WAMC Non Trad (Previous Med School Applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eziam zirash

Reaction score
Date of submission: Beginning of June
Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.5
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
20 AA, 20 TS, 20 PAT, 17 QR, 25 RC, 20 Bio, 19 Gen Chem, 20 Orgo
State of Residence: Florida

Major: Health Sciences
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience:
270 total hours, 200 with general dentists, 70 with orthodontists
Volunteering Experience: 320 total hours. Blood pressure screenings in homeless communities (120 hours), Free dental clinic dental assistant (200 hours)
Employment: Assistant teacher/Substitute (February 2024-present)
Research: (360 hours) Honors Undergraduate Thesis published
Other Extracurriculars: Sewing Business (1400 hours)
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's Honor roll, Distinction, Honors, Cum Laude.
LOR type and strength: 4 letters from professors (2 Science, 1 non-science, 1general dentist)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Previous med-school applicant (never accepted/withdrew application before I got a response after shadowing a dentist)
School list:
  1. Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
  2. Midwestern University (Arizona campus)
  3. Midwestern University (Chicago campus)
  4. University of Southern California School of Dentistry
  5. Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
  6. Creighton University School of Dentistry
  7. Howard University College of Dentistry
  8. University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
  9. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
  10. Roseman University of Health Sciences

My story:
Since I graduated high-school, I knew I wanted to work in a health related field for the opportunities it would provide to help people physically and mentally, the ability to work in a field that applied hand work (working manually and using your hands in surgical related work), and the stability the job position would provide. After starting my freshman year of college, COVID came and practically ruined all my chances when it came to shadowing both Medical and Dental fields. I reached out to all of the dental clinics around me in 2020, 2021 and again in 2022 when COVID started cooling down but no clinic was willing to take in students for shadowing purposes due to health liabilities. I was able to shadow virtually (online) both fields and honestly speaking, I found dentistry boring when compared to to the different medical surgical specialties. I kind of knew what to expect when it came to working as a medical physician but didnt really know whether I would enjoy the everyday job of a dentist. With my junior year coming to an end, I felt the pressure to just choose one and go with it and figure things out along the way. I ended up applying to medical school and got accepted. At this time, I was still unsure on how to proceed and I decided on reaching out to dental clinics out of my state with the hopes of being offfered a shadowing postion to finalize my choice and not regret commiting myself to a life long career I would later on hate waking up to. I was able to shadow a general dentist as well as an orthodontist and I started to like the dental more and more as I spent time shadowing while getting to know the dentists everyday work schedule, time-off, and dental mission trips opportunities that these dentist took part in annually helping hundreds of patients in thrid world countries. I ended up deffereing the acceptances from medical school as I saw that the dental field contained the manual work in every specialty (including general dentistry), had the stablility I was looking for job wise, balanced life style, and opprotunites to do charity work in many different aspects of the dental field. I continued shadowing and was able to land a Dental Assisting position at a free dental clinic that helps and treats the underserved community in my city. While I do regret being undecisive with my career choices (mind you I was 16 when I started College and overwhelmed by the choices available to choose from), I now know that the dental field is what I want to pursue after I was able to see its different aspects. COVID really took a toll on me when it came to shadowing opportunities and I wish I was able to shadow both fields prior to making any decision. I took the DAT and got a 20AA (20TC) and have both shadowing and dental assisting hours as well as volunteering and an undergraduate research thesis. I read online that schools tend to look down on previous health related school applicants but I also heard of many students that were in a similar situation as me and were able to get accepted into dental school. I am unsure of how to include this part my dental school journey in my personal statement and would really appreciate any advice from dental students that are/were in a situation like this or know how to proceed. Thank you so much for your time!
A piece of advice to anyone who is unsure of ANY career/field to pursue (health related or not), MAKE SURE TO SHADOW ALL FIELDS OF INTEREST to get a sense of what you will be doing for the rest of your life.

ALL OF YOUR ADVICE IS VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!! :)))))

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Science GPA: 3.2

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience: 320 total hours. Blood pressure screenings in homeless communities (120 hours), Free dental clinic dental assistant (200 hours)
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's Honor roll, Distinction, Honors, Cum Laude.
LOR type and strength: 4 letters from professors (2 Science, 1 non-science, 1general dentist)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Previous med-school applicant (never accepted/withdrew application before I got a response after shadowing a dentist)
School list:

