WAMC? School Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent724

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School list seems okay. Maybe remove touro and add either Minnesota or Creighton being in the Midwest. Touro added 100 more seats to their incoming class for NM expansion and they haven’t worked the kinks out yet and their facilities aren’t big enough to handle it from what I’ve heard

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: Planning July 5th
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.71
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/21TS/22PAT/19BIO/21GC/23OC/25RC/19QR
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: Michigan State
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 hours of shadowing two different general dentists
Volunteering Experience: 300 hours of volunteer COVID testing in drive through test site, 1 week medical brigade trip to Costa Rica (about 100 hours)
Employment: oral surgeon assistant for 3 years, general dentist assistant for 7 months, TA for 3 semesters in bio 2 lab
Research: Lab side bench assistant, completed plate based DNA extractions for a conservation genetics lab for 2 semesters during undergrad.
Other Extracurriculars: member for 3 years and president my fourth year of my cultural club, and was in my pre-dental society all four years. Was also a member of my college's Global Brigades chapter and attended a medical/dental mission trip for 1 week with the organization.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list every semester, graduated in my degree with honors
LOR type and strength: 1 general dentist I shadowed (normal), 1 oral surgeon (STRONG), biology professor/course coordinator for course I TA'ed (STRONG), and 1 professor (strong)
Misc Info: That score is my 2nd attempt (went from 19 AA --> 21 AA, 17 TS --> 21 TS, 18 PAT --> 22 PAT). During this application cycle which is my gap year, applied to and got into Masters of Bioethics (10 month program) through OSU's med school, still debating whether or not I will enroll due to cost.

School list:
Michigan
University of Detroit Mercy
Midwestern - IL
Case Western
Ohio State
Touro
Indiana
Marquette
Buffalo
Temple
Pittsburgh
Maryland

Please help with school list!
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering Experience: 300 hours of volunteer COVID testing in drive through test site, 1 week medical brigade trip to Costa Rica (about 100 hours)
Any other community service? These are both clinical-adjacent and doesn't give me a sense that you have any ongoing community service.

I presume you applied for a Masters in Bioethics because you were actually interested in the topic. I don't know if it will significantly boost your application (since you would be in the program while applying, and it's not an SMP).

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?
Attended bootcamp days (full admissions meeting, ASDA panels, sim lab practice, school tours) for UDM, UMich, and OSU. Shadowed dental student at UDM. I attended an OMFS conference with the doctor I work for (Women in OMS centered group). Attended open houses for 6 of those schools. Attended other events that their ASDA chapters had (interview prep, have a dental student mentor through their chapter)

Last edited:
Any other community service? These are both clinical-adjacent and doesn't give me a sense that you have any ongoing community service.

I presume you applied for a Masters in Bioethics because you were actually interested in the topic. I don't know if it will significantly boost your application (since you would be in the program while applying, and it's not an SMP).
Yes, I’m pretty interested in Bioethics and thought, in an effort to stay busy/involved during my gap year, that I could pursue that while continuing work as an assistant (program completely online). Right now, the cost is holding me back. TBD.

As far as community service goes, I have volunteered through my clubs for 20 hours/year in various forms (food banks, tutoring, food drives) during my three yrs of undergrad. I don’t know if that would be considered double dipping if they are through my extracurricular clubs/organizations/leadership positions. Am interested in pursuing more community service in an effort to establish a more ongoing solid volunteering gig, so maybe that will keep me busy rather than the Bioethics program if that falls through. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: Planning July 5th
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.75
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.71
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA/21TS/22PAT/19BIO/21GC/23OC/25RC/19QR
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: Michigan State
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 hours of shadowing two different general dentists
Employment: oral surgeon assistant for 3 years, general dentist assistant for 7 months, TA for 3 semesters in bio 2 lab
Research: Lab side bench assistant, completed plate based DNA extractions for a conservation genetics lab for 2 semesters during undergrad.
Other Extracurriculars: member for 3 years and president my fourth year of my cultural club, and was in my pre-dental society all four years. Was also a member of my college's Global Brigades chapter and attended a medical/dental mission trip for 1 week with the organization.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's list every semester, graduated in my degree with honors
LOR type and strength: 1 general dentist I shadowed (normal), 1 oral surgeon (STRONG), biology professor/course coordinator for course I TA'ed (STRONG), and 1 professor (strong)
Misc Info: That score is my 2nd attempt (went from 19 AA --> 21 AA, 17 TS --> 21 TS, 18 PAT --> 22 PAT). During this application cycle which is my gap year, applied to and got into Masters of Bioethics (10 month program) through OSU's med school, still debating whether or not I will enroll due to cost.

School list:
Michigan
University of Detroit Mercy
Midwestern - IL
Case Western
Ohio State
Touro
Indiana
Marquette
Buffalo
Temple
Pittsburgh
Maryland

Please help with school list!
Attended bootcamp days (full admissions meeting, ASDA panels, sim lab practice, school tours) for UDM, UMich, and OSU. Shadowed dental student at UDM. I attended an OMFS conference with the doctor I work for (Women in OMS centered group). Attended open houses for 6 of those schools. Attended other events that their ASDA chapters had (interview prep, have a dental student mentor through their chapter)
you're pretty solid with your list, except for touro...

Reactions: 1 users