Wright State University Class 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no exit said:
Liverpool, this is from their website: "The school's philosophy is to seek students with diverse social, ethnic, and cultural heritages. This includes not only minority students, but also the older and non-traditional student."

But the average age of Wright State's entering class was 23 according to the Princeton Review while Cincinnati and OSU had an average age of 22.

So there is a year difference on average, but nothing TOO significant.

You are the greatest no exit. Thanks for the info. It is really informative.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when our financial aid status will be mailed to us? Thanx guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
LiverpoolFC said:
Does anyone know when our financial aid status will be mailed to us? Thanx guys.

Don't know. May be it's a good idea to call financial aid people.

Hey everyone, I was wondering do yall know if they have a chapter of AOA at the school?...and if so, is there a possibility to get junior AOA there too?....any info would help!..thanks!

BeanieA said:
Hey everyone, I was wondering do yall know if they have a chapter of AOA at the school?...and if so, is there a possibility to get junior AOA there too?....any info would help!..thanks!

What's up Beanie.. there is definitely a chapter of AOA at WSU. Junior AOA is not a separate entity from the AOA, rather students are assigned the "junior" title if they are chosen for AOA early in third (junior) year. Junior AOA membership can make up no more than 4% of the anticipated graduating class (which means 3 kids per class at WSU). The rest of the students chosen for AOA membership can make up 12.5% of the graduating class.

In my opinion, junior AOA is such a difficult goal to achieve it's not even worth thinking about. It's much better to focus on doing your best and having a balanced life. Getting the regular AOA membership will be quite an accomplishment in itself. But that's my $0.02.. Good Luck!

for those of you who don't already live close to WSU, when are you thinking about moving to the school? i think orientation starts the week of August 8th.

I just got accepted today to Wright State. I am an out-of-stater (Pennsylvania), who interviewed on January 25th. I loved the school. I look forward to meeting you all come August.

mwcourtney said:
I just got accepted today to Wright State. I am an out-of-stater (Pennsylvania), who interviewed on January 25th. I loved the school. I look forward to meeting you all come August.

Welcome aboard. It is a pleasure to have you as part of Wright State crew.

mwcourtney said:

congrats! see you in the fall..

Where is everyone? I hope all the future Wright state students are in great health. Did anyone get an email from Dr Paul Carlson about an update of news and events at wright state? :) :) :) :)

LiverpoolFC said:
Where is everyone? I hope all the future Wright state students are in great health. Did anyone get an email from Dr Paul Carlson about an update of news and events at wright state? :) :) :) :)

Got an e-mail (enews letter) couple of days ago. BTW when will we get our financial aid packages?

ravi said:
Got an e-mail (enews letter) couple of days ago. BTW when will we get our financial aid packages?
I was told by Mrs Carol that sometime in April we should get our financial aid package. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
LiverpoolFC said:
I was told by Mrs Carol that sometime in April we should get our financial aid package. Hope that helps.

Thanks LiverpoolFC

How is everyone doing? The time is dwindling down before hardwork commences.

bump..

(i couldn't bring myself to let one month go by without any posts in this thread.....)

Congrats on all the acceptances, guys!! I posted this in the UC thread too...but if you'd humor me :) Based on what you know of WS and your own experience what kind of a chance do you think a 30R (8PS,10VR,12BS), 3.45sci/3.56cum (3 C's and a D frosh yr; 3.85-3.9 soph/jr yr) and above avg EC's, fine letters, etc would have at interview/accep at WS?

