WAMC 2024-2025 application cycle; need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinketlist

Reaction score
Date of submission: Likely September
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score:
cDAT - 24AA, 21 PAT, 22RC
State of Residence: Canada

Major: Psychology Spec
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes
I was formerly a full time student taking 4 courses per semester (full time) with spring courses. I had done this for two academic years, before my eating disorder got the best of me. I have been suffering from an ED, bulimia, since Grade 10 and when I entered my third year of university, I had spiraled out of control and dropped half of my third year fall courses and did not return to class. My dentist is the one who recognized that I was bulimic first despite having several doctors see me, getting bloodwork done roughly 8 times, and meeting with two gynecologists about my deteriorating condition. I owe my dentist my life when she recognized that my teeth were damaged and I have so much respect for her for making me feel so safe and seen -- it was impossible to tell anyone about my eating disorder and I had wanted someone to tell me what I was suffering from for so long. I'd like to share my experience in my PS and emphasize my goal to help others like myself.

I'm returning to school finally this spring term after being in recovery for the past year and a half and will be catching up with my peers to finish my degree within "5 years". Frankly, I'm a proud of recovering after what happened to me, but I fear that dental schools will see my grades and my sudden leave from school first and judge me solely on that - I also realize that schools will not like that I have only taken 1 academic year that has a full course load (5 courses per semester). I also have not completed the Organic Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, and Biochemistry requirements of most schools and will not be able to complete them all until 2025 Summer (August) which I know that a lot of schools will frown upon as they consider them pre-requisites.

Shadowing Experience: 120 hrs
Volunteering Experience: 200 hrs Tutoring Association (2020-2022), 50 hrs Tutoring Association for University Students (2020),
Employment: 1440 hrs Private Tutor with an academy (2020-current), 400 hrs Barista (2022), 1120 hrs Physiotherapy Assistant (2023)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: 2 work related LOR, 1 dentist letter (the one who had helped me)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Dropped 3 courses in my third year fall, did not attend school for 1.5 years
School list:
I am willing to go anywhere in the US and Canada (Cannot consider Australia due to a pet)
Hoping to apply to: University of Toronto, McGill, University of Alberta (all pre-reqs need to be completed/registered by the Winter 2025; unsure of how they will consider my app)
Other US schools: NYU, UMN, Detroit Mercy, NSU, Temple
Would also like to apply to: University of British Columbia (all pre-reqs need to be completed by August 2024 apparently as there are no conditional offers, website with criteria is slightly unclear)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: Likely September
Overall GPA: 3.9
Science GPA: 3.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score:
cDAT - 24AA, 21 PAT, 22RC
State of Residence: Canada

Major: Psychology Spec
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes
I was formerly a full time student taking 4 courses per semester (full time) with spring courses. I had done this for two academic years, before my eating disorder got the best of me. I have been suffering from an ED, bulimia, since Grade 10 and when I entered my third year of university, I had spiraled out of control and dropped half of my third year fall courses and did not return to class. My dentist is the one who recognized that I was bulimic first despite having several doctors see me, getting bloodwork done roughly 8 times, and meeting with two gynecologists about my deteriorating condition. I owe my dentist my life when she recognized that my teeth were damaged and I have so much respect for her for making me feel so safe and seen -- it was impossible to tell anyone about my eating disorder and I had wanted someone to tell me what I was suffering from for so long. I'd like to share my experience in my PS and emphasize my goal to help others like myself.

I'm returning to school finally this spring term after being in recovery for the past year and a half and will be catching up with my peers to finish my degree within "5 years". Frankly, I'm a proud of recovering after what happened to me, but I fear that dental schools will see my grades and my sudden leave from school first and judge me solely on that - I also realize that schools will not like that I have only taken 1 academic year that has a full course load (5 courses per semester). I also have not completed the Organic Chemistry, Physics, Microbiology, and Biochemistry requirements of most schools and will not be able to complete them all until 2025 Summer (August) which I know that a lot of schools will frown upon as they consider them pre-requisites.

