CMS changes supervision rule. Rad Oncs no longer needed for daily operation of clinics. Med Students. Please read. You deserve to know implications.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My hospital medoncs are all off on Fridays now with chemo infusing; purely to help in this hard to recruit area

While I'm sitting here with no clinic patients Friday afternoons stuck (I am "freestanding"). It's infuriating.
That's ridiculous. There is a strict definition of freestanding. If you're on campus within a certain distance, you don't need an air-conditioned indoor corridor to make it ok. If you meet that definition but they are making you sit there anyway, I would point that out and renegotiate.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think any reasonable person is advocating for once a month visits like oh this is the day of the month out IR guy comes.

A rad onc showing up 3 days a week is practical however. This is common in other fields where docs have to drive in to a rural site. You can be away from your family 2-3 nights a week. Not 4-5.

So it’s cool to give chemo infusions when med onc is there 2 days a week but a rad onc has to be there every single day including Saturdays to treat 1-2 patients?

What’s going to be the outcome of this?
Dialysis riskier than RT acutely and it was mentioned on X that nephro doesn't directly supervise that

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm still worried without supervision requirements that things will go radically downhill for employed rad oncs.

Oh, you only need to be on site 3 days? Have 60% salary.

Or even better for owners--five sites a week, one employed rad onc at each one day a week, for one low salary. This way you can consolidate the job of 2-3 rad oncs into one rad onc for the same cost.

What are you going to do about it? The job market will implode when the current oversupply meets that kind of crash in demand.
radonc is still not professionally comfortable with low levels of supervisors but that will change in the next 5-10 years, and yes the job market will crater. already seen subtle changes. Very strict Hospitals that wouldn’t turn on linac without a doc are now ok if doc phones and says he is on his way….

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still worried without supervision requirements that things will go radically downhill for employed rad oncs.

Oh, you only need to be on site 3 days? Have 60% salary.

Or even better for owners--five sites a week, one employed rad onc at each one day a week, for one low salary. This way you can consolidate the job of 2-3 rad oncs into one rad onc for the same cost.

What are you going to do about it? The job market will implode when the current oversupply meets that kind of crash in demand.

Obviously I do not know the future and this is a reasonable concern, I just don't see that in my own job and it seems blind to the cultural reality of medicine.

Our clinic and company is flexible and friendly to work life balance, but every time we give someone more remote time, everyone complains about fairness. The med oncs walk over to talk all the time. Surgeons come down. We do SBRT daily (state requires presence).

Dropping a doc and going to 3 days at 60% salary is very possible, it would just wreck a current very successful clinic that generates a lot of money for the hospital. It would make referrings mad and patients uncomfortable.

There are lots of hypotheticals flying without real discussion of how hospital admins make choices in real life. These cultural factors are what has kept a lot of places from just doing this now, it's completely legal today.

Just a point to consider.

• Hmm
Dialysis riskier than RT acutely and it was mentioned on X that nephro doesn't directly supervise that
The med onc world would have extreme logistical difficulties if a med onc had to be physically present in the freestanding infusion center or hospital for any and all systemic therapies. And I think IV adriamycin etc is riskier than dialysis or a small XRT fraction.

Reactions: 6 users
CMS would basically have to create NEW supervision guidelines that never existed to meet the demands of ASTRO. Supervision has always been tied to the IGRT, so even in the heyday of supervision hysteria one could feasibly have offered treatment with no physician present without running afoul of CMS regulations if they didn't do IGRT. (e.g. breast tangents, palliative cases, etc.). It would be interesting to know the history of supervision for diagnostic tests such as CTs, MRIs, and aligning fiducials on KV images. Reading through ACR documents, it seems like maybe it was tied to contrast administration?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
CMS would basically have to create NEW supervision guidelines that never existed to meet the demands of ASTRO. Supervision has always been tied to the IGRT, so even in the heyday of supervision hysteria one could feasibly have offered treatment with no physician present without running afoul of CMS regulations if they didn't do IGRT. (e.g. breast tangents, palliative cases, etc.). It would be interesting to know the history of supervision for diagnostic tests such as CTs, MRIs, and aligning fiducials on KV images. Reading through ACR documents, it seems like maybe it was tied to contrast administration?
Exactly what I've heard. Those were essentially moonlighting gigs in many residencies. Standalone rads facilities needing a physician on-site for IV contrast admin

Reactions: 2 users
That's ridiculous. There is a strict definition of freestanding. If you're on campus within a certain distance, you don't need an air-conditioned indoor corridor to make it ok. If you meet that definition but they are making you sit there anyway, I would point that out and renegotiate.
Is there a strict definition?

