Wright State University Class 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiverpoolFC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since no thread have been established for students who have chosen wright State. I decided to create one that focuses on students who have decided that they will be attending Wright State come August.

Members don't see this ad.

LiverpoolFC said:
Since no thread have been established for students who have chosen wright State. I decided to create one that focuses on students who have decided that they will be attending Wright State come August.

Though I probably won't be going there, I thought WSU was really good, and much better than the rankings seemed to indicate. The campus is modern and in a safe part of town, the medical school building looks good, and the program itself seemed fantastic (a lot of computerization, patient interaction etc.)

All the best - you'll be happy there.!

TripleDegree said:
Though I probably won't be going there, I thought WSU was really good, and much better than the rankings seemed to indicate. The campus is modern and in a safe part of town, the medical school building looks good, and the program itself seemed fantastic (a lot of computerization, patient interaction etc.)

All the best - you'll be happy there.!

I completely agree with tripledegree

Members don't see this ad :)
Well,I will be there in the fall!...excited about med school, not excited about being back in dayton...but hopefully we got some cool peoples in the class(unlike the MS1's at OSU :D )

hey guys,

count me in. May be we should start knowing each other so that we don't feel out of place on first day.

Can't wait for this quarter to be over with.

ravi said:
hey guys,

count me in. May be we should start knowing each other so that we don't feel out of place on first day.

I will start with my introduction. I am Neelima(Neil for short). I live in columbus and I have a five year old son. :)

Can't wait for this quarter to be over with.

Hi - I thought you were headed to UCincy?

BeanieA said:
Well,I will be there in the fall!...excited about med school, not excited about being back in dayton...but hopefully we got some cool peoples in the class(unlike the MS1's at OSU :D )

Grrrrrowwwll :)

We got a little OSU vs WSU thing going here, do we?? :)

TripleDegree said:
Hi - I thought you were headed to UCincy?

Yes, I interviewed there yesterday. But due to my family situation, I have to stay in Columbus. With WSU, I can still stay in Columbus and drive to Dayton( hopefully not every day :D )

Hey, I just realized this is my 100th post. I happy to post my 100th post on WSU thread. :) :love:

TripleDegree said:
Grrrrrowwwll :)

We got a little OSU vs WSU thing going here, do we?? :)

Ohhh you bet we do! :D .....all I hang out with up here at OSU are the med students, and believe me each year their students keep getting more boring...but of course I am not talkin bout you!..lol

How many of you out there are in my boat for wsu. I know a few of my friends also got waitlisted at wsu. We are all praying that the multiple acceptance holders decide asap. I have one other acceptance but wsu is my number one choice mainly b/c of the great location-Dayton. This would mean that I wouldn't have to commute more than 30 minutes.

lovely1 said:
How many of you out there are in my boat for wsu. I know a few of my friends also got waitlisted at wsu. We are all praying that the multiple acceptance holders decide asap. I have one other acceptance but wsu is my number one choice mainly b/c of the great location-Dayton. This would mean that I wouldn't have to commute more than 30 minutes.

Sorry to hear that lovely1, that sucks. Hopefully you will hear some good news soon. :luck: :luck:

ravi said:
Sorry to hear that lovely1, that sucks. Hopefully you will hear some good news soon. :luck: :luck:

I too have a family that I can't really move around too much so that is why this sucks even more. Family or med school a hard decision. I guess we waitlisters will get some info in april and then the calls will start being made in may all the way through august:( Craziness!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
lovely1 said:
I too have a family that I can't really move around too much so that is why this sucks even more. Family or med school a hard decision. I guess we waitlisters will get some info in april and then the calls will start being made in may all the way through august:( Craziness!!!

My friend was waitlisted as well, and my suggestion is to make a meeting with the dean, Dr.Carlson, and talk him about your application and find out exactly where you are on the waitlist.Also, write update letters stating that WSU is your first choice and you would definately go there if accepted.I feel like their big thing there, is they want to see if you really want to go their school....

