we choose np campaign

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.S

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
A friend of mine sent me in this my inbox.

Infuriating, nurse practitioners suggesting patients should choose NPs vs physicians for their care.

www.wechoosenps.org

This is what we are up against.

Members don't see this ad.

Strangely enough, chiropractors believe that patients should see chiropractors.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Chiropractors don't have the same scope of practice goals as physicians......at least usually.....

Reactions: 1 user
Chropractors do not (at least Ive never seen it) claim complete equivalence to physicians and actively campaign against physicians.

Chropractors do not (at least Ive never seen it) claim complete equivalence to physicians and actively campaign against physicians.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/tu...mary-care-physicians-via-legislative-alchemy/
chiropractic-vs-md-education-2.png

Reactions: 5 users
Chiropractors don't have the same scope of practice goals as physicians......at least usually.....
You must not have any old classmates from high school that went to Chiropractor school. They can cure it all. Diabetes, HTN, infant sickness. Everything.

Reactions: 7 users
You must not have any old classmates from high school that went to Chiropractor school. They can cure it all. Diabetes, HTN, infant sickness. Everything.
I know these people. I am not worried about Chiropractors personally. They don't try to practice the same flavor of medicine as Physicians. They practice pseudoscience and there will always be a market for that, no matter how effective physicians are. NPs tout being better than physicians and practice in the same setting with similar scopes of practice as physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to get up in arms about this whole stupidity. I think that it's absurd and people need to stay in their lanes. I also think that its our own people who are leading to the demise of our field by training our replacements.

But the real threat is from the suits. Administrators constantly making stupid rules to justify their jobs, putting ridiculous documentation burdens on physicians and nurses to keep us occupied with nonsense busywork while filling the chart with even more unnecessary crap from ancillary staff like physical therapists, pharmacists or even priests. Management companies that use their market share to bully insurance companies into giving them higher rates while using their same power to steal compensation from physicians for no real benefit, increasing administrative burden and placing production pressure on physicians. Government officials with their attempts to regulate physician behavior by constantly decreasing reimbursement while increasing the number of onerous demands. Insurance companies asking for more and more useless paperwork while denying more procedures and medications. Pharmaceuticals increasing the number of insanely expensive medications for minimal benefit.

The gentry stay in power by keeping the indentured peasants fighting amongst themselves. Where would they be without us tilling the ventilator farms?

Reactions: 7 users
When is the last time you saw a chiropractor in the ER working someone up for CHF? MI? discharging patients from the hospital?
managing a hospitalist service? taking FP/gp/im jobs?
are you intentially being obtuse?
I provided you with a link that shows evidence of legislative agenda to obtain scopes of practice in line with physicians so they can practice as pcps.
And the second chart was just to show an active campaign against physicians.

I used to get up in arms about this whole stupidity. I think that it's absurd and people need to stay in their lanes. I also think that its our own people who are leading to the demise of our field by training our replacements.

But the real threat is from the suits. Administrators constantly making stupid rules to justify their jobs, putting ridiculous documentation burdens on physicians and nurses to keep us occupied with nonsense busywork while filling the chart with even more unnecessary crap from ancillary staff like physical therapists, pharmacists or even priests. Management companies that use their market share to bully insurance companies into giving them higher rates while using their same power to steal compensation from physicians for no real benefit, increasing administrative burden and placing production pressure on physicians. Government officials with their attempts to regulate physician behavior by constantly decreasing reimbursement while increasing the number of onerous demands. Insurance companies asking for more and more useless paperwork while denying more procedures and medications. Pharmaceuticals increasing the number of insanely expensive medications for minimal benefit.

The gentry stay in power by keeping the indentured peasants fighting amongst themselves. Where would they be without us tilling the ventilator farms?
Solution: private practice w/o MLPs. Solves both problems. Possible? Idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of getting mad and/or complaining, what are you going to do about?
I have already "cut the funding" for every and any organized medicine society. The "ONLY" thing these folks understand is when their wallets are thin. That is the only thing that gets their attention. Forget letters.
Unjoin every society that is asking you for money. This includes the AMA, every specialty society, journals etc. STOP going to meetings. Until they address this issue HEAD ON.
NO more politics.