Seems like hospital owned freestanding = HOPPS

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a strict definition?

Seems like hospital owned freestanding = HOPPS
They have to choose to bill that way I think if they takeover a practice. At least that's what I've heard. If it's from the ground up hospital owned, then I think they start billing HOPPS right away

1710335596627.png

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Lets get this straight:

- I am not a member of ASTRO because I do not believe they represent physicians in small solo practice hospital-based and freestanding centers.
- They want to not only end virtual supervision but also roll back general supervision requirements to a pre-2019 "incident to" era for everybody.
- This preferentially discriminates against these same small centers.
- And their solution is to open up a forum and town hall to members only. The ones most affected by this left their organization long ago because we felt like they hate us.
- So we cannot provide feedback on not smacking us in the face even more as we left them in the past for constantly beating us down.

There is no way around this. This will hurt care of patients in small communities. Rad oncs that have moved to 4 and 3 day weeks so they can commute out to the boonies are not going to go back. They will move on and the hospital will fill the gap with a hodgepodge of rotating locums. What's better? Having a competent BC rad onc physically there 3-4 days a week and available via phone/Facetime otherwise or having a different ABR-grandfathered geriatric locums every other week?

Screw ASTRO.

JM has been a complete disaster. Let this be a warning and learning experience to anyone who considers voting for washu establishment ever again.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lets get this straight:

- I am not a member of ASTRO because I do not believe they represent physicians in small solo practice hospital-based and freestanding centers.
- They want to not only end virtual supervision but also roll back general supervision requirements to a pre-2019 "incident to" era for everybody.
- This preferentially discriminates against these same small centers.
- And their solution is to open up a forum and town hall to members only. The ones most affected by this left their organization long ago because we felt like they hate us.
- So we cannot provide feedback on not smacking us in the face even more as we left them in the past for constantly beating us down.

There is no way around this. This will hurt care of patients in small communities. Rad oncs that have moved to 4 and 3 day weeks so they can commute out to the boonies are not going to go back. They will move on and the hospital will fill the gap with a hodgepodge of rotating locums. What's better? Having a competent BC rad onc physically there 3-4 days a week and available via phone/Facetime otherwise or having a different ABR-grandfathered geriatric locums every other week?

Screw ASTRO.

the dude your opinion GIF

• Dislike
  • Haha
Interpretation:

We've gotten a lot of blowback over a position that was apparently the brainchild of our ivory tower leadership and didn't really consider the "little people." Sorry about that. However, don't lose hope, you can still give your feedback to us in several ways:

1. Post to our carefully curated, heavily moderated message board which has a known track record of deleting "problematic" posts and users. And by "problematic" we mean people who don't kowtow to ASTRO leadership policy positions.

2. Send us an email that will probably go straight into a spam folder. But, if it makes you feel better, sending an email to us will generate an auto-response thanking you for your time.

3. Come to our town hall where our leadership will lecture to you for 50 min and then leave 10 min for questions. Of course, we don't really want to answer difficult questions so all of the people asking questions will be carefully curated and selected to allow ASTRO administration to feel safe.

