WAMC with tears

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intpreden

Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/30
Overall GPA: 3.567
Science GPA: Not sure but between 3.0~3.5
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Not sure but between 3.0~3.5
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
19 AA, 16 TS, 21 PAT, 14 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 21 RC, 25 QR
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: Graduated from University
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 225 (experienced every part including major surgeries)
Volunteering Experience: 304 (includes volunteering in dental hospital for disabled + currently stilling doing it)
Employment: Currently working in a cell lab Inc.
Research: 270 animal behavior and neuroscience (No publish, but professor told it might be published on end of summer)
Other Extracurriculars: University club vice-president
Relevant Honors or Awards: I have patents but not related to dentistry.
LOR type and strength: Dentist LOR - Chief of dental department
Science professor - I took his class and worked as a preceptor for about a year
Scince professor - Research professor + I took his class
CEO of the lab Inc.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I took organic chemistry courses again and made A by grade replacement opportunity.
I know my DAt score is a red flag, but I can't take more DAT right now..(it's also my second score)
School list:
AT still Arizona
Georgia
USC
Marquette
NYU
Roseman Utah
Temple
Touro
Tufts
Maryland
Nebraska
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Western U

I am really worried as this is reapplication and also an international student...
I tried to apply to international friendly dental schools and really want to go to dental school as it is my beloved dream.
Any kind of advice will be appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly think your DAT is what’s going to hurt your application the most. A 19AA we could work with, but a 16 TS is a huge red flag when you’re gonna be having to learn sciences at a much higher level

Especially being an international applicant you’re fighting for far less seats, compounded with being a reapplicant you’re facing a steep slope. This is my brutally honest opinion.

Additional schools to look into: Boston, LECOM, Nova, UDM, MW-IL and AZ, Creighton, OHSU

Schools that don’t fit your app (aren’t the most International friendly in my opinion): Nebraska, Georgia, and maybe WV depending on where you’re residing in the US. I’m assuming east coast?

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly think your DAT is what’s going to hurt your application the most. A 19AA we could work with, but a 16 TS is a huge red flag when you’re gonna be having to learn sciences at a much higher level

Especially being an international applicant you’re fighting for far less seats, compounded with being a reapplicant you’re facing a steep slope. This is my brutally honest opinion.

Additional schools to look into: Boston, LECOM, Nova, UDM, MW-IL and AZ, Creighton, OHSU

Schools that don’t fit your app (aren’t the most International friendly in my opinion): Nebraska, Georgia, and maybe WV depending on where you’re residing in the US. I’m assuming east coast?
As I graduated, I came back to my country as my I-20 has expired...

I tried applying to some other schools that are known as international friendly, but most of them require microbiology course as prerequisite which I did not took..

And yes I was residing in the east coast when I was undergraduate student.

If were to be completely honest, would there be no chance of being accepted?

I thought having a patent would make my app really unique.....

Members don't see this ad :)
As I graduated, I came back to my country as my I-20 has expired...

I tried applying to some other schools that are known as international friendly, but most of them require microbiology course as prerequisite which I did not took..

And yes I was residing in the east coast when I was undergraduate student.

If were to be completely honest, would there be no chance of being accepted?

I thought having a patent would make my app really unique.....
I think there could be slim chances solely because of the 16 TS score, which is super low. While having a patent is certainly unique, it doesn't indicate to schools how you'd do academically in their programs. Having that 16 tells schools you might not be ready to handle the large and difficult courseload that comes with being a professional student.

To put it into perspective, a 19AA is 1.5 points below the national average of all matriculants. A 16TS is below the 5th percentile of all 6,000 applicants admitted (average being a 20.5 TS). So we could assume 5% of 6,000 is 300 students that had a TS score of less than 17 (which is the 5th percentile), then for international students that's probably another 10-15% of that number, so 30-45 international students, maybe, got accepted into dental school. And most likely a very expensive one. And again, you are an international student where you might be competing for 2-5 seats in a class (excluding very international-friendly schools) whereas US students are competing for much more. So you're standards have to be higher than others to compete for those seats. You're also a reapplicant which also means you're going to be held again to higher standards and schools will want to know what you did this time around compared to last cycle to make yourself more competitive, A higher DAT score would be sufficient to help. So it, to me, just seems like a steep slope you have to climb with that score. A higher DAT score will open the door to a lot more opportunities as well as possibly getting into a cheaper school.

The other concern is that it will most likely be a super expensive school, and because you're an international student you can't take gov loans or sign on private loans without a US-backed co-signer (these interest rates are much higher unless the co-signer has good credit). So have you had plans on figuring out how you plan on paying for school?

I think there could be slim chances solely because of the 16 TS score, which is super low. While having a patent is certainly unique, it doesn't indicate to schools how you'd do academically in their programs. Having that 16 tells schools you might not be ready to handle the large and difficult courseload that comes with being a professional student.