Cut the funding.

IM not complaining. The NPS arent taking my jobs, i am an Anesthesiologist.

I have already "cut the funding" for every and any organized medicine society. The "ONLY" thing these folks understand is when their wallets are thin. That is the only thing that gets their attention. Forget letters.
Unjoin every society that is asking you for money. This includes the AMA, every specialty society, journals etc. STOP going to meetings. Until they address this issue HEAD ON.
NO more politics.

Cut the funding.

IM not complaining. The NPS arent taking my jobs, i am an Anesthesiologist.
It is somewhat interesting that y'all and I guess OB are the only ones where NPs aren't really a thing (since you both have your own individual advanced nurses specific to the field).

Theoretically in a world where
1.NPs win scope of practice battles in all 50 .
2.Successfully lobby for equal reimbursement from medicare.

What would the healthcare landscape look like?

It is somewhat interesting that y'all and I guess OB are the only ones where NPs aren't really a thing (since you both have your own individual advanced nurses specific to the field).
We have NP's, PA's and midwives.

Theoretically in a world where
1.NPs win scope of practice battles in all 50 .
2.Successfully lobby for equal reimbursement from medicare.

What would the healthcare landscape look like?
I surmise the cost of taking care of shots and sniffles will go down, but when something comes presents, bad outcomes will ensue.

This is your Ace in the Hole right now if you simply look at retrospective data comparing the outcomes of NPs versus doctors in patient care

I surmise the cost of taking care of shots and sniffles will go down, but when something comes presents, bad outcomes will ensue.

This is your Ace in the Hole right now if you simply look at retrospective data comparing the outcomes of NPs versus doctors in patient care
Can't we just train RNs to do these things on the job without the need for a NP degree? It's not like the online schools are really teaching them much anatomy or pharmacology.

Can't we just train RNs to do these things on the job without the need for a NP degree? It's not like the online schools are really teaching them much anatomy or pharmacology.
Excellent question! But outside my scope of medical education. This is the 2nd time in a row you've come up with a challenging interview question too!

Excellent question! But outside my scope of medical education. This is the 2nd time in a row you've come up with a challenging interview question too!
Glad to know my thought processes aren't just the normal NP bashing......that is not my intent.

As far as OB/Gyn: my understanding is that PAs are more common in gyn onc and urogyn where there might be a need for someone to first assist in the OR, and routine outpatient f/u. Midwives and women’s health NPs generally keep us out of OB and general outpatient gyn, I believe.

"With all do respect, I’m a better clinician than a lot of the doctors I work with."

I’ve been an NP for 6 years (and a nurse for 4 years prior) and the new docs with often ask me questions, and sometimes I consult them on things like EKGs. After practicing for a long time, I feel I am a very qualified primary care clinician and I think patients get an equivalent or sometimes better experience with me. It also really depends on the individual clinician. I’m sure there is a lot of variability. A few months ago, I had a meth patient who’s psychiatrist was insistent he have a physical with an MD. I found this very insulting because I have a special interest in mental health and addiction and strongly felt he’d be better off with me vs some of my physician colleagues. In the end, he chose to stick with me and it’s working out well.

This forum is more heavy traffic and caters to the future mainly
The orginal thread was posted here and then moved.

I predict the same for this thread as well. Only a matter of time

Every time I suggest a prospective study I am told it would be unethical and never pass an IRB (which is not true). Every time I suggest that a well designed retrospective study could be very enlightening I get laughed out of the room. Can't have it both ways.

I've never really understood the obsession about NP bashing by the medical students on this forum. On the scale of people pretending to be fake doctors and treating patients Naturopaths are far more extreme than NP's … Comparing the ND & MD Curricula | AANMC … "ND students emerge from their programs as experts in preventative care, primary care, and chronic care." Why aren't medical students losing their minds over these guys?

upload_2019-1-22_11-10-52.png

Every time I suggest a prospective study I am told it would be unethical and never pass an IRB (which is not true). Every time I suggest that a well designed retrospective study could be very enlightening I get laughed out of the room. Can't have it both ways.