Thanks, and don't forget to pay your annual dues and donate to ROI!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
The lobby for making virtual supervision permanent is much stronger than ASTRO. Still, it's just laughable how out of touch ASTRO is. CMS has been relaxing supervision rules for years. Pre-covid they made supervision in hospitals GENERAL. For the last several years, it's been clear to everyone that CMS was moving towards at minimum making virtual supervision permanent elsewhere. How tone deaf can ASTRO be to now draft a letter arguing for direct supervision in all spaces? The arguments in their letter are laughable. Yeah, breast radiation reactions are the most serious thing in medicine. You must sit at your desk 8-5 every day and be ready on a moment's notice to manage a skin reaction. Meanwhile, your med onc and nephrology colleagues can hit the links while their patients are getting chemo and dialysis. FU michalski.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
The lobby for making virtual supervision permanent is much stronger than ASTRO. Still, it's just laughable how out of touch ASTRO is. CMS has been relaxing supervision rules for years. Pre-covid they made supervision in hospitals GENERAL. For the last several years, it's been clear to everyone that CMS was moving towards at minimum making virtual supervision permanent elsewhere. How tone deaf can ASTRO be to now draft a letter arguing for direct supervision in all spaces? The arguments in their letter are laughable. Yeah, breast radiation reactions are the most serious thing in medicine. You must sit at your desk 8-5 every day and be ready on a moment's notice to manage a skin reaction. Meanwhile, your med onc and nephrology colleagues can hit the links while their patients are getting chemo and dialysis. FU michalski.
I don't really care about virtual direct (and I'm totally on the side of you all for whom that matters), but it's the desire to eliminate general in hospitals that's got me all pissed off to go back to a time of "linac babysitters."

I remember getting paid $2200/day to sit in a building where run of the mill outpatients were being treated. I literally got paid $300/hr to surf the internet and screw around on my phone. But I needed to be there "to bill." Not for emergencies (which I can't handle anyway being a rad onc), but "to bill." It was ridiculous on its face. Clearly when this thread was started in 2019 there were concerns solely related to whether it would wreck the value of our labor by doing away with linac babysitters, but this did not materialize.

Can somebody please explain why ASTRO wants to return to this? What's the real reason? It's financially in somebody's best interest, so whose is it and how? Obviously the "safety" PC answer is easily disabused. I have heard that it relates to a direct supervision requirement for IGRT which NOBODY does. Offline review sometime in the next 24 hours.

Last edited:
I don't really care about virtual direct (and I'm totally on the side of you all for whom that matters), but it's the desire to eliminate general in hospitals that's got me all pissed off to go back to a time of "linac babysitters."

I remember getting paid $2200/day to sit in a building where run of the mill outpatients were being treated. I literally got paid $300/hr to surf the internet and screw around on my phone. But I needed to be there "to bill." Not for emergencies (which I can't handle anyway being a rad onc), but "to bill." It was ridiculous on its face. Clearly when this thread was started in 2019 there were concerns solely related to whether it would wreck the value of our labor by doing away with linac babysitters, but this did not materialize.

Can somebody please explain why ASTRO wants to return to this? What's the real reason? It's financially in somebody's best interest, so whose is it and how? Obviously the "safety" PC answer is easily disabused. I have heard that it relates to a direct supervision requirement for IGRT which NOBODY does. Offline review sometime in the next 24 hours.
They need to find jobs for the 180+ residents graduating a year. Because we know they aren't cutting slots...

Get rid of a long term busy private guy with a PSA at a hospital practice when it gets taken over by an academic mothership and hire 2 new grads at less than half the salary and you'll always have direct coverage when one of them is on vacation!

Last edited:
  • Haha
What came of that?
Sounds like they want to create a group to touch base with CMS that isn't Astro. Maybe will involve acr and acro, who knows. CMS made the decision to go to general right before covid even started

ASTRO is so out of touch on this issue it's absurd.

This decision was made and done by CMS. Full stop . Things should be instituted to put appropriate guard rails in place, not go back to 2010.

Michalskis own institution published a paper on virtual supervision of sbrt. Anyone up for doing that? Not me

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
They need to find jobs for the 180+ residents graduating a year. Because we know they aren't cutting slots...

If this is true, it is beyond pathetic. Imagine spending 13 years of your life credentialling for a career, one of the longest career training paths in existence, only to come out and be told that your job is to sit there for 8 hours a day for compliance reasons. That's it. That's all you're good for. Seems like a fast track to depression and substance abuse.

