"Why should we accept you?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicycoconut

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

What is your approach to answering this question for secondaries and/or interviews? I personally struggle with selling myself, and have no idea how to even start to answer this question

Members don't see this ad.

Following.

I can help with answer in terms of job search and so called tough interview question – why should we hire you? Not sure if that is applicable. Basic answer (at least one that always worked for me) – "because we have the same life path". It goes along with your answer to the question "tell us about yourself" when you tell your story, where did you come from, why are you in this interview, and where do you go. See your school career center, they should teach you how to answer that category of questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a question I wish I had been more prepared for at interviews.
Be honest -- this is your open invitation to talk about yourself. Where are your strengths? (and more importantly, what have you done to back them up). What makes you unique/what did you write in your diversity essay that might make you a unique addition or bring a new perspective to a medical school class?

Reactions: 4 users
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.

I actually do have a solid grasp of what my strengths and weaknesses are, who I am, why medicine, etc. But I'm not really sure if any of those things are unique enough to make me stand out among a sea of amazing applicants, if that makes sense.

“Because I’ll make you look good in 4 years when I graduate from here”

• Wow
  • Haha
What if it’s along the lines of, I possess a certain research skillset that I think would be helpful to your institution’s research endeavors etc. Is that too arrogant

What if it’s along the lines of, I possess a certain research skillset that I think would be helpful to your institution’s research endeavors etc. Is that too arrogant

Probably. I would phrase it more like your research interests align well with faculty X, Y, and Z.

Probably. I would phrase it more like your research interests align well with faculty X, Y, and Z.
“I’d feel like i’d Thrive in such environment given all the research opportunities with faculty such as .... “ I always used “thrive” in everyone answer for this question while subtlety praising the school

Gotcha, is that considered name-dropping? Or can that be viewed as a genuine interest? (And yes I would want to do bench work on the side if possible-I actually considered mdphd once upon a time)

Gotcha, is that considered name-dropping? Or can that be viewed as a genuine interest? (And yes I would want to do bench work on the side if possible-I actually considered mdphd once upon a time)

It shows you did your research. It's not name-dropping unless you're emphasizing a personal connection to a certain person.

Reactions: 2 users
“I have a very leadership and team oriented perspective, which I believe will contribute to my and my classmates success in XYZ curriculum and/or rotation things”. Is that A OK?

“I have a very leadership and team oriented perspective, which I believe will contribute to my and my classmates success in XYZ curriculum and/or rotation things”. Is that A OK?

I would focus on your experience in team-based activities in the past, how you contributed to those teams, and relating that to how you would succeed in medical school, especially if that school has a more team based learning curriculum.
Personally, I always think it sounds weird when people blatantly cite "leadership" as a personal strength/skill because it's an abstract quality and anyone can SAY that. Better to discuss in the context of what you have actually done.
On that note, actually most of the time I got this question, it was really phrased as "what sets you apart from other candidates that should make us accept you but not them?"

Reactions: 3 users
The best response to this secondary question is, “Because my father is a billionaire pharmaceutical CEO and your medical library was recently named after him following his latest 50 million dollar donation. Accept me or heads will roll.”

The only downside to this kind of response is that it’s only effective when it’s actually true. I learned that the hard way.

• Haha
If you’ve written your PS and AMCAS application correctly, you have already answered this question. This interview question will give you an opportunity to expand upon the foundation should have already been laid. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
think of it as dating. Why should that person go out with you? because you have the same life goals, same values, you want to live in the same area, same lifestyle. So, med school is exactly the same, in my opinion. Value - if they are research or primary care focused. Tie to specific area or community (show connection). Focus on specific field that you are focused on. You can even add specific lifestyle, or community involvement stuff that the school does that appeals to you. So, it is exactly like dating :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users