2023-2024 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The whole review process seems pretty vague. I looked at Einstein and LCME's websites and couldn't find any specifics about what could put the school under probation. Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current student chime in on why they believe the school is on probation? The lack of transparency is highly frustrating, especially after dropping a bunch of $$ to apply here

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current student chime in on why they believe the school is on probation? The lack of transparency is highly frustrating, especially after dropping a bunch of $$ to apply here
Tbh I thought it was kinda nice they thought to reach out and keep us updated about something like this. For me personally, I would have never even thought to check a school's accreditation status unless I was ready to commit

Reactions: 7 users
Tbh I thought it was kinda nice they thought to reach out and keep us updated about something like this. For me personally, I would have never even thought to check a school's accreditation status unless I was ready to commit
In my head its more them getting ahead of the bad PR bc they know someone on SDN or reddit would check and find out

Reactions: 6 users
I guess that’s true, I was under the impression they were under an obligation to inform applicants

Reactions: 4 users
I just withdrew my app. Good luck to the rest!

Wouldn't want to take this risk in a million years

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I'm kind of thinking the same. It's very risky to go, and they aren't telling us why they are on probation
The thing that worried me is that its not like they get "below average" matriculants like Touro. The median mcat is a 516. So if you're getting placed on probation with such a strong applicant pool, that is completely on you.

Dear Albert, if your reading this, I still love u no matter what. Please take me out on a date 🙏

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Einstein better give special consideration to those of us who submit the secondary post-LCME issues… we want u at ur lowest babe that’s how u know it’s real

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 30 users
@chilly_md @wysdoc @LizzyM Do any of you have thoughts or advice on this situation with Einstein? (their LCME accreditation is on probation)
I just heard about it today.
Under the confidentiality rules of LCME, they will announce only the status that a school has been placed on probation to the general public.

However, the details and reasons for that action are between LCME and the individual school.
The school usually will issue some kind of statement to its current students & faculty, but the amount of detail they will go into is at their discretion. Writing up a public statement takes time as well, so we'll see what we can learn when the school has a statement ready.

Being placed on probation is a more serious action status than being placed on "Accreditation with heightened monitoring" status.
There are three other US MD schools on probation right now: CNU, LSU Shreveport, and Meharry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know any of the specifics for any school on probation.

There can be a bunch of reasons why a school would be on probation. Some can be related to curriculum and instruction such as not having an adequate plan to assess students' self directed learning or not having self directed learning within the curriculum.
It could be related to the supervision of students on the wards or insufficient slots for students in clinical settings for specific specialties or in general.
It could be related to admission policies, governance, faculty appointments, finances, buildings. lab and library resources, adequate efforts at DEI. The list could go on and on.

Albert Einstein's website (under the heading of Consumer Information and Student Outcomes)
has been updated with this brief statement:

"Einstein's Medical Education program is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) of the American Association of Medical Colleges, 655 K Street NW, Suite 100, Washington DC, 20001, (202) 828-0400. The LCME is voluntary, peer-reviewed process that adheres to the accreditation standards outlined in the LCME document, Functions and Structure of a Medical School. As of July 31, 2023, Einstein's status is full accreditation, on probation. We accepted the LCME determination and are using this decision as an opportunity to correct deficiencies they identified to further enhance our medical education program. We have already corrected some elements and are in the process of correcting the others."

Last edited:
Disappointed by their lack of transparency to be honest.

If any of us had an academic institutional violation, these schools would be so quick to autoreject us or demand we be as clear as possible what the violation was and how we learned from it. Why do they think its okay to be unprofessional when the ball is in their court?

Reactions: 26 users
Disappointed by their lack of transparency to be honest.