This was the entire reason I went to med school. Because I didn't want to have to report to an office cubicle 8 hours a day with likely nothing to do, but you had to be present and pretend to be busy. And I didn't understand how to start businesses at age 22.

Clown show.

Get rid of a long term busy private guy with a PSA at a hospital practice when it gets taken over by an academic mothership and hire 2 new grads at less than half the salary and you'll always have direct coverage when one of them is on vacation!
I have seen this with my own eyes. 2 rad oncs treating like 20 patients between them and splitting the RVUs. Because letting one guy do it and bring in a locums occasionally is such a massive problem.

• Haha

No one knows the real reason. My suspicion is to prevent PE from entering RO and allowing for 1 doctor to cover multiple clinics from his/her home.

That would mess up the workforce numbers for sure.

Reactions: 7 users

Requiring direct in all sites of service for all services approximately doubles the need for rad oncs in America, I agree (also… amazingly!… will half the salary for all rad oncs too)

Let’s add in that residents can’t provide supervision and see how quickly the ASTRO leaders change their tune

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Let’s add in that residents can’t provide supervision and see how quickly the ASTRO leaders change their tune

They can't, at least in certain states.

Wouldn’t this increase job opportunities? I’ve seen alot of people here bash ASTRO leaders and department chairs for destroying the job market for personal benefits. But now everyone is upset they’re actually trying to improve job market because it could potentially have negative effect on your job. To me, it seems kind of hypocritical. Am I missing something?

• Haha
Wouldn’t this increase job opportunities? I’ve seen alot of people here bash ASTRO leaders and department chairs for destroying the job market for personal benefits. But now everyone is upset they’re actually trying to improve job market because it could potentially have negative effect on your job. To me, it seems kind of hypocritical. Am I missing something?

What you are missing if the above is true is that they are going to give you 15 hours worth of work to do but require you to be present for 40 hours a week. We typically get paid for what we do in medicine. So you will do less than half and get paid less than half what we are now. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you only came in 2 days a week. This is called a part time job. But they are going to claim ownership of your body for the other 3 days preventing you from generating additional income in other ways.

I believe WashU said the quiet part out loud proclaiming that this was their goal many years ago -- driving down physician pay.

• Care
Ultimately it increases job opportunities like taking a loaf of bread and making the slices twice as thin increases food opportunities.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
What you are missing if the above is true is that they are going to give you 15 hours worth of work to do but require you to be present for 40 hours a week. We typically get paid for what we do in medicine. So you will do less than half and get paid less than half what we are now. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you only came in 2 days a week. This is called a part time job. But they are going to claim ownership of your body for the other 3 days preventing you from generating additional income in other ways.

I believe WashU said the quiet part out loud proclaiming that this was their goal many years ago -- driving down physician pay.
Okay that makes sense. I think there should be some middle ground that creates more job opportunities to address the below average market without crushing the pay. Because from what it looks like, the residency programs aren’t decreasing the spots.

When a University (chair is in ASTRO) takes over a small hospital and proceeds to push out the solo RadOnc working there, one selling point is “we will always have a free doc there for you”. seen this firsthand many times

funny thing is i have heard that the astro chair is in clinic like 2 days a week.
so it doesn't really even affect him. if he is away doing ASTRO things, there is 30+ other docs at WashU to provide supervision for his patients.

funny thing is i have heard that the astro chair is in clinic like 2 days a week.
so it doesn't really even affect him. if he is away doing ASTRO things, there is 30+ other docs at WashU to provide supervision for his patients.

This is true, but I don't think 30 physicians are still there. I suspect they will be perpetually hiring if anyone is interested. The presidente also reguarly does telemedicine and holds a license in Utah, and we published two papers on the exceptional safety of virtually supervising SBRT and on table adaptive therapies. Real honest with their opinions, these people.

Anyway.

Simul wrote a very long letter to the ASTRO Policy email and he asked me to post that here. I think it is good and I want people to see it. Enjoy.

I know that we have had some contentious moments in the past, but I think this is an opportunity to find some common ground. I do hope you take the time to read this in detail and perhaps set up a call.