Shadowing Experience: 120 hrs
Volunteering Experience: 200 hrs Tutoring Association (2020-2022), 50 hrs Tutoring Association for University Students (2020),
Employment: 1440 hrs Private Tutor with an academy (2020-current), 400 hrs Barista (2022), 1120 hrs Physiotherapy Assistant (2023)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List
LOR type and strength: 2 work related LOR, 1 dentist letter (the one who had helped me)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Dropped 3 courses in my third year fall, did not attend school for 1.5 years
School list:
I am willing to go anywhere in the US and Canada (Cannot consider Australia due to a pet)
Hoping to apply to: University of Toronto, McGill, University of Alberta (all pre-reqs need to be completed/registered by the Winter 2025; unsure of how they will consider my app)
Would also like to apply to: University of British Columbia (all pre-reqs need to be completed by August 2024 apparently as there are no conditional offers, website with criteria is slightly unclear)
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!
Hi! Thank you, I did add a few US schools that caught my eye, but I'm still worried about my red flags sadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you, I did add a few US schools that caught my eye, but I'm still worried about my red flags sadly.
how did they "catch your eye"?
please throw out your red flags for a moment and make a list...

Could you explain why you are waiting until September to submit an application? I know Canada isn't rolling admissions like the US, but if you want to make a serious shot at the US... is it just because of the rush to complete your prerequisites in the summer?

Have you taken the DAT? Organic chem is on the DAT, and the math/algebra in physics is tested on the DAT.

Canadian programs are very protective of their provincial applicants. Alberta is 90% in-province (29 of 32 seats) so you need to reach out to see if you have a viable application given the timing of your prereq courses.

Last edited:
how did they "catch your eye"?
please throw out your red flags for a moment and make a list...
In truth, a chunk of it comes down to the courses that I can take within this year and I don't have enough time this upcoming academic year to take organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry that many other schools require. My distantly related (but close in relationship) grandfather actually went to NYU for his PhD and scrapped together his funds to go there so I have a deep amount of fondness for it as well. What I really care for most of these schools however is that the priority for care regardless of background and to advance oral health for diverse communities -- my family is from Korea and both of my parents have very poor teeth due to the lack of good oral hygiene in their youth. Their families could not afford it at the time and the availability of good dental care was lacking where they lived. My mother suffers from constant tooth pains and has had two root canals due to the damage caused when she was younger. Meanwhile my father has no teeth and lost them roughly 20 years ago. There's been lots of advancements in South Korea over the past 60 years making things more affordable for dental care and improving it all around, but people from every background do not have that opportunity. I'm pursuing oral health so that I can help someone's physical health as well (beyond just recognizing bulimia) especially for at risk communities and I would like to be with a school that recognizes the importance of that too.

Reactions: 1 user
Could you explain why you are waiting until September to submit an application? I know Canada isn't rolling admissions like the US, but if you want to make a serious shot at the US... is it just because of the rush to complete your prerequisites in the summer?

Have you taken the DAT? Organic chem is on the DAT, and the math/algebra in physics is tested on the DAT.

Canadian programs are very protective of their provincial applicants. Alberta is 90% in-province (29 of 32 seats) so you need to reach out to see if you have a viable application given the timing of your prereq courses.
I was thinking of either August or September as I have not completed my Casper yet and I've been out of school for so long. I'd like to show US and Canadian schools that I am able to return to school and am fully capable of handling something like dental school! I also sadly have to save the extra funds to apply to these schools.

I've taken the cDAT which had a Biology, Chemistry, PA, and RC section on it. Also thank you! Alberta's very competitive in province with an acceptance rate of 10% compared to the 18% of some other schools - although, it is in province for me. I've been a bit ashamed to ask certain schools about my situation and if they would accept a conditional applicant.

Last edited:
I was thinking of either August or September as I have not completed my Casper yet and I've been out of school for so long. I'd like to show US and Canadian schools that I am able to return to school and am fully capable of handling something like dental school!
There aren't many US dental schools that require Casper (2024-2025 list of schools and their SJTs). The Canadian dental schools haven't posted their schedules on the Acuity Insights site.