I was told by someone in the fin aid department that the award package wouldn't arrive in april as originally expected. It was shifted to June. This is due to the increase in tuition by 12%. I hope all is well to all the matriculants. :) :)

crys20 said:
Congrats on all the acceptances, guys!! I posted this in the UC thread too...but if you'd humor me :) Based on what you know of WS and your own experience what kind of a chance do you think a 30R (8PS,10VR,12BS), 3.45sci/3.56cum (3 C's and a D frosh yr; 3.85-3.9 soph/jr yr) and above avg EC's, fine letters, etc would have at interview/accep at WS?
if you're an ohio resident and can convince them you really want to go to WSU (and/or enter a primary care field), then i'd say your chances are very good. WSU is one of the last ohio med schools that still takes >90% of their students from in-state. if you have community service experience in your EC's, that's a plus, too.

good luck!

sd (wsu c/o 2004 ;) )

sweeeeeeeet :) i am all about primary care. yes, OH res and all i have is community service! :)

Hey ppl.....hope everyone is doing well....I just recently Are any of you guys deciding between either to rent or buy a condo/house in the area?....If so, which condo's are ppl looking at in Beavercreek?....Also, has anyone checked out the housing page on the website, a couple folks looking for roomies on there....anyone thinking of living with someone they don't know?...I'm not sure if I want to do all that...anyway just curious...thanks!

WOW financial aid packages in June?????? That sucks :eek: . I talked to people in financial aid section and they told, they were going to send them in next couple of weeks.

BTW anybody know what the exact tuition is going to be? 12% increase should put it in the range of $ 22500/ year. Anybody have the exact number? Just Curious...

Housing.... I think, I may have to look for a room mate (I hate living alone.. :oops: ). I haven't started looking at appartments. I will start that in june probably. Do you guys think it is too late for an appartment searching?

I am stuck with my last quarter and I am having hard time getting through this Quarter (no motivation :( ). I just don't feel like doing anything *sigh*..

Hey Guys!!! Did any body get their financial aid information yesterday? I got mine... :) , but I can't open the web page until noon today...... :thumbdown: (information is available on the web and on sunday it is accessible from 12:00 to 4:00) . Can't wait to see it.......

ravi said:
Hey Guys!!! Did any body get their financial aid information yesterday? I got mine... :) , but I can't open the web page until noon today...... :thumbdown: (information is available on the web and on sunday it is accessible from 12:00 to 4:00) . Can't wait to see it.......

Wow! How was this done? Is the fin aid info found in the status page? Where you satisfied with the money offered? Thanks ravi.

LiverpoolFC said:
Wow! How was this done? Is the fin aid info found in the status page? Where you satisfied with the money offered? Thanks ravi.

please check your PM.

Did you guys hear this..... tuition for 2005-2006 ist year students is $ 25,899 :eek: :eek: . * I am freaking out*. I called the financial aid office and this is the number they gave... but some how I can't belive that they can increase tuition by 38 %. I hope they made some mistake *please! let it be a mistake*. Can somebody confirm these numbers.

ravi said:
Did you guys hear this..... tuition for 2005-2006 ist year students is $ 25,899 :eek: :eek: . * I am freaking out*. I called the financial aid office and this is the number they gave... but some how I can't belive that they can increase tuition by 38 %. I hope they made some mistake *please! let it be a mistake*. Can somebody confirm these numbers.

Sorry to hear that Ravi - but I thought last year's tuition was $22,000 or at least thats what I thought I was told when I went there for an interview - which would be about a 4K increase - still high but not dramatically so.

TripleDegree said:
Sorry to hear that Ravi - but I thought last year's tuition was $22,000 or at least thats what I thought I was told when I went there for an interview - which would be about a 4K increase - still high but not dramatically so.

Hi TD, how are you doing? On the website, last year's tuition (18,400) + other fees(1059) = 19,500(app). I was ecpecting 12% increase, which would push it to 22,500 (app). I thought 26, 000 is too steep.

BTW did you start shopping for OSU stuff? :)

Yeah a bunch of us went out to Columbus, and bought some cool OSU medicine sweatshirts. BTW, I have a WSU School of Medicine cap too :laugh:

Were you able to get any $$$ from WSU? I think someone on SDN was able to get some scholarship money.

TripleDegree said:
Yeah a bunch of us went out to Columbus, and bought some cool OSU medicine sweatshirts. BTW, I have a WSU School of Medicine cap too :laugh:

Were you able to get any $$$ from WSU? I think someone on SDN was able to get some scholarship money.