If any of us had an academic institutional violation, these schools would be so quick to autoreject us or demand we be as clear as possible what the violation was and how we learned from it. Why do they think its okay to be unprofessional when the ball is in their court?
Rules apply to thee but not to me

Albert Einstein's website (under the heading of Consumer Information and Student Outcomes)
has been updated with this brief statement:

"Einstein's Medical Education program is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) of the American Association of Medical Colleges, 655 K Street NW, Suite 100, Washington DC, 20001, (202) 828-0400. The LCME is voluntary, peer-reviewed process that adheres to the accreditation standards outlined in the LCME document, Functions and Structure of a Medical School. As of July 31, 2023, Einstein's status is full accreditation, on probation. We accepted the LCME determination and are using this decision as an opportunity to correct deficiencies they identified to further enhance our medical education program. We have already corrected some elements and are in the process of correcting the others."
Aw, cute! love that they're fostering that growth mindset! Grind now, shine later💘

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Einstein better give special consideration to those of us who submit the secondary post-LCME issues… we want u at ur lowest babe that’s how u know it’s real

Now if they still don’t want you at their worst that’s how u know it’s bad

• Haha
1691089972372.png

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Several friends at Einstein, spoke to a couple days ago about it. Can provide the details I know.

The probationary status is not yet in place. The news is brand new and they wanted to send it to the meds students and applicants early to be transparent.

The citations from LCME were apparently mainly from graduating student reviews. They were dissatisfied with the number of study spaces on campus and student health services that were available. There was also a few administrative issues like a yearly "I understand the school's technical standards" agreement form that needed to be re-signed every year but was only signed at matriculation.

The areas were originally labeled "need of improvement" on the LCME site visit, but were changed to citations on the LCME full review. They're in the process of constructing new study spaces and moving staff to student health services, but the decision is based on when the committee meets and not what the school does after the committee gives feedback.

I'm not familiar with all the details of the situation or LCME's processes, but it seems like the areas of insufficiency were pretty minor but added up. They'll be reviewed in another year and if those areas are corrected, they'll be off probation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Several friends at Einstein, spoke to a couple days ago about it. Can provide the details I know.

The probationary status is not yet in place. The news is brand new and they wanted to send it to the meds students and applicants early to be transparent.

The citations from LCME were apparently mainly from graduating student reviews. They were dissatisfied with the number of study spaces on campus and student health services that were available. There was also a few administrative issues like a yearly "I understand the school's technical standards" agreement form that needed to be re-signed every year but was only signed at matriculation.

The areas were originally labeled "need of improvement" on the LCME site visit, but were changed to citations on the LCME full review. They're in the process of constructing new study spaces and moving staff to student health services, but the decision is based on when the committee meets and not what the school does after the committee gives feedback.

I'm not familiar with all the details of the situation or LCME's processes, but it seems like the areas of insufficiency were pretty minor but added up. They'll be reviewed in another year and if those areas are corrected, they'll be off probation.
Is there a reason this wasn't mentioned in the announcement? A lot of people on reddit are talking about baylor and how they were pretty transparent about why they were on probation. To me, if the reasons are relatively minor and you have the ability to control how the news gets out, wouldn't you want what you just said out there?

Is there a reason this wasn't mentioned in the announcement? A lot of people on reddit are talking about baylor and how they were pretty transparent about why they were on probation. To me, if the reasons are relatively minor and you have the ability to control how the news gets out, wouldn't you want what you just said out there?
Official proclamations are often filtered through many layers of administration and shaken and stirred by legal teams.
You can be certain the school is controlling the narrative, or "how the news gets out".
We can sometimes get closer to the real story from current students, but they are sometimes hesitant to speak up.

We appreciate hearing what you shared, @pierty.

Last year when another school was placed on probation, the students were told "It was just a few little things, nothing to worry about, we'll clear those right up" Guess what? they are still on probation over a year later. The curious can see this discussion #958

As future doctors, you will need to weigh facts before drawing conclusions, and sometimes wait for more information.
When you have choices on which schools to consider, stability and proven performance are good things.