My story:
Since I graduated high-school, I knew I wanted to work in a health related field for the opportunities it would provide to help people physically and mentally, the ability to work in a field that applied hand work (working manually and using your hands in surgical related work), and the stability the job position would provide. After starting my freshman year of college, COVID came and practically ruined all my chances when it came to shadowing both Medical and Dental fields. I reached out to all of the dental clinics around me in 2020, 2021 and again in 2022 when COVID started cooling down but no clinic was willing to take in students for shadowing purposes due to health liabilities. I was able to shadow virtually (online) both fields and honestly speaking, I found dentistry boring when compared to to the different medical surgical specialties. I kind of knew what to expect when it came to working as a medical physician but didnt really know whether I would enjoy the everyday job of a dentist. With my junior year coming to an end, I felt the pressure to just choose one and go with it and figure things out along the way. I ended up applying to medical school and got accepted. At this time, I was still unsure on how to proceed and I decided on reaching out to dental clinics out of my state with the hopes of being offfered a shadowing postion to finalize my choice and not regret commiting myself to a life long career I would later on hate waking up to. I was able to shadow a general dentist as well as an orthodontist and I started to like the dental more and more as I spent time shadowing while getting to know the dentists everyday work schedule, time-off, and dental mission trips opportunities that these dentist took part in annually helping hundreds of patients in thrid world countries. I ended up deffereing the acceptances from medical school as I saw that the dental field contained the manual work in every specialty (including general dentistry), had the stablility I was looking for job wise, balanced life style, and opprotunites to do charity work in many different aspects of the dental field. I continued shadowing and was able to land a Dental Assisting position at a free dental clinic that helps and treats the underserved community in my city. While I do regret being undecisive with my career choices (mind you I was 16 when I started College and overwhelmed by the choices available to choose from), I now know that the dental field is what I want to pursue after I was able to see its different aspects. COVID really took a toll on me when it came to shadowing opportunities and I wish I was able to shadow both fields prior to making any decision. I took the DAT and got a 20AA (20TC) and have both shadowing and dental assisting hours as well as volunteering and an undergraduate research thesis. I read online that schools tend to look down on previous health related school applicants but I also heard of many students that were in a similar situation as me and were able to get accepted into dental school. I am unsure of how to include this part my dental school journey in my personal statement and would really appreciate any advice from dental students that are/were in a situation like this or know how to proceed. Thank you so much for your time!
A piece of advice to anyone who is unsure of ANY career/field to pursue (health related or not), MAKE SURE TO SHADOW ALL FIELDS OF INTEREST to get a sense of what you will be doing for the rest of your life.

how did you come up with this school list?

Science GPA: 3.2

Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience:
School list:

My story:

"Previous med-school applicant (never accepted/withdrew application before I got a response"
"I ended up applying to medical school and got accepted."
which is it? both cannot be true at the same time...

Members don't see this ad :)
You got accepted to medical school, but I presume you never went through orientation (deferred, you said)? How long ago was this application attempt?

Your list... Have you attended any dental school recruitment events? You only list ONE Florida program on your list. (Add UF, NovaSE.) Howard makes no sense since you aren't obviously from a historically disenfranchised community, including Black. You have mostly private schools on your list... have you checked out their TUITION rates? How do you intend to pay for your education?

Also you come in with a sGPA of 3.2, and yet you turned DOWN a medical school offer? It's not impossible for dental school applications, but it doesn't show science rigor to do well in the 3-year curricula at Roseman or Pacific.

To your question, dental school faculty do not like to take students who consider dentistry as a "back up option." You might be asked on AADSAS if you ever matriculated at another health professional program... you haven't, but confirm the wording of such questions that they aren't asking about acceptances. We won't have as many intense secondary application essays compared to medical school. Just be prepared and show your full commitment to stay in dentistry throughout your education.

Reactions: 1 user
"Previous med-school applicant (never accepted/withdrew application before I got a response"
"I ended up applying to medical school and got accepted."
which is it? both cannot be true at the same time...
Thanks for the feedback! I got into 1 school but withdrew my application after shadowing a dentist. I came up with this list by looking at DAT averages and for the fact that private schools are more open to out of state students. I personally want to leave Florida and would like the opportunity to explore other states.

You got accepted to medical school, but I presume you never went through orientation (deferred, you said)? How long ago was this application attempt?

Your list... Have you attended any dental school recruitment events? You only list ONE Florida program on your list. (Add UF, NovaSE.) Howard makes no sense since you aren't obviously from a historically disenfranchised community, including Black. You have mostly private schools on your list... have you checked out their TUITION rates? How do you intend to pay for your education?

Also you come in with a sGPA of 3.2, and yet you turned DOWN a medical school offer? It's not impossible for dental school applications, but it doesn't show science rigor to do well in the 3-year curricula at Roseman or Pacific.

To your question, dental school faculty do not like to take students who consider dentistry as a "back up option." You might be asked on AADSAS if you ever matriculated at another health professional program... you haven't, but confirm the wording of such questions that they aren't asking about acceptances. We won't have as many intense secondary application essays compared to medical school. Just be prepared and show your full commitment to stay in dentistry throughout your education.
Hey! Thank you so much for the meaningful advice. Sorry for the confusion. I got into 1 med school but and withdrew my application for the remaining schools after I shadowed a dentist. I never actually accepted the schools offer or attended orientation or anything like that. I have no worries regarding tuition which is why I picked private schools. I do have a quick question. So matriculation refers to getting accepted to a school or actually starting school? Thank you so much once again for your feedback!

