What are my chances for DO admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleolions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am a Canadian applicant who is serious about applying to DO schools.

ORM - South Asian Immigrant but visible minority wearing a turban.

I currently have a 513 MCAT which will expire after this cycle. I have a 3.95 cGPA. I applied to MD schools last cycle but did not receive any interviews, just 4 pre II holds.

Since the last application, I have started working on a systematic review, and working as a Kinesiologist (Healthcare practitioner) as I severely lacked clinical experience. I work with patients in rehab and design exercise plans for them and teach them about safe body mechanics.

My ECs are:
- 800+ Hours of research (Subject Trials, Lab volunteering, Systematic review) - Currently preparing for 2 publications, which will likely be published by the end of this year
- 120 hours of volunteering in the community (tutoring immigrant students)
- 400+ Hours of leadership at clubs in university, started my own club where I lead my team to work on exercises with seniors
- Personal hobbies like basketball in rec leagues, cycling etc.
- 1000 hours of clinic experience (working as a registered kinesiologist)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I am a Canadian applicant who is serious about applying to DO schools.

I currently have a 513 MCAT which will expire after this cycle. I have a 3.95 cGPA. I applied to MD schools last cycle but did not receive any interviews, just 4 pre II holds.

Since the last application, I have started working on a systematic review, and working as a Kinesiologist (Healthcare practitioner) as I severely lacked clinical experience. I work with patients in rehab and design exercise plans for them and teach them about safe body mechanics.

My ECs are:
- 800+ Hours of research (Subject Trials, Lab volunteering, Systematic review) - Currently preparing for 2 publications, which will likely be published by the end of this year
- 400+ Hours of leadership at clubs in university, started my own club where I lead my team to work on exercises with seniors
You have a redflag somewhere in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

My ECs are:
I don't see much stopping you from DO. Obviously apply to international-friendly programs, but you'd have a good shot. Maybe even try your hand at MD again.

What if anything is new to your app this year?

Where is your school list from your last cycle? If you got no II's, what did you say was your purpose as a physician and how you address your mission fit?

How did you demonstrate your service orientation? Tutoring kids goes under "teaching," and most premeds do this. Food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax services, transportation services, or housing remediation are the best examples of this type of work, and you need 150 hours to avoid elimination pre-II.