I've never really understood the obsession about NP bashing by the medical students on this forum. On the scale of people pretending to be fake doctors and treating patients Naturopaths are far more extreme than NP's … Comparing the ND & MD Curricula | AANMC … "ND students emerge from their programs as experts in preventative care, primary care, and chronic care." Why aren't medical students losing their minds over these guys?

View attachment 248324
They don't try to practice the same flavor of medicine as physicians. Like I've said before, there will always be a market for pseudoscience. Your argument is like the equivalent of "but hillary....... did this so ignore this dumpster fire over here"

There's no NP bashing. I am concerned about independent practice, not supervised practice. I am humbled every day of medical school with the material we learn and don't believe 500 hours of clinical training and an online diploma is enough to know all the things needed to practice medicine

They don't try to practice the same flavor of medicine as physicians. Like I've said before, there will always be a market for pseudoscience. Your argument is like the equivalent of "but hillary....... did this so ignore this dumpster fire over here"

There's no NP bashing. I am concerned about independent practice, not supervised practice. I am humbled every day of medical school with the material we learn and don't believe 500 hours of clinical training and an online diploma is enough to know all the things needed to practice medicine

You're a pretty reasonable guy, and there's no NP bashing in this thread, yet. However, there's tons of just out of control NP bashing on these forums. If I said even half of the stuff about medical students that medical students have said about my profession on these forums my name would have a line through it about 5 minutes later. I get that this is SDN, and its about medical students not NP's, but the TOS seem to only work in one direction here. If this was about patient safety, the ND's are clearly less safe than the NP's, yet are completely ignored, despite having full primary care physician practice authority in California, the largest state in the country.

I’m all for “bashing” NP independent practice.

You're a pretty reasonable guy, and there's no NP bashing in this thread, yet. However, there's tons of just out of control NP bashing on these forums. If I said even half of the stuff about medical students that medical students have said about my profession on these forums my name would have a line through it about 5 minutes later. I get that this is SDN, and its about medical students not NP's, but the TOS seem to only work in one direction here. If this was about patient safety, the ND's are clearly less safe than the NP's, yet are completely ignored, despite having full primary care physician practice authority in California, the largest state in the country.
I agree. There needs to be an acceptance of the NP role in healthcare. I think that role is heavily supervised under an attending physician. We should welcome the profession in helping care for the patients, however, that is not the direction of the profession. There are a lot of egos in your political lobbying groups pushing for independent practice while the quality of grads with no RN experience, online degrees, and 500 hours of shadowing, is only getting worse. That is the frustration. What's the point of medical school if you can make 120k out of NP school with no RN experience and it only takes 2 years and no stress? There's equivalence of outcomes with these practitioners to MD/DOs? If that's actually true, we need to get rid of medical school and residency as it's a huge waste of time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m all for “bashing” NP independent practice.
I agree. There needs to be an acceptance of the NP role in healthcare. I think that role is heavily supervised under an attending physician. We should welcome the profession in helping care for the patients, however, that is not the direction of the profession. There are a lot of egos in your political lobbying groups pushing for independent practice while the quality of grads with no RN experience, online degrees, and 500 hours of shadowing, is only getting worse. That is the frustration. What's the point of medical school if you can make 120k out of NP school with no RN experience and it only takes 2 years and no stress? There's equivalence of outcomes with these practitioners to MD/DOs? If that's actually true, we need to get rid of medical school and residency as it's a huge waste of time and money.

Getting your first NP job is challenging, even if you went to a good school. I know NP's who went to poor quality schools who can't get hired. The market will sort that out. There are posters on here that think NP's shouldn't exist in any form, supervised or not. The NP bashing on these forums is out of control, while people much less safe to practice medicine (ND's) seem to get ignored. It's not about safety.