BeanieA said:
My friend was waitlisted as well, and my suggestion is to make a meeting with the dean, Dr.Carlson, and talk him about your application and find out exactly where you are on the waitlist.Also, write update letters stating that WSU is your first choice and you would definately go there if accepted.I feel like their big thing there, is they want to see if you really want to go their school....

Dr. Peterson is also a good person to talk to. And he is sooooo nice.

ravi said:
Dr. Peterson is also a good person to talk to. And he is sooooo nice.

Actually all of them seemed real nice and approachable - very laid back. Teresa is also a wonderful person.

I agree with lovely1 about location - its just minutes from N.Fairfield Rd, which is a pretty lively place. A lot of med students hang out at the Barnes and Nobles there all the time - I know because I see them often with huge text books!

All the best to those waitlisted. Hopefully others will relinquish their seats too, and get you some good news soon!

Thanks guys for all of your help! Unfortunately they don't start ranking their waitlist until march when the interview process is over so I don't think that they will tell me where I am on the waitlist until that time. As far as the update letter, how do I do that? I mean, do I send it to the admissions office or the dean or...? As far as what to put on it, I am unsure, should I put any new employment/classes. Should I attach a transcript? Well I am grateful that everyone in this forum is so helpful. Thanks again:)

lovely1 said:
Thanks guys for all of your help! Unfortunately they don't start ranking their waitlist until march when the interview process is over so I don't think that they will tell me where I am on the waitlist until that time. As far as the update letter, how do I do that? I mean, do I send it to the admissions office or the dean or...? As far as what to put on it, I am unsure, should I put any new employment/classes. Should I attach a transcript? Well I am grateful that everyone in this forum is so helpful. Thanks again:)

I addressed my update letters to "admission committee members" and put in every thing that could help your application. If you think you got good grades last quarter, it is a good idea to send in a transcript (it doesn't have to be an official one at this point). Remember, many people are going to drop out(did I use a wrong word? :oops: ) from the school on may 15th. The waitlist movement is going to be pretty good, so keep your chin up. And congratulations on your other acceptence. :thumbup: :) . May be all of us won't go to the colleges we want to go, but atleast we have an oppurtunity to go to some school (honestly my first option is OSU because of the location, they didn't even give me an interview :( :mad: ).

Hey guys, I posted this on allo forum but I didn't get any reply. Since you guys are also planning to attend WSU, I thought you guys might know something about these questions.

Those who are attending Wright state or who knows something about it's schedule, could you please tell me what the daily schedule is like. Like, at what time does the classes start? How many days per week do you attend the classes? I know it is mandatory to attend the labs, but can you skip other classes, if you think you can make it on your own? I am asking all these questions because I have to take some major decisions ( like selling the house ). I live in columbus and it takes me around 1 hr 30 min to drive. If it is only two or three days a week, I am planning to drive. If not, then We have to sell the house and move closer. And by the way I am asking about first two years schedule.

Thanks in advance.

Someone please respond to ravi. As for me, I am from out of state. As far as housing in concerned, how much is for a 1 bedroom apartment nearby the the school premises. Thanks Everyone.

Ravi and Liverpool,

I have the e-mail of one of the WSU students who did our tour and lunch with us. Since you're not getting any answers, maybe an e-mail to him would answer your questions. PM me if you would like his address.

Amy

LiverpoolFC said:
Someone please respond to ravi. As for me, I am from out of state. As far as housing in concerned, how much is for a 1 bedroom apartment nearby the the school premises. Thanks Everyone.

Since I went to undergrad there, and lived an apt nearby.I can give a breakdown of apt names/prices for a 1 bedroom if you want to PM me...

Thanks for your help guys.

i'm glad that a few WSU students are on SDN.. good luck to all of you who are in the admissions process and congrats to everyone who has been accepted! i am going to be attending wsu this fall so it will be nice to get to know a few of you before classes start..

LiverpoolFC said:
how much is for a 1 bedroom apartment nearby the the school premises.

as far as housing goes, i got a copy of the apartment guide for the dayton area and one bedroom apartments close to the school seem to range from $350 - $500.. i think their website is www.apartmentguide.com.. another useful resource may be www.rent.net.. good luck....

no exit said:
as far as housing goes, i got a copy of the apartment guide for the dayton area and one bedroom apartments close to the school seem to range from $350 - $500.. i think their website is www.apartmentguide.com.. another useful resource may be www.rent.net.. good luck....

