Whippe Procedure and Arterial Lines.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For these kind of emergent cranis we set up the room in such a fashion so that post-intubation we can immediately turn the bed about 120 so the surgeon can start prepping- but we still have the patient’s arm facing us and accessible to work on 2nd IV and aline. Your patient does need an a-line, but what they need more is their skull flap off and a blood transfusion.

This. Like a NASCAR pit crew, we can work in parallel and do more than one thing at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For these kind of emergent cranis we set up the room in such a fashion so that post-intubation we can immediately turn the bed about 120 so the surgeon can start prepping- but we still have the patient’s arm facing us and accessible to work on 2nd IV and aline. Your patient does need an a-line, but what they need more is their skull flap off and a blood transfusion.
I offered to work together like that and usually do when I can anyway for elective cases as well but he acted like it wasn't feasible to do with the positioning he wanted so I insisted on an arterial line where all I had to do was cannulate the vessel (set up already done because our techs are outstanding). A second anesthesiologist who was free was helping me get lines and monitoring cables situated and a hot line connected for blood.

Reactions: 1 user