Hey! Thank you so much for the meaningful advice. Sorry for the confusion. I got into 1 med school but and withdrew my application for the remaining schools after I shadowed a dentist. I never actually accepted the schools offer or attended orientation or anything like that. I have no worries regarding tuition which is why I picked private schools. I do have a quick question. So matriculation refers to getting accepted to a school or actually starting school? Thank you so much once again for your feedback!
matriculate means to start school
you were accepted though...

I just re-calculated my sGPA and it is roughly 3.58. I had forgotten anatomy and physiology. I have only 1 C and 3 B's my entire time in undergrad.

Thanks for the feedback! I got into 1 school but withdrew my application after shadowing a dentist. I came up with this list by looking at DAT averages and for the fact that private schools are more open to out of state students. I personally want to leave Florida and would like the opportunity to explore other states.
you need to have mission fit to get interviews and acceptances
"DAT averages" and "out of state private" are not mission fit
howard is an HBCU...

I just re-calculated my sGPA and it is roughly 3.58. I had forgotten anatomy and physiology. I have only 1 C and 3 B's my entire time in undergrad.
oh ok, 3.58 is much better
i was going to say to defs take off uop with a 3.2 sgpa and 20ts
it's still a reach, but before it was a no go...

you need to have mission fit to get interviews and acceptances
"DAT averages" and "out of state private" are not mission fit
howard is an HBCU...
I really appreciate the feedback! I really do only see my previous med school application as the major red flag that I have. I have read that many people have been accepted with a similar situation but I really don't know how to move forward. Should I mention how and why I switched on my personal statement? I don't want to make my whole personal statement about my med school application but at the same time, I really want to get the message across to admission committees that the shadowing experience that I had truly impacted me and had me switch career paths. Volunteering for the entire year at a free dental clinic also really sealed the deal for me and verified to me that dentistry is where I see myself.

Okay, the additional detail is important.

I have had plenty of applicants who started pre-med who switched to pre-dental. What you are missing is an idea how dental schools train students, which is why I ask whether you have attended any recruitment sessions at schools on your list. Because you are trying to apply as an OOS student, it's important you do this and start figuring out what amount of debt you are willing to take on because dental school is more expensive than medical school.

You should prepare your answer to why you made a switch. You don't need to give us the story of how that happened; I'm more interested why you made the switch near the end of a medical school application rather than -- as you have now learned -- before putting in the effort to apply to medical school. You have a business that utilizes your hand skills (I presume), and your community service experience gives us an idea you know about challenges others face when accessing dental care.

What do you see yourself doing as a dentist? Given the proliferation of DSOs, do you want to work for a company to pay off your debts? Do you have experience working in a dental clinic environment with other hygienists and assistants? How strong are your letters that attest you would be an outstanding DENTIST?

Getting into dental school is very possible, but you need to have an application that says you made the turn to dentistry and are not going back.

I'll reconsider your school list, but you really need to look at the amount of student debt you are willing to take. We have plenty of threads here where we discuss this, and you need to seriously pause about taking on $500-700K before you start working.

Okay, the additional detail is important.

I have had plenty of applicants who started pre-med who switched to pre-dental. What you are missing is an idea how dental schools train students, which is why I ask whether you have attended any recruitment sessions at schools on your list. Because you are trying to apply as an OOS student, it's important you do this and start figuring out what amount of debt you are willing to take on because dental school is more expensive than medical school.

You should prepare your answer to why you made a switch. You don't need to give us the story of how that happened; I'm more interested why you made the switch near the end of a medical school application rather than -- as you have now learned -- before putting in the effort to apply to medical school. You have a business that utilizes your hand skills (I presume), and your community service experience gives us an idea you know about challenges others face when accessing dental care.

What do you see yourself doing as a dentist? Given the proliferation of DSOs, do you want to work for a company to pay off your debts? Do you have experience working in a dental clinic environment with other hygienists and assistants? How strong are your letters that attest you would be an outstanding DENTIST?

Getting into dental school is very possible, but you need to have an application that says you made the turn to dentistry and are not going back.

I'll reconsider your school list, but you really need to look at the amount of student debt you are willing to take. We have plenty of threads here where we discuss this, and you need to seriously pause about taking on $500-700K before you start working.
Thank you so much for your insightful reply! From the schools on my list, I really want to get accepted into midwestern (Chicago). Do you think I can get there? Aside from my school list, do you think I have a chance at getting accepted? I am currently stuck on what to write in my personal statement. What would write about if you were in my situation?