$350 to $500!! That's sweet. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I used SDN as a resource last year before I started at WSU, so I thought I would offer my help if anyone has any questions (apartments, classes, hours etc). Feel free to email me anytime.

Be glad you chose Wright State.

Dan
[email protected]

ravi said:
$350 to $500!! That's sweet. :thumbup:

Ravi - I live 2 miles from the WSU campus, so I know this area pretty well too. There is tons of housing right around campus, and a little nicer housing (especially if u have a family) a few miles south in Beavercreek. Let me know if u have specific questions

TripleDegree said:
Ravi - I live 2 miles from the WSU campus, so I know this area pretty well too. There is tons of housing right around campus, and a little nicer housing (especially if u have a family) a few miles south in Beavercreek. Let me know if u have specific questions

Thanks TippleDegree. Right now we don't have any plans to move to Dayton. I am planning to do first two years in dayton and the last two in Columbus(Mt. Carmel). During the first 3 months I will stay in Dayton, because of the anatomy class and after that I will commute. Once again thanks for your help.

ravi said:
Thanks TippleDegree. Right now we don't have any plans to move to Dayton. I am planning to do first two years in dayton and the last two in Columbus(Mt. Carmel). During the first 3 months I will stay in Dayton, because of the anatomy class and after that I will commute. Once again thanks for your help.

Ravi - no problem. I didn't quite understand - are you transferring to Mt. carmel? Has that already been approved?

thanks

TripleDegree said:
Ravi - no problem. I didn't quite understand - are you transferring to Mt. carmel? Has that already been approved?

thanks

I am not transfering, Mt. carmel is affiliated to WSU (to my knowledge). So after finishing first two years, we can do our rotations at Mt. Carmel ( I think River side is also included, but I am not sure). Ofcourse we have to do some rotations at WSU (3 months), apart from that we can do every thing at Mt. Carmel. I got this information from a faculty member.

Hello, everyone,

I think that I'll be at WSU in the fall. I've been accepted there and at my alma mater, MSUCHM. I love MI state, but my husband will probably be stationed at Wright Patterson AFB starting this summer. If he is, I'll go to WSU so we can be together. Lovely1, I think I interviewed with you. I hope that you hear from them soon!

:)
Amy

amylynn007 said:
Hello, everyone,

I think that I'll be at WSU in the fall. I've been accepted there and at my alma mater, MSUCHM. I love MI state, but my husband will probably be stationed at Wright Patterson AFB starting this summer. If he is, I'll go to WSU so we can be together. Lovely1, I think I interviewed with you. I hope that you hear from them soon!

:)
Amy

Hi Amy,

Hopefully we all be classmates. Wow I can imagine SDNers sitting and chatting about our pre medical school lifes :D . Can't wait for that day. By the way a big Welcome to this thread.

Hey all -

I'm not part of the Wright State Class yet . . . but I'm hoping I will have it as an option. Has anyone heard from them lately? I interviewed on 12/15 and have yet to hear back from them. I knew they would have a slow turnaround due to the break, but I honestly expected to hear back from them before now.

Ravi - can you PM me with more details about the Mt. Carmel/Riverside Rotations? That info could shed a whole different light on WSU for me.

Congrats to the class so far!!

Amy

Class of 2009 checking in! :love:

quick question...i sent my confirm acceptance letter in 2 weeks ago
and haven't heard back yet. i know they mentioned a website....

how long after receipt of the letter should I hear from them???

thanks!

AmyBEMT said:
Hey all -

I'm not part of the Wright State Class yet . . . but I'm hoping I will have it as an option. Has anyone heard from them lately? I interviewed on 12/15 and have yet to hear back from them. I knew they would have a slow turnaround due to the break, but I honestly expected to hear back from them before now.

Ravi - can you PM me with more details about the Mt. Carmel/Riverside Rotations? That info could shed a whole different light on WSU for me.

Congrats to the class so far!!

