Who to contact when speaking to Admissions re: what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfnscale

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for my question. But, I'm a [kinda] career-changer who'd like some opinions from med schools on what classes I should take/re-take to strengthen my application. Who is it that I would contact for this? Should I just contact an admissions advisor at school x, sending them my transcript and resume and ask for their opinions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had great responses with this method, as long as you contact them well before you're planning to apply.

First send a greeting/inquiry email. Like, "Hi, I know you're super busy but I'm a potential applicant and really interested in your school. would someone be able to look over my transcripts with me?"

If they say yes, then you can send the documents. If you go for a tour, you can schedule a meeting then. If you cant go there, you can email a PDF.

Just try to be really polite, grateful, and concise. And be willing to take a NO. Try not to let the exchange drag on and on.

I was able to interact with 3 medical schools this way and got a lot of great advice and insight last year. I even have an interview at one of them now!

With regards to who specifically to contact, just use the [email protected] address, and don't go looking for the dean or some specific person, unless you have their card from a career fair or conference or something.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
@@Hazel-rah

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! It's good to hear that some people have had success with this too! I'll give it a try. :D Mind if I ask which schools you had contact with using this method? I'm always curious haha

@@Hazel-rah

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! It's good to hear that some people have had success with this too! I'll give it a try. :D Mind if I ask which schools you had contact with using this method? I'm always curious haha

Pm'd you

Not sure if this is the right place for my question. But, I'm a [kinda] career-changer who'd like some opinions from med schools on what classes I should take/re-take to strengthen my application. Who is it that I would contact for this? Should I just contact an admissions advisor at school x, sending them my transcript and resume and ask for their opinions?

Thanks!
Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN
1607148358 (ISBN13: 9781607148357)