WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predental536642

Reaction score
Date of submission: 8/14
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score:

DAT (first attempt):
PAT: 18 QR: 21 RC: 23 Bio: 15 GC: 17 OC: 17 TS: 16 AA: 19

DAT (second attempt - taken 7/31)
PAT: 19
QR: 19
RC: 20
Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC: 20
TS: 20
AA: 20
State of Residence: Minnesota

Undergrad Attended: University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Major: Biology, Society and Environment (this is all one major within the liberal arts college)
Minor: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 240 hours - 3 general dentists
Volunteering Experience: About 150 volunteer hours. Most of the volunteer hours were from free/reduced cost dental clinics. Also did Big Brothers Big Sisters, Second Harvest Heartland, and the Ronald McDonald house.
Employment: Worked 30 hours/week last summer at Texas Roadhouse but didn't work during the school year. Had another job at a clothing store for a few weeks before COVID hit but was let go due to COVID (only worked there about 3 weeks and one day a week before COVID).
Research: About 50 hours of research, it was on attitudes and intentions towards seeking mental health services by rural youth and their parents. I drove to county fairs in rural counties around Minnesota and recruited participants to take our surveys. Then I helped with data analysis, and I wrote my honors thesis on the research. No publications or presentations.
Other Extracurriculars: Was vice-president of the Biology, Society and Environment club for one year, public relations officer of the pre-dental club for two years, and a member of a few other clubs, did intramural badminton.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, I attended the Give Kids a Smile volunteer event at the University of Minnesota dental school where I was a chart runner, so I would bring charts from radiology up to the clinic. I also attended the Wax and Relax event they held where pre-dental students got to wax a tooth with the help of dental students.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graduated with latin honors - cum laude
LOR type and strength: 4 letters, two from science professors (evolution and physiology) and one from a general dentist and one from a dental office manager. I think at least two of them should be strong (one professor and the general dentist), but not sure about the other two.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
None
School list:
University of Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa, Colorado, and Marquette.

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 8/14
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.42
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.4
DAT score:
DAT (first attempt):
PAT: 18 QR: 21 RC: 23 Bio: 15 GC: 17 OC: 17 TS: 16 AA: 19

DAT (second attempt - taken 7/31)
PAT: 19
QR: 19
RC: 20
Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC: 20
TS: 20
AA: 20
State of Residence: Minnesota

Undergrad Attended: University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Major: Biology, Society and Environment (this is all one major within the liberal arts college)
Minor: Psychology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 240 hours - 3 general dentists
Volunteering Experience: About 150 volunteer hours. Most of the volunteer hours were from free/reduced cost dental clinics. Also did Big Brothers Big Sisters, Second Harvest Heartland, and the Ronald McDonald house.
Employment: Worked 30 hours/week last summer at Texas Roadhouse but didn't work during the school year. Had another job at a clothing store for a few weeks before COVID hit but was let go due to COVID (only worked there about 3 weeks and one day a week before COVID).
Research: About 50 hours of research, it was on attitudes and intentions towards seeking mental health services by rural youth and their parents. I drove to county fairs in rural counties around Minnesota and recruited participants to take our surveys. Then I helped with data analysis, and I wrote my honors thesis on the research. No publications or presentations.
Other Extracurriculars: Was vice-president of the Biology, Society and Environment club for one year, public relations officer of the pre-dental club for two years, and a member of a few other clubs, did intramural badminton.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, I attended the Give Kids a Smile volunteer event at the University of Minnesota dental school where I was a chart runner, so I would bring charts from radiology up to the clinic. I also attended the Wax and Relax event they held where pre-dental students got to wax a tooth with the help of dental students.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Graduated with latin honors - cum laude
LOR type and strength: 4 letters, two from science professors (evolution and physiology) and one from a general dentist and one from a dental office manager. I think at least two of them should be strong (one professor and the general dentist), but not sure about the other two.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None
School list: University of Minnesota, Creighton, Iowa, Colorado, and Marquette.

I appreciate any help!
how come so few schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Because those are the only schools I could see myself attending. I would rather reapply next cycle than get into a different school that I am unsure about.

ok
does your gpa have an upward trend?

ok
does your gpa have an upward trend?
It was good freshmen and sophomore year, lowest junior year (mainly due to organic chemistry), and then the last semester of senior year I got a 4.0 and took a lot of credits that semester. So sort of up, down, then ended up.

It was good freshmen and sophomore year, lowest junior year (mainly due to organic chemistry), and then the last semester of senior year I got a 4.0 and took a lot of credits that semester. So sort of up, down, then ended up.
well, your sgpa and bcpgpa and dat scores are below the matriculant average, and your ogpa is just above it
i would still recommend adding more schools, but you seem to disagree
not saying you won't be successful, it's just that i don't feel comfortable with a person's chance of acceptance until they have 4 or so interview invites...

Reactions: 1 user