You think the market is going to care? I think administrators see NPs (those that practice independently) as an easier way to line their pockets and push practices that lead to bad outcomes. I think in the future hospitals may actually prefer NPs over MDs for this reason. Many MDs will leave hospitals for private practice and patients will suffer.

the issue with NDs is different as they do not practice the same flavor of medicine as MDs. If patients want to get healed by essential oils that is their prerogative. If a patient wants evidence based medicine and goes to a legitimate medical institution but don't receive the proper care because their practitioner has 500 hours of clinical training that is a different issue that I think is actually much worse for medicine. It will push more patients to NDs as bad outcomes ensue and MDs get blamed.
Getting your first NP job is challenging, even if you went to a good school. I know NP's who went to poor quality schools who can't get hired. The market will sort that out. There are posters on here that think NP's shouldn't exist in any form, supervised or not. The NP bashing on these forums is out of control, while people much less safe to practice medicine (ND's) seem to get ignored. It's not about safety.

You think the market is going to care? I think administrators see NPs (those that practice independently) as an easier way to line their pockets and push practices that lead to bad outcomes. I think in the future hospitals may actually prefer NPs over MDs for this reason. Many MDs will leave hospitals for private practice and patients will suffer.

As someone who just got his first NP job and saw how many people apply for each position, yes, the market will determine who gets hired. The people who get hired are the people who go to well respected and established brick and mortar schools and have personal relationships with the physicians they work with and will fit into the team. This doom and gloom is nonsense. Physicians are never getting replaced, you guys can and should relax and enjoy your medical education instead of NP bashing on SDN.

As someone who just got his first NP job and saw how many people apply for each position, yes, the market will determine who gets hired. The people who get hired are the people who go to well respected and established brick and mortar schools and have personal relationships with the physicians they work with and will fit into the team. This doom and gloom is nonsense. Physicians are never getting replaced, you guys can and should relax and enjoy your medical education instead of NP bashing on SDN.
You have not addressed the independent practice laws in 25 states where they do not have to have physician oversight, therefore your argument is actually invalid. You don't need to have a personal relationship with physicians to be hired.

You have not addressed the independent practice laws in 25 states where they do not have to have physician oversight, therefore your argument is actually invalid. You don't need to have a personal relationship with physicians to be hired.

Physicians hire people they already know and trust over anyone else. Full stop. Your argument is that physicians are going to get replaced by NP's and you'll be out of a job? Laughable. Relax my dude. You'll make a ton of money, have a lot of respect, and help a lot of people during your career. Physicians will always have a job over NP's. The attendings have told you the doom and gloom the sky is falling is nonsense. Believe them, and enjoy your medical education, instead of bashing people you are soon going to be working closely with.

Physicians hire people they already know and trust over anyone else. Full stop. Your argument is that physicians are going to get replaced by NP's and you'll be out of a job? Laughable. Relax my dude. You'll make a ton of money, have a lot of respect, and help a lot of people during your career. Physicians will always have a job over NP's. The attendings have told you the doom and gloom the sky is falling is nonsense. Believe them, and enjoy your medical education, instead of bashing people you are soon going to be working closely with.
That doesn't stop NPs from opening their own practices. I do not have doom and gloom. I believe I will have a job, and help patients. That's why I am still doing this. I just don't think it will be easy to find a job where I don't have to "supervise" which means signing off on 4 NP/PA charts without seeing the patients and taking on an insane amount of liability. Did I say I wouldn't have a job? Or that the sky is falling? no. I am saying that the current paradigm of the NP lobby to push independent practice is not good. What do you think of independent NP practice?

That doesn't stop NPs from opening their own practices. I do not have doom and gloom. I believe I will have a job, and help patients. That's why I am still doing this. I just don't think it will be easy to find a job where I don't have to "supervise" which means signing off on 4 NP/PA charts without seeing the patients and taking on an insane amount of liability. Did I say I wouldn't have a job? Or that the sky is falling? no. I am saying that the current paradigm of the NP lobby to push independent practice is not good. What do you think of independent NP practice?
This is very region dependent. I don't know anyone who signs off on that many unless they own the practice in which case its entirely their choice.

Everyone else at most has 2 midlevels and even that is unusual, its almost entirely 1 midlevel that each physician is responsible - and even that is usually just specialists. Most primary care has 1 NP per practice which means 1 per 2-5 physicians.