The letter sent by you to CMS was a very good example of why members and former members (like myself) remain frustrated with the society and why membership will continue to fall. Our “memberships” are very different. I.e. – the people that join and participate in ASTRO are often not the same people that listen to The Accelerators / Out of The Basement podcasts and are active on SDN/Twitter. Because of the lack of overlap, there can be a perception that what seems completely reasonable to ASTRO leadership is a hill to die on for non-members, and vice-versa. We have tried to engage, but ASTRO has decided to stop being guests on the show, and that’s okay. I have reached out to the CEO about a year and half ago to chat and she said yes that sounds great, but then when I followed up, was ignored. I’ve also tried to connect with Sue Yom, and she has told people that I was not worth talking to since I am not academic. So, I’ve tried and here goes one more time …

If it’s not clear, I will go over the main issues that the greater radonc community is frustrated with:
  1. This was done unilaterally without comments. This blindsided both ASTRO members, some non-high level staff/leadership and non-members alike. We have been living in relative peace since 2020 when they strengthened autonomy and allowed for general supervision at the hospital level. This came out of nowhere and without discussion with members and non-members. We are not children. We are not here to serve you. ASTRO is for radiation oncologists. Not the other way around. When a diktat comes like this from the top without discussion it is infuriating and disrespectful. Does this not occur to you that we may want to be part of the conversation? Jeff – none of the Astro leadership works rural like I do. Most of you don’t know community hospital medicine. None of you have zero partners like me. This is a different world and many of us live/work in places like this. It’s like if rich people said to poor people, “Guys, you really should just work hard and play by the rules. You’ll be fine if you do.” You have to understand our circumstances and that is by talking to us and including us.
  1. General supervision has existed since 2020 and has not been an issue. I have general supervision. How many days has the center operated without a physician present? Perhaps 5 times in 520 days, 2-3 for my dad’s funeral in summer of 2022***, and a few other travel days, when there were no 1) new starts 2) SBRT/SRS 3) CT simulations 4) virtual simulations 5) Challenging setups. If you think doctors are going to abuse this, maybe you have to consider better training in residency or pick better humans. That being said, I know 100s of radoncs personally and they are not sleazebags. I wonder why this assumption that people will behave badly.
***We could not get a locums to Port Huron. We are talking $2000 to sit for 6 hours to have 4-10 patients get treated. I know the VA in St Louis pays like $1500 for way harder work. If my hospital didn’t let me take the day from home when my father was sick / died, I would have let the center not treat patients. Every single patient would have missed their treatments. And, I would have them email you and then have you explain why having a physician on site for every treatment is vital. Please do consider the human cost of these types of policies.
  1. It’s not ASTRO or any society’s role to police ethics. I’m a small town doc, so I provide access 24/7 – every patient and caregiver has my cell phone – and can reach me nights/weekends/vacations. That is not a requirement. It’s my internal quality policy. I know that when I find the right person to hire as my partner, they will share similar values. They will know that general supervision is reasonable, but we don’t say we are working from home on a Friday but are on a beach somewhere out of the state or on a mountain and unreachable. ASTRO making a blanket recommendation that feels very “parental” but it is not the society’s role to manage or discipline for this (and, obviously, they can’t). This is not a guardrail. This is punitive.
  1. There is simply no data to support regulating this. If there were multiple errors due to lack of supervision, if there were a dozen centers operating in Michigan (where the CON lets us virtually supervise) without a doc on site, if patients and referrings were complaining of lack of presence – yes, then we have an issue. We simply don’t have the data to make another change. ASTRO’s Red Journal studies so many non-cancer related things like carbon emissions from linacs or demography counting or whatever, but to make a huge policy shift, they didn’t consider having anyone study this in a meaningful way? If you publish a good study that says it benefits patients to be here all the time, trust me, many of our minds will be changed. Think about Mantz’ wrong side treatment – this was in the news. Direct supervision occurred and yet, still this happened. Wrong site treatment and grade 4/5 toxicity is what we get sued for in radonc – neither have to do with supervision.