Amy

Hi Amy,

Instead of PM, i thought it would be a good idea to post it on the forum, so that every one can get to see it (I hope you don't mind :) ). After second year, we can do our rotations at Mt. Carmel if we want to do. But we have to do 13 weeks worth of rotations in Dayton (like Medicine and some others..). Some body mentioned Riverside too, but I am not sure. BTW we can also do our fourth year at Mt. Carmel. Since i live in Columbus, it is a very good oppurtunity for me.

My turn around time was 4 weeks. I interviewed on NOV 9th and I got accepted on DEC 10th. Your decision must be delayed because of break. I am sure you will hear good news :luck: :luck: very soon.

LoveDoc said:
Class of 2009 checking in! :love:

quick question...i sent my confirm acceptance letter in 2 weeks ago
and haven't heard back yet. i know they mentioned a website....

how long after receipt of the letter should I hear from them???

thanks!

What website? Did I miss something? :confused:

ravi said:
What website? Did I miss something? :confused:

WSU sends you both an email and a letter in the mail announcing a web site for their acceptees.... web site contains a bunch of stuff about the school, financial aid stuff and so on.

You should be getting that email soon, if not, you may want to call them up.

I never heard a da#$ed thing from them since I submitted my 2ndary. Is it b/c I am out of state? (I have no rejections so far, 2 acceptances, 3 waitlists, 1 interview coming up, 1 more reviewing, and 1 that I have heard NOTHING from, plus Wright)

Ravi -

Thanks for the info on being able to do a lot of the clinical rotations in Columbus. While I don't live in Columbus, being able to do rotations there might allow me to live at home with my husband as opposed to living in Dayton. I will need to start compiling some info on different schools. I know that most of the Ohio schools allow you to do away rotations. I guess I need to find out how many aways you are allowed to do and what kind of limitations the different schools place on them.

TripleDegree said:
WSU sends you both an email and a letter in the mail announcing a web site for their acceptees.... web site contains a bunch of stuff about the school, financial aid stuff and so on.

You should be getting that email soon, if not, you may want to call them up.

Thanks TrippleDegree. I called admissions today and they told, they are getting ready to send in another round of E-mails for those who are accepted and we should hear by end of the week.

gbiz said:
I never heard a da#$ed thing from them since I submitted my 2ndary. Is it b/c I am out of state? (I have no rejections so far, 2 acceptances, 3 waitlists, 1 interview coming up, 1 more reviewing, and 1 that I have heard NOTHING from, plus Wright)

Hey gbiz, congratulations on your acceptences. If you are interested, may be you want to give them a call. :luck:

I really dont want to go to my 2 acceptances. WSU (WAYNE state) is one of them, and I dont want to stay here. Everytime I tried calling Wright, the person was pretty rude and kept saying that she cant tell me any more then what the website says (still being reviewed).

gbiz said:
I really dont want to go to my 2 acceptances. WSU (WAYNE state) is one of them, and I dont want to stay here. Everytime I tried calling Wright, the person was pretty rude and kept saying that she cant tell me any more then what the website says (still being reviewed).

Tell her to transfer to Dr. Peterson. He is a very nice person and probably he might have some answers for you. :luck:

what's up all.... i'm just bumping this so the wright state thread can get a little more love.....

no exit said:
what's up all.... i'm just bumping this so the wright state thread can get a little more love.....
Not much guys. Thanks for reviving the thread. Just a quick question, does anyone know the numbers of non-traditional students usually accepted at wright?

LiverpoolFC said:
Not much guys. Thanks for reviving the thread. Just a quick question, does anyone know the numbers of non-traditional students usually accepted at wright?

Don't know the exact number, but I heard that there are decent number of non trads in each class.

LiverpoolFC said:

i'm one :D

LiverpoolFC said:

Liverpool, this is from their website: "The school's philosophy is to seek students with diverse social, ethnic, and cultural heritages. This includes not only minority students, but also the older and non-traditional student."

But the average age of Wright State's entering class was 23 according to the Princeton Review while Cincinnati and OSU had an average age of 22.

So there is a year difference on average, but nothing TOO significant.