What happens to old applications? (2nd try)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderPhan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, apprently the system didn't want to post the message body the last time I tried :mad:, so here we go again.

I applied to schools two years ago but ended up pulling my application for personal reasons. I was wondering what happens to your old application at the places you applied to? Is it still on file somewhere in the admissions office? Do they compare a new application against an old app? What about letters of recommendation? Do the keep those too?

:confused:

Thanks,
pp

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, one school in particular--medical college of virginia keep the completed file including letters of recommedation. I think most schools if not all keep the old applications for various reasons.

Good luck to you.

MS II

I'm pretty sure most schools keep your application. In some cases you are able to use the same LORs as last year, and are not required to send in anything new. I think most schools keep the old app around to make it easier for them to spot significant changes in your application. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
i asked ucirvine and they said they throw them out....as in they have no bearing on the current years app...

Some schools do keep them and refer back to them if you check that you have applied there before. They will ask you what you have done since the last time you applied there to imporve your application.

The schools I am familiar with keep them for a set number of years. Ukentucky still had my app from 1995 on file when I applied this year... which was uncomfortably pointed out to me by my first interviewer when he said (while looking at my old app) "Huh, do you remember that I interviewed you before..." I didnt :(