WAMC - TEXAS FIRST TIME APPLICANT!! HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Date of submission: 6/17/2023 for TMDSAS 7/14/2023 for AADSAS

Overall GPA: 3.72

Science GPA: 3.53

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.41

DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 18 QR:19 RC: 22 BIO: 18 GC: 18 OC: 18 TS: 18 AA: 19

State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: Texas Tech University

Major: Microbiology

Minor: Psychology and Chemistry

Minority? No

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No – I am taking a gap year where I plan to get to dental assistant license and work

Shadowing Experience: 394 between two general dentist

Volunteering Experience: Big Brother Big Sister: 213 CASA: 82

Employment: Chief Medical Scribe: 4884

Research: SHARC LAB: 253 hours with a presentation / BESTT Lab: 320 with a presentation and will soon have a publication

Other Extracurriculars: Leadership: FYE mentor – 168 hrs. Stem and Leaf Corps – 245 hrs. HPI Medical Student Tutoring – 12 hours

Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidential List, Outstanding Researcher award, Outstand LEDA Partner, Phi Beta Kappa

LOR type and strength: I got a committee packet. For TMDSAS I have great manual dexterity. Additionally, I feel like I have a pretty solid personal statement. and I will be working as a dental assistant during my gap year.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got a C in ochem 2 and have a few withdrawals.

School list:

Texas:

TTUHSC El Paso

Texas A&M

UTSD Houston

UTSD San Antonio

Others:

A.t Still Arizona

Creighton

LECO

Meharry

Midwestern Arizona

Oregon Health

Rutgers

Maurice Temple

Touro

Tufts

Buffalo

Maryland SOD

Nevada

UPenn

Virginia Commonwealth

Tennessee HSC

Members don't see this ad.

DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 18 QR:19 RC: 22 BIO: 18 GC: 18 OC: 18 TS: 18 AA: 19

Minority? No

Reapplicant? No

Nontrad? No – I am taking a gap year where I plan to get to dental assistant license and work

Research: SHARC LAB: 253 hours with a presentation / BESTT Lab: 320 with a presentation and will soon have a publication

Other Extracurriculars: Leadership: FYE mentor – 168 hrs. Stem and Leaf Corps – 245 hrs. HPI Medical Student Tutoring – 12 hours

Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidential List, Outstanding Researcher award, Outstand LEDA Partner, Phi Beta Kappa

LOR type and strength: I got a committee packet. For TMDSAS I have great manual dexterity. Additionally, I feel like I have a pretty solid personal statement. and I will be working as a dental assistant during my gap year.

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I got a C in ochem 2 and have a few withdrawals.

School list:

Texas:

TTUHSC El Paso

Texas A&M

UTSD Houston

UTSD San Antonio

Others:

A.t Still Arizona

Creighton

LECO

Meharry

Midwestern Arizona

Oregon Health

Rutgers

Maurice Temple

Touro

Tufts

Buffalo

Maryland SOD

Nevada

UPenn

Virginia Commonwealth

Tennessee HSC
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

Minority? No

Reapplicant? No

School list:

Texas:

TTUHSC El Paso

Texas A&M

UTSD Houston

UTSD San Antonio

Others:

A.t Still Arizona

Creighton

LECO

Meharry

Midwestern Arizona

Oregon Health

Rutgers

Maurice Temple

Touro

Tufts

Buffalo

Maryland SOD

Nevada

UPenn

Virginia Commonwealth

Tennessee HSC
how did you come up with this list?

Members don't see this ad :)
A big misconception is just bc a school is OOS friendly doesn’t mean they accept students from states that aren’t super close to them. Being a texas resident puts you at a slight disadvantage as TX schools accept majority (90%) of their in state students. You also have 4 schools, some states have none or one. So it would help to look and see if your schools you’ve applied to accept students from Texas. Your best bet would be schools in central and southern US and maybe east coast. Unsure about west coast

Reactions: 1 users
I looked at the stats they had along with whether or not they took out of state applications
your list is way too long for your stats, and you have extremely low chances at a HBCU
your only reach is upenn, so that's ok, and your research will count there a little
the main problem is that your DAT scores are on the low end for texas schools, because they are extremely competitive due to their low COE

that said, since you applied to a really wide list, i would hope that you get at least a few interviews
then it will be up to you to perform on them...

Reactions: 1 user
your list is way too long for your stats, and you have extremely low chances at a HBCU
your only reach is upenn, so that's ok, and your research will count there a little
the main problem is that your DAT scores are on the low end for texas schools, because they are extremely competitive due to their low COE

that said, since you applied to a really wide list, i would hope that you get at least a few interviews
then it will be up to you to perform on them...
would you advise retaking dat?

I don't have your AADSAS but your activities description and promissory statements on replies suggest that you could be okay as an applicant this year, but you could really use dedicated focus working in a dental clinic throughout this year. You said you were doing this, but I think you would be a stronger applicant for next year. Also admissions folks won't be as accessible to you if you are an applicant. You should be doing these tours before you submit an application and network with students so you get a better idea of what is important to their culture and mission.

Being a Texas resident will help you in-state, but you have to think about your out-of-state options (which aren't going to be that many unless they are privates). As we point out, some of the publics on your list make little sense. Remove: OHSU, UBuffalo, Maryland, Tennessee. I have my doubts with Creighton, though I suppose if you are in Lubbock...