This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keoon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Very common question, but I'm trying to get all the help I can get! I'm currently a junior at Pitt planning on applying the upcoming cycle.

Major: Natural Sciences, Minor: Spanish
GPAs: 3.4 oGPA and 3.3 sGPA
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Some important EC:
~250 hrs of dental assisting
Eboard position for dental club on campus since freshman yr, now the VP
Over 200 hrs of volunteering through a free dental clinic and various campus events with my sorority
~60 hours of shadowing 2 general dentists
~85 hrs of research at Pitt's dental school for a semester (planned on continuing but found it hard to balance my new job and other EC activities during the time)

LORs: My strongest will be from the dentist I currently work for and maybe my ochem professor, but I'm a bit nervous about any other ones because I'm having a hard time finding professors who really got to know me.

Some schools I'm interested in (I'm a PA resident):
Pitt, Temple, Upenn, Tufts, Howard, Case Western, Boston, Maryland, NYU

I know my GPA isn't great, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my application as a whole and if I'm applying to the right schools! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd up the shadowing hours and apply to a few more schools. You should do fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Very common question, but I'm trying to get all the help I can get! I'm currently a junior at Pitt planning on applying the upcoming cycle.

Major: Natural Sciences, Minor: Spanish
GPAs: 3.4 oGPA and 3.3 sGPA
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT

Some important EC:
~250 hrs of dental assisting
Eboard position for dental club on campus since freshman yr, now the VP
Over 200 hrs of volunteering through a free dental clinic and various campus events with my sorority
~60 hours of shadowing 2 general dentists
~85 hrs of research at Pitt's dental school for a semester (planned on continuing but found it hard to balance my new job and other EC activities during the time)

LORs: My strongest will be from the dentist I currently work for and maybe my ochem professor, but I'm a bit nervous about any other ones because I'm having a hard time finding professors who really got to know me.

Some schools I'm interested in (I'm a PA resident):
Pitt, Temple, Upenn, Tufts, Howard, Case Western, Boston, Maryland, NYU

I know my GPA isn't great, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my application as a whole and if I'm applying to the right schools! Thanks :)

are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take Howard off then
correct

you should also carefully select a wider range of schools to apply to
and increase your number of shadowing hours (or count the volunteering hours at the free clinic as shadowing)

If your whole personal statement is about how your future practice will be helping minorities attain dental work and how you tried all four years to quell inequality I’d keep the Howard. Otherwise save that bread.