WAMC - second time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topazz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m actually a second time applicant. I thought I’d have a good shot at vet school but I was hit with 3 and a half rejections this week and am feeling pretty down. (These schools were at the top of my list). I know last year I didn’t get in because I blew the one interview I did land, but there are schools that are still passing me up for even just the interview stage. I need either a pep talk or a reality check. I applied to 9 schools last year and 14 schools this year.

My stats:
cumulative GPA is 3.7
Science gpa (depends on the school) 3.5-3.7
Last 45 gpa 3.85
GRE 324 total
Worked well over 3,000 hours animal/vet experience -mostly small and exotic
President of a club
Multiple awards and honors
BS degree completed June 2019 with a minor
Weaknesses: essays and interviews. I just don’t seem to be able to make myself stand out or present myself well.

(The half rejection is because I’m on an interview waitlist for one school)

Members don't see this ad.

What schools did you apply to?

What schools did you apply to?

Davis, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin- Madison, Iowa, Illinois, Cornell, u-penn, Ohio, Western, Kansas, Minnesota, Ross

Regected Washington Oregon and Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your in state school?

Davis, I’ve interviewed twice there but didn’t make the cut last year and I’m not sure I will this year either.

Davis, I’ve interviewed twice there but didn’t make the cut last year and I’m not sure I will this year either.

Best I can say is that you need many people to read your essays and help bring you to life on paper. You have to be seen in word form since the rest of your app seems average. Why is it you feel you don't come across well both on paper and interview?

Reactions: 1 user
So, you still have quite a few schools to hear from and several on your list will probably take a hard look at you. Oregon was probably your biggest stretch due to having only 35 out of state seats.

Just hang tight!

Hi there.

I am very out of the loop of vet school application, what does WAMC mean?

So, you still have quite a few schools to hear from and several on your list will probably take a hard look at you. Oregon was probably your biggest stretch due to having only 35 out of state seats.

Just hang tight!

Ahh I’m just having flashbacks to last year where I just got one rejection after another!! I think with my essays I have a hard time conveying just how passionate I am about this career on paper. Add in a dash of awkward nerves and it’s hard to leave a good impression in person. Confession- I invested in some interview coaching this year! Maybe that’ll help.

Hopefully you’re right :) I feel like the OOS bar can be really high sometimes. I’m excited about all the schools I applied to, so I guess I should just wait and see. Oregon was hard to hear because I was waitlisted last year and straight up rejected after sizably improving my app this year. The whole thing seems kind of random sometimes!

Ahh I’m just having flashbacks to last year where I just got one rejection after another!! I think with my essays I have a hard time conveying just how passionate I am about this career on paper. Add in a dash of awkward nerves and it’s hard to leave a good impression in person.

Don’t try to convey how passionate you are. Out of over 7,000 applicants (how many were there this year? I sort of just made up a number) every single one is passionate about veterinary medicine. You will not stand out by trying to sound passionate. Describe why the field would benefit from having you in it. Describe what experiences make you unique, not passionate. This applies heavily to interviews as well. Talk about the hours spent working at vet hospitals and why that time was unique and memorable for you, and how it will impact your path as a veterinarian. Talk about the research you did and the impact it made, and how you’ll use that knowledge moving forward.

But please, please do not use the word passionate. Ever. Please.

Reactions: 3 users