Will EMT Litigation ruin my Med School Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yagshemash

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I need some advice.

I work as an EMT. I recently got into an accident while driving the ambulance with a patient inside to the hospital. The patient was stable. It was the night shift and I was running ALS OPS so I had been driving most of the night. I fell asleep behind the wheel. No one got hurt thankfully, but the vehicle was pretty badly damaged.

There's a pretty good chance that the EMS company will get sued and obviously, I'd be implicated. I don't have to mention in my application why my employment ended if I do get fired (I haven't heard back yet) but I'm worried that medical schools will see that I got sued. Will this ruin my chances of getting into medical school? Do med schools look into things like this? I just don't want to be barred from health care for this.

Members don't see this ad.

When I was applying there wasn't anything that required me to answer "have you been sued...or civil action against you"

If this results in you losing your license, that might come back to haunt you when you credential, but I doubt it will permanently stop you.

If they come after your criminally, that's where you might be in trouble. Let's hope that doesn't happen!!

Reactions: 1 user
You are most likely fine regardless of if you get fired or not. Chances of you individually getting sued are going to be slim. If the company gets sued it isn’t even remotely your problem.

When I was applying there wasn't anything that required me to answer "have you been sued...or civil action against you"

If this results in you losing your license, that might come back to haunt you when you credential, but I doubt it will permanently stop you.

If they come after your criminally, that's where you might be in trouble. Let's hope that doesn't happen!!
OP’s cert isn’t at risk here in any state that I would know. Accidents are just that, accidents.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

The background check question only covers convictions, not lawsuits.

The only way you get barred from becoming a physician is not being honest and upfront about it when prompted.

If you were driving while influenced, that would be a significant issue beyond what we can cover here.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for the reply! It’s reassuring to know! I’m not sure how this will affect my license, but we’ll see. From what I understand, these things go to civil not criminal court, so I’m not too concerned about that.

You are most likely fine regardless of if you get fired or not. Chances of you individually getting sued are going to be slim. If the company gets sued it isn’t even remotely your problem.

OP’s cert isn’t at risk here in any state that I would know. Accidents are just that, accidents.
Thank you guys! It’s reassuring to know!

Welcome to the forums.

The background check question only covers convictions, not lawsuits.

The only way you get barred from becoming a physician is not being honest and upfront about it when prompted.

If you were driving while influenced, that would be a significant issue beyond what we can cover here.
Thanks for the welcome! Wish it was under better circumstances, but it’s reassuring to know I’ll be fine. I’ll be honest if prompted, but I hope it doesn’t come to that, and based on other responses it most likely won’t. I saw on another forum that things like this can bar you from healthcare so I was worried. Also I wasn’t under the influence, I promise. I was fatigued from driving all night. I definitely learned my lesson.