WAMC - 1st Time Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venomcake

Reaction score
Hello, I am a NY resident planning on applying for the first time this cycle. The schools I am interested in applying to currently are Cornell, LIU, Mizzou, Ohio, Washington, Dublin, Edinburgh, and Ross. I was primarily interested in NC State as well but I know for OOS acceptance my chances are limited. I am concerned about the cost of attendance so I attempted to pick some schools that would leave me in the least debt. I wanted advice on whether these schools are a wise choice considering my profile and if I am neglecting other good options.

I also was looking for general advice on how to improve my application, in particular, I know I need to diversify my vet experience. Should leave my current position as a veterinary assistant at a GP to gain experience at another hospital to do so? I like working with the two doctors I work for and will be asking them for a LOR so I was not sure if this would be a good decision. Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

Cumulative GPA: 3.65
science GPA: 3.51
last 45: 3.5? unsure how to calculate due to some courses being P/F for internship/research credit

Any degrees achieved: BS in Biological Sciences and BS in Environmental Science, graduated May 2023

GRE results: not taking

Veterinary Experience:
+2000 hours at the same small animal GP by the time applications are due, trying to get in anywhere I can to shadow exotics//specialty/equine but it's been hard finding places open to it. I'm also interested in possibly finding an overnight position at an ER even though I'm working full-time currently.
30 hours shadowing at another small animal GP
6 hours shadowing at another small animal GP

Animal Experience:
900 hours working at a wildlife rehabilitation center
300 working at a doggy daycare
100 hours working at a shelter
10 hours volunteering at an alpaca farm
20 hours volunteering with horses
20 hours volunteering at assorted animal shelters

Research Experience:
120 hours as a research assistant in the field of animal behavior, the experience was virtual not out in the field.
*100 hours as a freshman I participated in a research community-based program where we learned how to conduct research, so not sure if I should count that as a particular research experience or just an extracurricular- we did utilize sample data collected to make research presentations. We presented virtually due to COVID.

Awards/scholarships:
Deans list
Seal of Biliteracy in HS

Extracurriculars:
In undergrad:
Academic VP for college dorm building for a year, was virtual due to COVID
Was an invasive species technician intern for a semester
TA for Animal Behavior class for a semester
Member of animal shelter volunteer club
Member of pre-vet club

In HS:
Colorguard (3 years)