Would you choose anesthesiology again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you choose anesthesiology again?

• Yes, I love anesthesiology.

Votes: 78 60.0%
  • No, I’d choose a different specialty.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I would not go into medicine

Votes: 37 28.5%

• Total voters
How is it more money if their average is less than ours?
Well that's online surveys which very few doctors participate in. And as a psych you can literally do call at night from home at multiple different facilities and hardly ever go in. With each hospital paying you 4 figures. And you can add on liaison work to keep inpatient skills.
Psych can be very lucrative and people can make lots of money. They just don't advertise it. And many people want to just be employees.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He/She is doing a crappy job without seeing pts. before or after the procedure.
I respectfully disagree. They have likely seen the patient in clinic before the procedure. And they likely have a follow up appointment in clinic after the procedure. The procedure day is for procedures.

I respectfully disagree. They have likely seen the patient in clinic before the procedure. And they likely have a follow up appointment in clinic after the procedure. The procedure day is for procedures.

No they don’t. I don’t know anyone who’s had separate pre procedure and post procedure visits with their gastroenterologist. I have no comment on whether or not it’s bad medicine. But separate preop and postop visits are not a thing with most GIs. It’s scope, then results and recommendations to the primary. Our GI’s literally introduce themselves to the patient when they’re positioned on their side. “Hi, I’m Dr. GI.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No they don’t. I don’t know anyone who’s had separate pre procedure and post procedure visits with their gastroenterologist. I have no comment on whether or not it’s bad medicine. But separate preop and postop visits are not a thing with most GIs. It’s scope, then results and recommendations to the primary. Our GI’s literally introduce themselves to the patient when they’re positioned on their side. “Hi, I’m Dr. GI.”
That’s exactly how it was when I personally had a GI scope. I met the guy for the first time while in the procedure room and never had a follow up visit.

That’s exactly how it was when I personally had a GI scope. I met the guy for the first time while in the procedure room and never had a follow up visit.
the insurances do not wanna pay for the pre and post consultations. BUt honestly would you just meet your surgeon on the day of the surgery?

the insurances do not wanna pay for the pre and post consultations. BUt honestly would you just meet your surgeon on the day of the surgery?

Hell no

But let's have these useless paperpusher middle men make billions off of our backs while they bankrupt millions of households

Hell no

But let's have these useless paperpusher middle men make billions off of our backs while they bankrupt millions of households
Affordable care act allowed for all this nonsense

Ah got it. Looks like our practices are set up differently then. In your set up then if the gastroenterologist does not discuss the findings and results with the patient I assume (am not certain) that this opens them up for vulnerabilities in malpractice. Forwarding results to the PCP is insufficient.

Ah got it. Looks like our practices are set up differently then. In your set up then if the gastroenterologist does not discuss the findings and results with the patient I assume (am not certain) that this opens them up for vulnerabilities in malpractice. Forwarding results to the PCP is insufficient.

Sometimes there is a postop discussion. The patients are sitting in their wheelchairs in the hallway waiting for their ride. The GI says to them, “we found gastritis, you’ll need to start a PPI.” or “we found a polyp and removed it.” I’m pretty sure they don’t see the GI again until their next procedure. The primary will start the PPI.

Sometimes there is a postop discussion. The patients are sitting in their wheelchairs in the hallway waiting for their ride. The GI says to them, “we found gastritis, you’ll need to start a PPI.” or “we found a polyp and removed it.” I’m pretty sure they don’t see the GI again until their next procedure. The primary will start the PPI.
This is somewhat how it goes with us as well. One post op discussion involved the patient opening his eyes in PACU and GI handing him his colonoscopy results and telling him to see him in 5 years.

My record is 31 procedures, starting at 0730 and finishing at 1730. A few doubles in there, I think it was 26 unique patients. We do a flip room. Proceduralist is very good and efficient, chats with patient/family from 2 procedures prior as they are awake and then consents whoever is there while I consent in the room and off we go. It’s always a great day, but he is the only one in his group who is nearly that efficient. Spends more time with the more involved procedures for sure.