  1. I utilize general supervision often – to run out for a late lunch, to take a stroll on a nice day, to be able to drop my kid off to school but take them for donuts before that, to pick them up from school if sick, to get a quick workout in mid-day. If there are no clinic patients and no sims or new starts, occasionally I say I’ll work from home on Friday, but it rarely happens because I am the sole doc and I feel a responsibility to be around, even if just for a few hours. You see, I had good mentorship and training and now how to police myself
    😊
    I hope you have done this for your trainees. But, this is important. When your mentors are teachers are good human beings, your trainees usually end up that way. Sushil Beriwal taught us to be good humans first then good doctors. He’s a gem. Wish more people like him were in ASTRO leadership.
  1. There are many working mothers out there that will be unfairly penalized to try to be a good parents and a good doctor. Let’s be honest – is it safer for me to view my own films from home of patients I know very well or to have a retiree babysit my linac that has no idea about what’s going on? This is the quiet part that needs to be said aloud – the current group of linac babysitters out there willing to take $1000-2000 to sit in a chair for 8 hours are not as good as Laura Dover or me or Join Luh at our home with a laptop and an iphone. We are going to lose talented women (and some men) that will just not want to have a job where they are tied to a linac for regulatory reasons – not patient safety reasons. Our specialty is much less attractive than others now. Nobody wanted to be a psychiatrist when I was a med student. It was an FMG field. Now, it’s fire – telemedicine has helped the specialty attract better docs and it’s also improved access for patients. Win win!
  1. “Existential threat” – this is being bandied about. Please stop. The number one existential threat is increasing the number of residents when fractions, patients, indications and reimbursement are decreasing. This is so incredibly tone deaf that it makes it very challenging to have a meaningful discussion. When I see these phrases, especially from senior leadership (president-elect, for one), I understand that I cannot take this person seriously. These are the words of an unserious person. For 3.5 years we have had general supervision and nothing bad has happened. Use language carefully – we are not fools, please do not treat us as such. This is not a threat. Bridge Oncology is not a threat. Hospital consolidation, APPs and Academic Medical Centers playing hardball are existential threats to me. The guy in Saginaw covering his center 4 days a week is not.
  1. We feel like ASTRO has either ignored the wording about who can provide supervision or is wanting APPs to increase their scope. This is problematic. All of the recent ASTRO documents have said “physicians preferred, but APPs if credentialed are fine”. This lines up with Medicare, but Medicare doesn’t even say physicians are best. If ASTRO wants someone to be on site for 5 days a week for every treatment, then please make it a board certified radiation oncologist. I know that GenesisCare uses retired OB-Gyns in MI to babysit the linac. Mantz, one of your board members, was senior leadership there so he must be aware of this. This is not good. We need radoncs supervising. Preferably direct, but general in a pinch. Please work on making this an important part of ASTRO’s upcoming business. Oh, and please stop calling me provider. It’s “doctor”, actually.
ASTRO comes off as anti-community practice constantly. I have heard that this proposal takes priority over worrying about small town docs. This is unfortunate. Your residents don’t want to work where I do. Your residents don’t want to live where I live. Who do you want to run these small centers? Locums rotating every few weeks? People who cannot pass their boards? Ethically challenged docs? It is far better to have a competent doc on site 4 days a week, working from home for a day a week vs rotating locums covering 5 days / week. And you all know this. You know that you’d want a hard working doc be there for 25 years and take care of your community. Places like Rice Lake WI, Alma MI, Portsmouth OH, and I can list a dozen others (just look on your website and PracticeLink) – simply cannot get a full time doc for years. Locums are far more expensive than having a full time doctor with benefits, but they are not the solution. If you want to make this specialty attractive for a wide group of people, if you want the best and brightest doctors, please consider changing the wording dramatically on this letter and re-submitting to CMS.

Finally, please invite non-members to the Town Hall. If this is a members-only meeting, you’re just going to continue to anger people. Open it up, let people actually talk. If it is scheduled for one hour, limit your own talking to 5-7 minutes and let the people talk. We know the issue, we do not need a lecture. Very few of you are currently running a single linac site in a small town. Let those people speak.

