in class. Faculty also mentioned they use rankings internally just to have a sense how the overall class is doing, especially in response to curriculum changes. So it’s more of a metric on their end that doesn’t really affect you that much. Also, with everything going P/F, it’s harder to distinguish yourself on residency apps, so having these metrics can be beneficial for you during clerkships if you want to go into a competitive field, especially so you don’t have to solely rely on your letters/research. You can also choose to not worry about it at all and just do your best.

Reactions: 3 users
Not a student (yet) but from my conversations with current students, it only affects you if you want it to. Also, internal rankings are used my faculty more to keep a pulse on how students are doing. Students mentioned how faculty reached out to them to offer help before they even requested it just based on how they were doing in class. Faculty also mentioned they use rankings internally just to have a sense how the overall class is doing, especially in response to curriculum changes. So it’s more of a metric on their end that doesn’t really affect you that much. Also, with everything going P/F, it’s harder to distinguish yourself on residency apps, so having these metrics can be beneficial for you during clerkships if you want to go into a competitive field, especially so you don’t have to solely rely on your letters/research. You can also choose to not worry about it at all and just do your best.
From someone who has been there, this is not what people want to hear.

Every single school ranks students. Whether or not rankings are released to residency programs is at the school's discretion. Occasionally, rankings are made public.

A student's rank determines which adjective is used to describe them in their MSPE. This allows residency programs to know where a student falls in their school's ranking, which they will most likely use to inform their evaluation of you as an applicant and decision.

A student's rank determines which advective is used to describe them in their MSPE. This allows residency programs to know where a student falls in their school's ranking, which they will most likely use to inform their evaluation of you as an applicant and decision.
Is this negative?

Is this negative?
A school's use of adjectives probably fosters a more competitive and less chill environment. Students grind to be in the top 10% of their class and it isn't really a "true" P/F system if the school is using this code to communicate class ranks with residency programs. Some people may view this as a negative.

I think maybe you’re misinterpreting my post or misread it. It was nothing negative, since the school themselves framed it that way. I was trying to say how rankings are not an issue at this school.
Don't want to go back and forth with you at all, but this "P = MD" stuff is not why people come to SDN for advice. Sometimes, when we've wracked our brains and there's no other solution, "just try not to worry about it" IS the answer. But most of the time (and for most of the personalities here), it isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to go back and forth with you at all, but this "P = MD" stuff is not why people come to SDN for advice. Sometimes, when we've wracked our brains and there's no other solution, "just try not to worry about it" IS the answer. But most of the time (and for most of the personalities here), it isn't.
It’s not what people come to SDN for, but it is sound advice and advice passed along by students and physicians.

• Inappropriate
For those who don't know, you can find info about rankings on FREIDA. Very helpful website akin to AAMC for pre-meds.

It’s not what people come to SDN for, but it is sound advice and advice passed along by students and physicians.
I don't think it's entirely good advice to not care about the use of internal rankings and adjectives.

Some people may use it to inform their decision on which school to go to.

• Love
Also, it is not always rankings i.e. Jimmy, Sally, James, Sarah etc. Usually students are ranked in terms of quartiles.