To put it into perspective, a 19AA is 1.5 points below the national average of all matriculants. A 16TS is below the 5th percentile of all 6,000 applicants admitted (average being a 20.5 TS). So we could assume 5% of 6,000 is 300 students that had a TS score of less than 17 (which is the 5th percentile), then for international students that's probably another 10-15% of that number, so 30-45 international students, maybe, got accepted into dental school. And most likely a very expensive one. And again, you are an international student where you might be competing for 2-5 seats in a class (excluding very international-friendly schools) whereas US students are competing for much more. So you're standards have to be higher than others to compete for those seats. You're also a reapplicant which also means you're going to be held again to higher standards and schools will want to know what you did this time around compared to last cycle to make yourself more competitive, A higher DAT score would be sufficient to help. So it, to me, just seems like a steep slope you have to climb with that score. A higher DAT score will open the door to a lot more opportunities as well as possibly getting into a cheaper school.

The other concern is that it will most likely be a super expensive school, and because you're an international student you can't take gov loans or sign on private loans without a US-backed co-signer (these interest rates are much higher unless the co-signer has good credit). So have you had plans on figuring out how you plan on paying for school?
I will be able to afford for those 'super expensive school', such as NYU or USC. I also have someone who would be my co-signer just in case(+has great credit). So, my only concern was whether I can get in in any dental school. At least based on what you said, the chances might be close to zero, but not actually zero. I might have to pray and keep my fingers crossed....
I really hate myself that I always get so nervous when I take big exams such as DAT, although admission does not care about it. :(
Still, thank you so much for your honest advice, I really needed it and appreciate it :)

I will be able to afford for those 'super expensive school', such as NYU or USC. I also have someone who would be my co-signer just in case(+has great credit). So, my only concern was whether I can get in in any dental school. At least based on what you said, the chances might be close to zero, but not actually zero. I might have to pray and keep my fingers crossed....
I really hate myself that I always get so nervous when I take big exams such as DAT, although admission does not care about it. :(
Still, thank you so much for your honest advice, I really needed it and appreciate it :)
As long as you understand that then I’m rooting for you!

Should this cycle not work out, a 2nd dat retake will have to be done to really give yourself a chance. Good luck and stay strong!

As long as you understand that then I’m rooting for you!

Should this cycle not work out, a 2nd dat retake will have to be done to really give yourself a chance. Good luck and stay strong!
The score is actually my 2nd dat score....But thank you so much!

Science GPA: Not sure but between 3.0~3.5
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: Not sure but between 3.0~3.5
You need to calculate it. It's possible that verifiers can make calculation mistakes or misapply a category to a class from science to non-science. You need to balance your own checkbook and not completely rely on the bank. (Not that I do it that well myself.) The answer to these GPA can make a HUGE difference. As a reapplicant, you should already know this answer because it was calculated for you in the last application.

Suffice to assume: graduated from a US university with a bachelor's degree and currently on a visa? How did you shadow or find work?

If you are a reapplicant, maybe I missed where you said you got interviews/decisions? Did you get any interviews? Guessing no.

If you took another DAT, you must let us know what those scores are. (Prevent the confusion from earlier in this thread.)

How much networking have you done? Have you found dental students with a similar background as your own who are attending the schools that are on your list? Seriously, if you can find people very similar to you, they can give you a lot of insights to how you can help yourself.

I'm sorry you get so nervous taking the DAT. If you get similarly nervous working on a cavity in my teeth, I would get more nervous than you. There's a reason we don't offer that much sympathy... we're protecting patients.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You need to calculate it. It's possible that verifiers can make calculation mistakes or misapply a category to a class from science to non-science. You need to balance your own checkbook and not completely rely on the bank. (Not that I do it that well myself.) The answer to these GPA can make a HUGE difference. As a reapplicant, you should already know this answer because it was calculated for you in the last application.

Suffice to assume: graduated from a US university with a bachelor's degree and currently on a visa? How did you shadow or find work?

If you are a reapplicant, maybe I missed where you said you got interviews/decisions? Did you get any interviews? Guessing no.

If you took another DAT, you must let us know what those scores are. (Prevent the confusion from earlier in this thread.)

How much networking have you done? Have you found dental students with a similar background as your own who are attending the schools that are on your list? Seriously, if you can find people very similar to you, they can give you a lot of insights to how you can help yourself.

I'm sorry you get so nervous taking the DAT. If you get similarly nervous working on a cavity in my teeth, I would get more nervous than you. There's a reason we don't offer that much sympathy... we're protecting patients.
I couldn't actually find shadowing opportunity is US even though I called and visited in-person to every dentist in my area. Everyone said they cannot give shadowing opportunity due to COVID-19 policy unless I am a dental student. But I managed to find a shadowing place in my country.
My I-20 has expired due to graduation, but the still the expire date for my F-1 visa has not been passed yet.

Last time I took the DAT, I got 17AA 15TS 18PAT

For the networking, people around me who got in to dental school all had residency....Also, most my international pre-dental friends failed to get accepted and gave up going to dental school currently trying to get a job by OPT.

One of my international friend got accepted with better DAT score, lower GPA, and lower experiences. When I talked with him, he just said he was lucky and he might have been accepted because his older sister(who has residency) has graduated from that dental school. I don't know if he's just speaking vaguely or if he really mean that.

Also, this nervous unfortunately only happens during written or computer exams. When it comes to practical application, I don't get nervous. During a lab class, the final evaluation was to perform a experiment alone, but I didn't feel nervous at that time.

I also have an intention to pursue a dental research-oriented path through my experience of creating a patent.

Thank you for your heartfelt advice. I am really appreciating it.