What is needed to have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wednesday

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I know that rad. onc. is highly competitive to get into. And of course things like AOA, clerkship grades, etc matter. But today I heard that two med fourth-year med students at my school who wanted to get into rad. onc. worked full time during their fourth year in my research lab. I did research this summer and am interested in getting into some clinical stuff within our rad onc department, but is this kind of committment to bench top research something that you need? I guess I'm just asking if all of the other applicants will have this and is someone at a disadvantage without it?

BTW I'm not saying that I would do something I'm not interested in just to get into a residency program. Just trying to get an idea of the preparation others will have.

Members don't see this ad.

you dont "need" to have bench top research. I think that having some research, clinical or basic sci, however, is becoming more and more necessary to stand in line with viable candidates. Some clinical research with you name on the publication will be valuable to have, and the more its related to oncology and rad onc the better.
Steph