I hope we can find common ground. There is a chance for ASTRO to come out on top, rather than looking inept, yet again. This is a chip shot. LFG!

Simul

It’s worth a read of this thread starting from this post, to get a sense of the discussion

CMS changes supervision rule. Rad Oncs no longer needed for daily operation of clinics. Med Students. Please read. You deserve to know implications.

• Love
  • Haha
If this is true, it is beyond pathetic. Imagine spending 13 years of your life credentialling for a career, one of the longest career training paths in existence, only to come out and be told that your job is to sit there for 8 hours a day for compliance reasons. That's it. That's all you're good for. Seems like a fast track to depression and substance abuse.

This was the entire reason I went to med school. Because I didn't want to have to report to an office cubicle 8 hours a day with likely nothing to do, but you had to be present and pretend to be busy. And I didn't understand how to start businesses at age 22.

Clown show.

I have seen this with my own eyes. 2 rad oncs treating like 20 patients between them and splitting the RVUs. Because letting one guy do it and bring in a locums occasionally is such a massive problem.
ASTRO is very anti-private practice, and I am sure this is, in part, motivated by a desire to further squelch independent practice. Flexibility is one of the last true benefits of private practice. Your work is done at 2pm on Friday afternoon? Go ahead and take off early and supervise remotely. Can't make it in at 9am for any number of uncontrollable reasons? It's Ok, we're not gonna report you to some nurse manager or douchebag chairman with a bowtie. Differential reimbursement to hospitals vs. freestanding has already equalized income. But at least we can still offer these little perks. It does also give private guys some ability to compete with hospitals in spite of differential reimbursement. There are hospitals and academic centers that can open radiation centers anywhere/anytime that basically cannot fail. Their reimbursement is so high they can meet ovehead with 5 on treat and still employ a full time doctor. It's impossible to do that in private practice. Supervision flexibility can make starting a radiation center or staffing a couple of low volume sites (e.g. rural sites) just a little easier on the private side.

Reactions: 10 users
Requiring direct in all sites of service for all services approximately doubles the need for rad oncs in America, I agree (also… amazingly!… will half the salary for all rad oncs too)
Less than half. Don't forget faculty subsidies and departmental savings to the bigger system

e

enlighten us

Ha, I wish I could. This is a huge topic I am interested in but I am not Beckta, so you wont get a comprehensive documentary from me.

Great twitter thread on how academic radiology has changed. Might be an all time favorite for me: https://x.com/DarelHeitkamp/status/1256295043964588033?s=20

I guess I'd just say there are important parallels in our field, and a lot of academic radiation oncologists reach out to tell me they feel over worked/under paid/not on mission. I felt similarly. Many departments do not balance clinical load equally across physicians.

There are important differences too, still wrapping my head around it. One important consideration is that the number of ROs is increasing, national RVUs not keeping pace, the field does not have a lot of research funding, and Rad Oncs have to deal with inflation like everyone else. I don't think chairs will be willing to drop their salaries to help out the pot?

The point about academic over PP payor advantage is true, but if you talk to juniors... what they have built seems unsustainable, even with the ridiculous payor contracts.

Thats all I have right now.

Someone sent this to me (I'm not ASTRO member). Surprised no one has posted it yet - one of the ROHub responses that I can only assume will get taken down

Attachments

• 0233C71D-F127-498C-B589-E8DFA472BB6E.jpeg
    0233C71D-F127-498C-B589-E8DFA472BB6E.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Love
  • Haha
Someone sent this to me (I'm not ASTRO member). Surprised no one has posted it yet - one of the ROHub responses that I can only assume will get taken down
Telling the truth is never wrong. Can you even get on ROHub as a non member?

The only advice I can offer ASTRO at this time is best delivered by Ice Cube.
ice cube GIF

When you’re a w2 thinking you have a good gig getting paid 300-500k bc you have some free time doomscrolling while being required to be on site. That’s how they get ya.

Meanwhile if you were truly independent, you could be productive with that time and rake in upper 6 figures minimum.

the letter has already been sent, what exactly does the town hall accomplish