What is going on at walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard they missed the profit mark on wal street for sure last quarter. They blamed it on PBM's and generic drug costs. Said generic drugs were going down? made no sense. anyway, a manager friend in south Florida just got cut at a premier store. Hes alone now, 12 hour shifts....etc. I also heard rumors of them closing stores earlier? They did say they would begin "cost cutting efforts" in the press release...

Anybody have any experience to share as of yet? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard they missed the profit mark on wal street for sure last quarter. They blamed it on PBM's and generic drug costs. Said generic drugs were going down? made no sense. anyway, a manager friend in south Florida just got cut at a premier store. Hes alone now, 12 hour shifts....etc. I also heard rumors of them closing stores earlier? They did say they would begin "cost cutting efforts" in the press release...

Anybody have any experience to share as of yet? thanks.

Yes - I have direct knowledge of this. It is true, there are some fairly significant cuts happening at Walgreens right now. They are being done quietly though as to not cause much of a stir. A store that I was over just cut 1 full staff pharmacist position. But it was done in a tricky way to cause less “waves”. When someone quit in a neighboring store we were to move a pharmacist in a 3 ft pharmacist store to a 2 ft pharmacist store. The net effect was to make both stores 2 ft pharmacists regardless of the volume. A 9-9 pharmacy that does about 450 Rx a day is quite thin.

If you are familiar with the stock market, it looks to me like wags was trying to hide the state of affairs from the public in q4 of 2018, but could no longer hide the issues in q1 of 2019, which caused a significant devaluation of shares and sell off

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Yikes, 450 in a 12 hour day with no overlap?!

I used to have 14 hour Mondays at CVS during snowbird season that were north of 400 (and even a few that were >500) and honestly I felt like that was going to break me. I can't even imagine if that were the norm rather than the outliers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a friend who is rxm and moving 3 states away cause store is closing

Yikes, 450 in a 12 hour day with no overlap?!

I used to have 14 hour Mondays at CVS during snowbird season that were north of 400 (and even a few that were >500) and honestly I felt like that was going to break me. I can't even imagine if that were the norm rather than the outliers.

And yes, that was the expectation - cover 12 hrs with no overlap. Basically all hours of the day are to be covered by one rph

And yet the state BOPs feel this is safe. I think this is more critical than the opioid crisis.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes - I have direct knowledge of this. It is true, there are some fairly significant cuts happening at Walgreens right now. They are being done quietly though as to not cause much of a stir. A store that I was over just cut 1 full staff pharmacist position. But it was done in a tricky way to cause less “waves”. When someone quit in a neighboring store we were to move a pharmacist in a 3 ft pharmacist store to a 2 ft pharmacist store. The net effect was to make both stores 2 ft pharmacists regardless of the volume. A 9-9 pharmacy that does about 450 Rx a day is quite thin.

If you are familiar with the stock market, it looks to me like wags was trying to hide the state of affairs from the public in q4 of 2018, but could no longer hide the issues in q1 of 2019, which caused a significant devaluation of shares and sell off
Honestly I would just quit that job. You'll find a way to make money one way or another eventually, but to be put in a situation in which you will most likely make a mistake that could potential harm someone... that's something you're going to live with for the rest of your life.

I heard it was fairly serious. that sucks

Have a friend who is rxm and moving 3 states away cause store is closing

Thats aweful man. Who is gonna wanna work these jobs anymore? the quality is so poor ya know? i would imagine desperate new grads who dont know any better. The smart, hard working pharms are all gonna split or retire early. These jobs are becoming unsustainable. period. time to get out until things get better or just stay out.

Based on previous comments about CVS workload on SDN, verifying 450-500 a day for 1 RPH no overlap and no automation at CVS regularly probably does not happen that infrequently, especially considering they cut hours for formerly 24-hour pharmacies.

"If CVS can push pharmacists to do more and more with fewer staff why not us?"

Yipper..Just heard about staff cuts last week from a "cutee".......WAGS went nutz about 10 years ago building stores in every little crossroads they could find and now it is biting..Customers who mention it hate the operation....I laughed at the BOPS comment....generally chains have someone on the board..boards that could care less about the peons except to blame them as needed....after all YOU have the license and should rectify any unsafe situation...right? AND..to add real injury from insult....the oldtimers now have stock that is dropping..THEY had better bail soon......soon...Then we have SKO.........

And yet the state BOPs feel this is safe. I think this is more critical than the opioid crisis.

People somewhere are cashing in on this opioid "crisis"....trust me