Would you risk your license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProRealDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Reactions: 1 user
I know multiple physicians that have opened med-spas or similar cosmetic/Botox practices. All of them have either completely backed out of their regular medical practice or are currently weaning back to focus on the lucrative med-spa business.

Now, maybe this is because those I know realize you actually need to be present and supervisory and not just because it’s easier money I’m not sure.

In this case, I have zero idea why giving potassium (“electrolytes”) outside of a L of a balanced salt solution, or TPN was done or what benefit they thought they were providing.

Also, just hire an RN for crying out loud.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know multiple physicians that have opened med-spas or similar cosmetic/Botox practices. All of them have either completely backed out of their regular medical practice or are currently weaning back to focus on the lucrative med-spa business.

Now, maybe this is because those I know realize you actually need to be present and supervisory and not just because it’s easier money I’m not sure.

In this case, I have zero idea why giving potassium (“electrolytes”) outside of a L of a balanced salt solution, or TPN was done or what benefit they thought they were providing.

Also, just hire an RN for crying out loud.

I mean in the scheme of things running an IV hydration clinic is pretty low risk stuff. The biggest mistake this MD made was renting out his license to someone with zero healthcare background with zero supervision or oversight whatsoever. He basically saw this as a passive income stream. That's what made it particularly egregious. If he had an RN or NP run the place on the day to day, and occasionally reviewed things with him, the risk and perhaps the consequences would be much less severe.

I mean in the scheme of things running an IV hydration clinic is pretty low risk stuff. The biggest mistake this MD made was renting out his license to someone with zero healthcare background with zero supervision or oversight whatsoever. He basically saw this as a passive income stream. That's what made it particularly egregious. If he had an RN or NP run the place on the day to day, and occasionally reviewed things with him, the risk and perhaps the consequences would be much less severe.
Maybe if he had an NP, but even with an RN doing everything appropriate I still imagine the liability is huge. This lady doesn't appear to have died from her IVF, but there's no way to prove it didn't contribute and there never would be.

Maybe its just me, but why is TPN being administered in a med spa?

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe its just me, but why is TPN being administered in a med spa?

For the same reason people get coffee enemas in these establishments. I.e., the health benefits.

• Haha
I wonder if hydration clinics tend to attract people after a night of booze/drugs. That’s what my moneys on

Well from the sound of it he made multiple basic errors.

Unlicensed personnel (most use RNs)
No protocols for emergencies
No personal supervision

Doesn't take much to run those types of places, but if you just sign documents and expect a check...

• Wow