I know that "probation" is a scary term to students and applicants, but it doesn't mean "school is about to get shut down" [ this isn't CNU we're talking about].

Typically, it's about documenting things that they're supposed to document. My own school got dinged by COCA once for inadequate study space, so we fixed that ASAP.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Einstein was found to be deficient in 22 of the ~90 criteria considered by the LCME. Some were fairly minor (for example, missing signatures on affiliation agreements), some were more significant (for example, concerns about the financial stability of Einstein and its corporate parent), and others somewhere in between (for example, >50% of students dissatisfied with preparation for the clinical portion of their education, >50% of students dissatisfied with guidance surrounding residency applications)

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Einstein was found to be deficient in 22 of the ~90 criteria considered by the LCME. Some were fairly minor (for example, missing signatures on affiliation agreements), some were more significant (for example, concerns about the financial stability of Einstein and its corporate parent), and others somewhere in between (for example, >50% of students dissatisfied with preparation for the clinical portion of their education, >50% of students dissatisfied with guidance surrounding residency applications)
Thanks for sharing! Any source?

That's pretty concerning. I think everyone should withdraw their applications in protest. I'll be doing the same. :1whistle:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users
If Einstein is in trouble, then all medical schools are in trouble!

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Faculty senate and town hall meetings for current students
Not to say this isn't true, but I've been in contact with several Einstein students for years and they didn't mention this. It's also coming from a new account.

I would say to wait for news from the source, and importantly if any students have concerns to voice them during interviews or emails to the school directly instead of hearsay from online anonymous users.

If Einstein is in trouble, then all medical schools are in trouble!

I didn't get the sense they were. That being said, when Harvard's MSTP was put under probation several years ago for many reasons (including, from what I understand, failing to provide administrative support and guidance to students, having students take several additional years beyond the average to graduate or drop the PhD, cutting costs by funding students only after the PhD started and collecting 2 years of MD tuition, etc.), people said the same about MSTPs overall. They course corrected, and it was overall an exxageration. I expect the same here.

Reactions: 3 users
This would be very, very shocking data out of an esteemed institution like Einstein, if true.

Would appreciate if perhaps this poster’s identity as a valid source could somehow be verified by moderators.

Otherwise I’m either being too cynical or this post could be an applicant’s attempt to somehow increase their chance of acceptance to Einstein by decreasing other applicants’ interest/willingness to attend or apply.
Nobody is too famous to have problems.

Reactions: 8 users
This would be very, very shocking data out of an esteemed institution like Einstein, if true.

Would appreciate if perhaps this poster’s identity as a valid source could somehow be verified by moderators.

Otherwise I’m either being too cynical or this post could be an applicant’s attempt to somehow increase their chance of acceptance to Einstein by decreasing other applicants’ interest/willingness to attend or apply.

This is not at all as rare as it should be. I also can confirm this from a current student but I’m also not willing to out my identity. With that being said, I do not think this should have really any effect on one’s application to this school but to each their own.

When I was applying 6-7 years ago, one of my acceptances was at SLU. They got hit with probation in March of the cycle. I had several other acceptances, including a higher-rank school closer to home - so the decision was easy. To SLU's credit, they were very transparent about the situation, even going so far as to post the notification letter from the LCME listing the deficiencies, along with their proposed action plan to address the concerns. Sounds like the Genius could take a lesson from the Jesuits. SLU was off probation in about 18 months.

• Wow

Entirely reasonable to be skeptical. Would expect nothing less from aspiring physicians. Happy to interface with admin to verify claims so long as my identity can be protected.

Entirely reasonable to be skeptical. Would expect nothing less from aspiring physicians. Happy to interface with admin to verify claims so long as my identity can be protected.
No need to do that, @Ripgordo
I think we all need to hold a healthy degree of skepticism but we also are all adults and should wait for further information before making our choices

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone using the "Anything Else?" as a COVID-19 essay?

OOS II, Submitted secondary first day. Earliest day was 9/11.