What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

louie667

Reaction score
Hello sdn ,
I just took my DAT and here are my stats:
-Latino male (idk if that matters lol)
-California applicant
-18 AA DAT 18 TS DAT 15 QR DAT
-3.70 GPA —> Biology Major
-4 strong letters
-Shadowing + volunteer experience

I’m worried about my test scores because I only reviewed 3 weeks, if I had an extra week I’m sure I would have scored 20+ but it is what it is... I just want to know what are my chances and if maybe I should reconsider? I’m so disappointed because I got A’s in calculus for crying out loud to get a 15 in QR...

Edit: oh yeah thanks for any replies I appreciate it, I guess I just wanna know what’s my next move... I have pretty much my application done, should I just submit and not look back or retake the dat?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is still a good score. How many shadow/volunteer hours do you have? And what schools are you applying to?

That is still a good score. How many shadow/volunteer hours do you have? And what schools are you applying to?

Mmmm I have about 50 hours of shadowing experience, 100+ hours volunteering at a hospital, and 80 hours from USC dental explorers program... I’m applying to WesternU, Loma Linda, USC, UCLA, UCSF, Vegas, I may add more now but do you think this score is adequate relative to dental school standards, I mean what do you think? I heard they look at every section individually and I am not to satisfied with my scores because I know I could have done way better I just hope my gpa and letters can get a spotlight in this.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello sdn ,
I just took my DAT and here are my stats:
-Latino male (idk if that matters lol)
-California applicant
-18 AA DAT 18 TS DAT 15 QR DAT
-3.70 GPA —> Biology Major
-4 strong letters
-Shadowing + volunteer experience

I’m worried about my test scores because I only reviewed 3 weeks, if I had an extra week I’m sure I would have scored 20+ but it is what it is... I just want to know what are my chances and if maybe I should reconsider? I’m so disappointed because I got A’s in calculus for crying out loud to get a 15 in QR...

Edit: oh yeah thanks for any replies I appreciate it, I guess I just wanna know what’s my next move... I have pretty much my application done, should I just submit and not look back or retake the dat?
The QR score is low. You need to check with your schools to see if you meet their minimum cutoff requirement. Also, double check if your schools have a shadowing hours minimum. Some schools (not sure in the California area) have a 100 hour shadowing requirement. Otherwise, your app looks good. Good luck!

*Edited: Overall, your DAT is kinda low. You might consider a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m so disappointed because I got A’s in calculus for crying out loud to get a 15 in QR...
Calculus was not tested on the QR section....and scoring well in a harder subject doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well in easier subjects
Mmmm I have about 50 hours of shadowing experience, 100+ hours volunteering at a hospital, and 80 hours from USC dental explorers program... I’m applying to WesternU, Loma Linda, USC, UCLA, UCSF, Vegas, I may add more now but do you think this score is adequate relative to dental school standards, I mean what do you think? I heard they look at every section individually and I am not to satisfied with my scores because I know I could have done way better I just hope my gpa and letters can get a spotlight in this.
You need more shadowing hours, and what's the complete breakdown of your scores? 18AA might be because your QR is dragging it down, but an 18TS isn't very impressive. Also, everyone might think they have excellent letters, but you never really know. As far as GPA, some schools are easier than others, allowing people to have high GPAs (think CSUs vs UCs), and that is why the DAT is the equalizer. High GPA + high DAT is the best combo, whereas a high GPA + low DAT basically kinda says that sure, you got As, but you were not able to copy that over in your DAT performance, so maybe it was easy to get As at your school. Sorry for the bluntness, but it is what it is....

I'd schedule a retake, which would basically be end of September now. You can apply to some schools in the meanwhile, and add more schools after you receive your unofficial scores from your retake. Sure it'll be really late, but you never know what could happen, and if you don't get in this cycle, at least you'll have good scores to apply with next cycle. From your list though, I'd take UCLA and UCSF off because their averages are higher and they like research. If you're going to apply now, I'd apply to at least 10 schools that aren't "reach" schools..and like I said, add more depending on your retake scores. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Calculus was not tested on the QR section....and scoring well in a harder subject doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well in easier subjects

You need more shadowing hours, and what's the complete breakdown of your scores? 18AA might be because your QR is dragging it down, but an 18TS isn't very impressive. Also, everyone might think they have excellent letters, but you never really know. As far as GPA, some schools are easier than others, allowing people to have high GPAs (think CSUs vs UCs), and that is why the DAT is the equalizer. High GPA + high DAT is the best combo, whereas a high GPA + low DAT basically kinda says that sure, you got As, but you were not able to copy that over in your DAT performance, so maybe it was easy to get As at your school. Sorry for the bluntness, but it is what it is....

I'd schedule a retake, which would basically be end of September now. You can apply to some schools in the meanwhile, and add more schools after you receive your unofficial scores from your retake. Sure it'll be really late, but you never know what could happen, and if you don't get in this cycle, at least you'll have good scores to apply with next cycle. From your list though, I'd take UCLA and UCSF off because their averages are higher and they like research. If you're going to apply now, I'd apply to at least 10 schools that aren't "reach" schools..and like I said, add more depending on your retake scores. Good luck!
No kidding calc wasn’t on the test that wasn’t the point I was going for... but I know myself it isn’t a representation of me. Yes, I do attend UC (not CSU) and I’m barely on my senior year this upcoming semester. I will retake it, bummed out because 3 month wait period crap. :( and im still shadowing so I can get 100Hrs in less than 2 weeks. If I apply right now with my current scores, I can just put there that I plan to take it again in September right?

No kidding calc wasn’t on the test that wasn’t the point I was going for...
Don't need to get snarky and
im still shadowing so I can get 100Hrs in less than 2 weeks.
This doesn't look good, they want commitment, not the most amount of hours in the shortest amount of time possible and
If I apply right now with my current scores, I can just put there that I plan to take it again in September right?
Yes.