WAMC/School List (4.0 c/sGPA 512 MCAT, Junior) NC Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParmesanChez1

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    4.0 c/s GPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    512 (129,126,129,128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    NC Resident and strong NY ties (Born and raised for 18 years with family and friends still living there)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    White Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    Large state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    All Volunteer
    300 hrs Hospital transport (since freshman year)
    400 hrs one on one diabetes coach for free clinics, also lead group diabetes management program for the same patients
    150 hrs handing out produce to patients at free clinics and providing nutrition education
    **Will continue everything this summer/senior year**
  7. Research experience and productivity
    150 hrs: Qualitative research determining barriers/promoters of farmers taking part in produce prescription programs/excess produce donation programs. 1st author and polishing off paper to be sent to review
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    70 hrs (Peds, IM, Family Med)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    200hrs Harvesting produce from farmers for patients in free clinics, Program Coordinator (100k lbs harvested and given to numerous orgs)
    100hrs general food bank
    75hrs service trip
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    Program coordinator of Free Rural Healthcare org 16+ counties and served 300+ pts
    350 hrs Undergraduate Assistant (Principles of Genetics and Cell and Developmental Biology) 3 sem
    300 hrs tutoring (Calc 1/2, Genetics, Orgo 1/2)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    Eagle Scout
    Deans List (4.0 GPA for each semester since fall freshman year)
  12. Other notes
    I will be doing everything into the summer/my senior year. My application is very community health/underserved focused

School List So Far (I fall in at least 25th percentile for most if not all schools on MSAR)

Brody School of Medicine
UNC
Wake Forest
Albany Medical College
Jacobs SOM Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
NY Medical College
Einterin College of Medicine
SUNY Downstate
VCU
Eastern Virginia Medical School
UMiami Leonard SOM
FAU CoM
UCF COM
USC SoM Greenville
Tufts SOM
UMass Chan SOM
UMaryland SoM
Frank H. Netter SoM at Quinnipiac
UCONN
Georgetown
George Washington
Tulane
Oakland University
Loyola Chicago
Saint Louis University
Penn State
Rush
Thomas Jefferson
Wayne State
Creighton

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice profile so far. I'm unsure if growing up in NY that ECU would be a good fit as they tend to prefer people with a solid commitment to the rural areas of North Carolina. However, if a lot of your community service work with food distribution and nutrition education (including diabetes educator) is directed towards people out and around Greenville towards the coast, you might have a good argument for them. Check with the schools in NC, and I would include Campbell to the list on the DO side.

Otherwise, it makes sense to apply to your NY list since you grew up in NY. Was it in the city or upstate/WNY area?

Would you be interested in NHSC? AHEC Scholars programs?

Check your list against other programs that have a component where "food as medicine" is taught both didactically and experientially.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice profile so far. I'm unsure if growing up in NY that ECU would be a good fit as they tend to prefer people with a solid commitment to the rural areas of North Carolina. However, if a lot of your community service work with food distribution and nutrition education (including diabetes educator) is directed towards people out and around Greenville towards the coast, you might have a good argument for them. Check with the schools in NC, and I would include Campbell to the list on the DO side.

Otherwise, it makes sense to apply to your NY list since you grew up in NY. Was it in the city or upstate/WNY area?

Would you be interested in NHSC? AHEC Scholars programs?

Check your list against other programs that have a component where "food as medicine" is taught both didactically and experientially.
Hello and thank you for your response!

To answer a few of your questions. All of the work described is in the Greenville/Eastern NC region and the patients of their med student lead free clinic at BSOM are part of our program.

I grew up closer to the city in NY (Long island, 5 mins away from queens with family in the boroughs (bronx, staten island, queens).

I've shown interest but haven't done a ton of research on NHSC/AHEC programs

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
South Carolina, UMass, UConn admit few non residents with your MCAT of 512 and no connection to the state. You will not be competitive at Einstein with a MCAT of 512. You could add these schools:
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Belmont