This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschaefer97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just bombed a test in O Chem II, and I was just wondering how everything shaped up so far grade- and EC-wise. This has likely been covered in a different thread, if so, just LMK and I will check it out. Just a bit worried about how this bad chem grade will affect my chances of getting into a decent school (Think U of A Tucson or Phoenix... this is my honest pick of where I think I'll end up)

For background, I go to a state university (ASU....*), and plan on applying to medical schools throughout the country (a few good schools, a lot more average schools, and obviously one or two fall-back schools). I am going into my Junior year now (Fall 2017), and expect to graduate in Spring 2019 with a degree in Biology with a concentration in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. I am considering MD/PhD programs as well. I am in the honors college at my Uni, if that is anything to consider.

*I know ASU is certainly the butt of many jokes in terms of being a degree-mill or whatever. I don't disagree that it comes off (or is) what people think of it, and I'm mostly curious to see if med schools consider this as a big factor when looking at my app. Realistically, I'm sure if my GPA is great and MCAT is as well, they won't have an issue since that pretty much shows that the courses were rigorous enough to prep me.

Current Grades/Expected for this semester:

(SCIENCES)
Gen Chem I: A
Gen Chem II: A
Gen Bio I: A
Gen Bio II: A
Precalc: B+
Calculus: A
Biostatistics: A
Organic Chem I: B
Organic Chem I Lab: A
Organic Chem II: C
Organic Chem II Lab: A
General Genetics: B
SOLUR Seminar: Pass/Fail (Pass)
Psychology I: A
Organic Evolution: B
Animal Behavior: A
Analytical Chemistry: A
Physical Chemistry: A
Biochemistry I: A
Physiology: A
Cell Bio: A

(NON-SCIENCES)
Human Event I: A
Human Event II: A
MED 100: A+
ASU 101: A+ (lol)
ENG 102: A+
Medical Anthropology: A-
Research Methods: A

Current *estimated* cumulative GPA: ~3.80

EC's:
- I have been doing research in a lab at Barrow Neurological Institute since late in my freshman year.
- SOLUR Researcher (Basically a selective program to provide funding for Undergrads in life science research)
- ASU Academic Bowl team member for my college
- Chemistry Lab instructor at ASU (since beginning Soph. year)
- Undergrad Student Gov. Senator for my College (Freshman year)
- Member of University Pre-Medical club
- Member of ASU Neuroscience Society
- Member of ASU Chess Club
- Volunteering at a local hospital over the summer and likely into the next years to come.
- Working to get a med scribe position for the summer as well.

If there are any significant EC's I should be starting now please let me know... I know there are quite a few that schools require and a lot more that they like to see, but its hard to fit all of them in with the current course load.

I hope that provides enough info, and thank you to anyone that can help me out here! Let me know if I should include anything else in this post, as well :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I just bombed a test in O Chem II, and I was just wondering how everything shaped up so far grade- and EC-wise. This has likely been covered in a different thread, if so, just LMK and I will check it out. Just a bit worried about how this bad chem grade will affect my chances of getting into a decent school (Think U of A Tucson or Phoenix... this is my honest pick of where I think I'll end up)

For background, I go to a state university (ASU....*), and plan on applying to medical schools throughout the country (a few good schools, a lot more average schools, and obviously one or two fall-back schools). I am going into my Junior year now (Fall 2017), and expect to graduate in Spring 2019 with a degree in Biology with a concentration in Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. I am considering MD/PhD programs as well. I am in the honors college at my Uni, if that is anything to consider.

*I know ASU is certainly the butt of many jokes in terms of being a degree-mill or whatever. I don't disagree that it comes off (or is) what people think of it, and I'm mostly curious to see if med schools consider this as a big factor when looking at my app. Realistically, I'm sure if my GPA is great and MCAT is as well, they won't have an issue since that pretty much shows that the courses were rigorous enough to prep me.

Current Grades/Expected for this semester:

(SCIENCES)
Gen Chem I: A
Gen Chem II: A
Gen Bio I: A
Gen Bio II: A
Precalc: B+
Calculus: A
Biostatistics: A
Organic Chem I: B
Organic Chem I Lab: A
Organic Chem II: C
Organic Chem II Lab: A
General Genetics: B
SOLUR Seminar: Pass/Fail (Pass)
Psychology I: A
Organic Evolution: B
Animal Behavior: A
Analytical Chemistry: A
Physical Chemistry: A
Biochemistry I: A
Physiology: A
Cell Bio: A

(NON-SCIENCES)
Human Event I: A
Human Event II: A
MED 100: A+
ASU 101: A+ (lol)
ENG 102: A+
Medical Anthropology: A-
Research Methods: A

Current *estimated* cumulative GPA: ~3.80

EC's:
- I have been doing research in a lab at Barrow Neurological Institute since late in my freshman year.
- SOLUR Researcher (Basically a selective program to provide funding for Undergrads in life science research)
- ASU Academic Bowl team member for my college
- Chemistry Lab instructor at ASU (since beginning Soph. year)
- Undergrad Student Gov. Senator for my College (Freshman year)
- Member of University Pre-Medical club
- Member of ASU Neuroscience Society
- Member of ASU Chess Club
- Volunteering at a local hospital over the summer and likely into the next years to come.
- Working to get a med scribe position for the summer as well.

If there are any significant EC's I should be starting now please let me know... I know there are quite a few that schools require and a lot more that they like to see, but its hard to fit all of them in with the current course load.

I hope that provides enough info, and thank you to anyone that can help me out here! Let me know if I should include anything else in this post, as well :)

If you're considering MSTP/MD PHD make
Sure your research is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope not cause i'm about to make a C in Physics II!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Worst case scienario. You get into a med school that requires a C+ or better in prereqs and have to retake ochem 2 in the summer before matriculation