WAMC/School List: 3.4cGPA ~3.5sGPA (upward trend), ORM, OH Resident, 512 MCAT, Research Heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waxkyzany123

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering what my chances of getting into an MD school are this upcoming cycle.

Additional information:
- Senior biochem major, biology minor at R2 University.
- Working in a materials science lab since the fall of 2021 (strong letter from PI; we get along well), 1 pub, 2 more before I leave, probably >3500 hours. 3 poster presentations, also.
- Summer internship in a cancer research center, 1st author pub in a decent journal from my time there, poster and oral presentation; 2 other pubs because I work with them remotely, with more on the way.
- 512 MCAT (131/126/129/126). Not the best split but C/P and B/B are strong.
- ~60 shadowing hours in OR and clinic.
- I have been teaching general chemistry to students since the fall of 2021; I am not sure about the hours, but I can do the math.
- volunteer at a local park, probably for 160 hours; I love nature.
- medical scribe for my sophomore spring semester, probably 100 hours.
- VP of a club for my junior year, passed the torch to an underclassman.
- was nominated by my PI (eventually the school) for the Goldwater scholarship, but I don't know if this matters.
- doing SMP after graduation (I know it won't show up on my app, but I'd rather not take a year off).

Could anyone help me with a school list or let me know my chances?

I would rather only apply to MD programs.

Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are low for MD schools since you have only 100 hours of clinical exposure and no non clinical volunteering. You should accumulate another 100 hours of scribing and 150 + hours of non clinical volunteering (homeless shelter, food bank, etc. ) before you submit your application. Will you be able to accumulate those hours by late June ?

Reactions: 1 user
Doing an SMP after graduation, but rather not take a year off? SMPs are expensive, and so doing them without any benefit for you to use them is financially unwise.

Just to make sure, are you a senior right now, and you will do the SMP this upcoming academic year (2024-2025)?

If so, I would say take that year off after your SMP and apply then. Focus on that SMP, crush it, and make your money worth it. While your at it, just focus on 2 activities outside of school: a clinical activity and a nonclinical volunteering (helping those less fortunate than you such as at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen). You are certainly lacking in those hours.

This one year can make a HUGE difference in your med school admission success if you play your cards right.

Also, during that year when you apply, get a job somewhere that pays well, and save your money. Again, depending on your job, you may be able to save a lot that could help reduce that SMP and med school debt!