Yep! I got some, but it was nothing compared to tuition raise. Copule of days ago I was soooooooo happy, now I am rethinking my decision. I thought WSU is the school for me and I stoped pursuing other options, probably I should start writing LOI to some of the schools.... :(

Hurrayyyyyyyyyyyy!

Tuition is not 26,000......... It is 21,000. Yesterday's number includes all the expenses like health insurance, books etc. I called office again today and they gave me this gooooood news. Sorry! if I scared anybody :oops: .

Hey all you future WS students! I was accepted in Feb. but just got accepted to NYMC this week. I have to make a decision by Monday. Before I read these threads I was thinking NYMC, its about 30 min. north of NYC.

But...now I'm kinda leaning towards WS. I am ohio born and raised and I think the people in the mid-west are great. What were the major factors you considred when you decided on med schools and how did you rank them? Cost isn't a big deal b/c all I got from WS was loans : ( but at least NYMC gave me a scholarship which puts it at about the same price as WS.

dobs737 said:
Hey all you future WS students! I was accepted in Feb. but just got accepted to NYMC this week. I have to make a decision by Monday. Before I read these threads I was thinking NYMC, its about 30 min. north of NYC.

But...now I'm kinda leaning towards WS. I am ohio born and raised and I think the people in the mid-west are great. What were the major factors you considred when you decided on med schools and how did you rank them? Cost isn't a big deal b/c all I got from WS was loans : ( but at least NYMC gave me a scholarship which puts it at about the same price as WS.

Hi dobs,

Congratulations! Welcome to WSU 2009 thread. For me location was the most important thing.

Ravi - do you go to OSU? I do. I just wondered if that was why you liked Wright's location so much!

dobs737 said:
Ravi - do you go to OSU? I do. I just wondered if that was why you liked Wright's location so much!

Hey dobs,

I don't go to OSU (already graduated loooooooong time ago and currently taking prereqs at CSCC). I wanted to stay close to my family(we live in columbus).

how is everyone doing? are you all relaxing before school starts or rushing to get things in order? i have gotten used my chill summer lifestyle and i'm starting to worry that i will have no motivation when school starts.... i just hope i'm not the only one!

no exit said:
how is everyone doing? are you all relaxing before school starts or rushing to get things in order? i have gotten used my chill summer lifestyle and i'm starting to worry that i will have no motivation when school starts.... i just hope i'm not the only one!

Yah I have def. been chillin since March, so this will be interesting trying to go back to a full day of classes..I just want to rush and get in as many vacations as possible before I have no life! :D ...when is everyone moving to dyt?I will be there in the next couple weeks and need some summer entertainment!

I am beginning to feel the excitement or maybe "discomfort" of the unknown as we race towards orientation and then class commencement.

i hope everyone is enjoying the summer.. here's a random fact, the school just changed their name to the "boonshoft school of medicine" after boonshoft donated a truckload of money..

no exit said:
i hope everyone is enjoying the summer.. here's a random fact, the school just changed their name to the "boonshoft school of medicine" after boonshoft donated a truckload of money..
yeah, i was going to bring that up in case nobody here knew about it. pretty funny--as soon as i get ready to leave WSU, they immediately draw up plans to improve everything. bastards! :laugh:

fyi: boonshoft was also the guy who donated a few million several years ago to start/fund wright state's MD/MBA program. so if any of you guys are doing that, he's the dude to thank.

enjoy med school at WSU. don't forget to pay attention in Dr. Putnam's lectures! he's my old boss/research mentor, and he's one hell of a good physiology professor. ;)

come on everyone! school is starting in a little over a week. time to bring some life to this thread....

true that, need some love. I was hoping to organize some sort of happy hour the weekend of the white coat ceremony, perhaps on Fri the 29th. But now it looks like I may be moving in that weekend and will be surrounded by boxes - I'm not happy about this!