Will Unofficial Letterhead Work? what med schools care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dankestmemes

Reaction score
One of my professors submitted my letter to interfolio and they showed that the letter was signed but was only on unofficial letterhead?

Will med schools care about this? all my other letters are fine.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably post this question in the Pre-Med forum.

I don't think it is a big deal- schools will just contact your letter writer if they decide to be as neurotic as you are being.

Good luck with your app cycle.

One of my professors submitted my letter to interfolio and they showed that the letter was signed but was only on unofficial letterhead?

Will med schools care about this? all my other letters are fine.
Out of 60 schools I applied to, 2 of them were like this. Didn’t even get so much as an interview after harassing my letter writers...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of 60 schools I applied to, 2 of them were like this. Didn’t even get so much as an interview after harassing my letter writers...
Do you mean that those 2 schools rejected your letters? Or do you mean that there was only 2 schools that were okay with your lack of letterhead?

Do you mean that those 2 schools rejected your letters? Or do you mean that there was only 2 schools that were okay with your lack of letterhead?

Pretty sure they mean that 2 objected/rejected the letters because this happened to me for a very small subset of schools as well. Einstein was definitely one of them, and they were not super accommodating when I wasn't able to reach one of my letter writers--I basically had to use another letter writer to satisfy their requirements of who you submit letters from, and it was only by luck that I was able to--and then I didn't get an interview anyway. Otherwise, I think it's likely that in practice, at most schools, if one letter is on the wrong letterhead it's not a huge deal. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it causes it to just be ignored at certain schools and they don't even bother to tell you or contact the writer and just move on evaluating the app without it.

It also certainly can't help your application in any way, so I would suggest you try to have your writer re-upload on correct letterhead.

I meant that only two schools made a fuss about the unofficial letterhead. And when I finally harassed my writers to change it...I never heard from those schools again. Not even for a rejection :rolleyes:

Moral of the story, leave your letters. If schools have a problem with it, they’re not worth your time :meh:

Pretty sure they mean that 2 objected/rejected the letters because this happened to me for a very small subset of schools as well. Einstein was definitely one of them, and they were not super accommodating when I wasn't able to reach one of my letter writers--I basically had to use another letter writer to satisfy their requirements of who you submit letters from, and it was only by luck that I was able to--and then I didn't get an interview anyway. Otherwise, I think it's likely that in practice, at most schools, if one letter is on the wrong letterhead it's not a huge deal. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it causes it to just be ignored at certain schools and they don't even bother to tell you or contact the writer and just move on evaluating the app without it.

It also certainly can't help your application in any way, so I would suggest you try to have your writer re-upload on correct letterhead.
I agree with this advice. If you can get it done from now, then definitely go ahead. But if you can’t get in contact with your writers, don’t sweat it too much. If a school really wants you, they aren’t going to care about those minor details. If they do, they’re probably trying to swindle you