I'm very confused. You stated in your first post that NP's can and should have a role in healthcare and be heavily supervised. In the second post you seem to be complaining that you'll have to heavily supervise NP's. Which is true? Then your final point is about NP independent practice, which is not something I agree with, or even really what we are talking about, as I am talking about people stating on these forums that NP's shouldn't exist at all. Which opinion do you have? Please clarify?

This is NOT about NicMouse64 having a prosperous career. This is about "patient safety" and the lay people who are administrators could give a rats arse about patient safety. They say they do insofar as the dollar bills keep pouring in. When the dollar bills stop pouring in, NONE of them will be around to see the aftermath of this experiment.

This is NOT about NicMouse64 having a prosperous career. This is about "patient safety" and the lay people who are administrators could give a rats arse about patient safety. They say they do insofar as the dollar bills keep pouring in. When the dollar bills stop pouring in, NONE of them will be around to see the aftermath of this experiment.

This is not about patient safety. Its about money. Specifically, medical students thinking they might lose a dollar here or there if someone see's an NP. Just be honest about it at least. Actually, NP's increase physician salaries far more than they harm them. It will be ok, guys. :)

This is not about patient safety. Its about money. Specifically, medical students thinking they might lose a dollar here or there if someone see's an NP. Just be honest about it at least. Actually, NP's increase physician salaries far more than they harm them. It will be ok, guys. :)
I'm very confused. You stated in your first post that NP's can and should have a role in healthcare and be heavily supervised. In the second post you seem to be complaining that you'll have to heavily supervise NP's. Which is true? Then your final point is about NP independent practice, which is not something I agree with, or even really what we are talking about, as I am talking about people stating on these forums that NP's shouldn't exist at all. Which opinion do you have? Please clarify?
I think it's only possible to heavily supervise 1 MAYBE 2 PA/NPs and see your own patients without sacrificing quality of care. I don't know. Obviously I am just a medical student, but that is how I perceive it. I don't want to supervise 4NP/PAs because I don't think it will be quality care for patients. I am not complaining, and am not sure why you are now attacking me. Independent practice is the topic, as 25 states now have laws on the books saying physician oversight is not required.

This is very region dependent. I don't know anyone who signs off on that many unless they own the practice in which case its entirely their choice.

Everyone else at most has 2 midlevels and even that is unusual, its almost entirely 1 midlevel that each physician is responsible - and even that is usually just specialists. Most primary care has 1 NP per practice which means 1 per 2-5 physicians.
1 per 2-5 physicians seems quite reasonable, and I think that is where their role is best fit. Do follow-ups on patients who aren't complex and may just need a DM/HTN medicine refill and have no complications from these meds.

I think it's only possible to heavily supervise 1 MAYBE 2 PA/NPs and see your own patients without sacrificing quality of care. I don't know. Obviously I am just a medical student, but that is how I perceive it. I don't want to supervise 4NP/PAs because I don't think it will be quality care for patients. I am not complaining, and am not sure why you are now attacking me. Independent practice is the topic, as 25 states now have laws on the books saying physician oversight is not required.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just admittedly get defensive kind of quickly on these forums as a result of some of the insults usually thrown at NP's (not by you). Everywhere I have seen it is physician outnumbering NP's at least 3 to 1. The physicians who run mid level mills and oversee an army of midlevels to make as much money as possible are doing this by choice, and are part of the problem. Only fellow physicians can reign those people in.

I'm not trying to attack you, I just admittedly get defensive kind of quickly on these forums as a result of some of the insults usually thrown at NP's (not by you). Everywhere I have seen it is physician outnumbering NP's at least 3 to 1. The physicians who run mid level mills and oversee an army of midlevels to make as much money as possible are doing this by choice, and are part of the problem. Only fellow physicians can reign those people in.
Yeah that is how it should be. I agree it is a problem in our profession too. Those physicians running mid-level mills. I'm not blaming the NPs, I am ignorant to what the job market looks like, but I know that I don't want to be in a position of having to "supervise" 4 Nps. I want to have my own patients and have a NP/PA help me with non-complex patient followup.