No adcom/faculty should be concerned with your academic capabilities in dental school that with a 3.9 GPA and DAT 24/21. Sure it's not a guarantee, but most will figure you have the academic competency. The concerns will focus on completing prerequisites by the time you must transition to a potential matriculation to dental school.

Talking about academic competencies, your activities involve a ton of time as a tutor. I don't see much in the bucket of serving marginalized communities such as Indigenous or historically underserved groups. With which activities do you show your professional competencies?

Yes, Canadian dental school admissions websites are (for lack of a better term) intentionally vague. Reputationally, higher ed in Canada rewards high stats, and you have solid metrics for that.

Old article about going to Australia

There aren't many US dental schools that require Casper (2024-2025 list of schools and their SJTs). The Canadian dental schools haven't posted their schedules on the Acuity Insights site.

No adcom/faculty should be concerned with your academic capabilities in dental school that with a 3.9 GPA and DAT 24/21. Sure it's not a guarantee, but most will figure you have the academic competency. The concerns will focus on completing prerequisites by the time you must transition to a potential matriculation to dental school.

Talking about academic competencies, your activities involve a ton of time as a tutor. I don't see much in the bucket of serving marginalized communities such as Indigenous or historically underserved groups. With which activities do you show your professional competencies?

Yes, Canadian dental school admissions websites are (for lack of a better term) intentionally vague. Reputationally, higher ed in Canada rewards high stats, and you have solid metrics for that.

Old article about going to Australia
This is really insightful! I tutored a lot of Korean immigrants and other immigrants who went through my tutoring agency at our university and it was really rewarding. I don't believe I have enough time to rack up hundreds of hours to serve Indigenous communities as you mentioned between now and August, but it will be something I will pursue over the next school year! Half of my life was spent living in a small town where most of my classmates were Indigenous and while I may have attended events and protests, those don't quite count as volunteering time.

This is really insightful! I tutored a lot of Korean immigrants and other immigrants who went through my tutoring agency at our university and it was really rewarding. I don't believe I have enough time to rack up hundreds of hours to serve Indigenous communities as you mentioned between now and August, but it will be something I will pursue over the next school year! Half of my life was spent living in a small town where most of my classmates were Indigenous and while I may have attended events and protests, those don't quite count as volunteering time.
I'm not familiar with how Canadian dental schools perform their holistic reviews, but if you grew up outside a metropolitan or suburban area (say along the usual population centres along the St. Lawrence or the Great Lakes), that is important for the admissions committee to hear.

If you are able to register for the ADEA Virtual Dental School Recruitment Fair in late May, I would encourage you to connect with schools that have matriculated Canadians. Do some digging with the ADEA Dental School Explorer to see. The US schools will list the composition of their recent entering class by state and nation (which means Canada). I'm unaware of Canadian programs that participate or do any type of recruitment. (I'm sure they probably do.)

Also, be aware the US dental schools often use Recorded Video Interviews (branded by the Toronto-based company Kira Talent for the most part). Scour our school-specific pages about which programmes use Kira (for examples: NYU, USC, Detroit Mercy). Use of RVIs is NOT listed in the DSE. (An article briefly describing how RVIs are involved in the admissions process is pending.)

In truth, a chunk of it comes down to the courses that I can take within this year and I don't have enough time this upcoming academic year to take organic chemistry and inorganic chemistry that many other schools require. My distantly related (but close in relationship) grandfather actually went to NYU for his PhD and scrapped together his funds to go there so I have a deep amount of fondness for it as well. What I really care for most of these schools however is that the priority for care regardless of background and to advance oral health for diverse communities -- my family is from Korea and both of my parents have very poor teeth due to the lack of good oral hygiene in their youth. Their families could not afford it at the time and the availability of good dental care was lacking where they lived. My mother suffers from constant tooth pains and has had two root canals due to the damage caused when she was younger. Meanwhile my father has no teeth and lost them roughly 20 years ago. There's been lots of advancements in South Korea over the past 60 years making things more affordable for dental care and improving it all around, but people from every background do not have that opportunity. I'm pursuing oral health so that I can help someone's physical health as well (beyond just recognizing bulimia) especially for at risk communities and I would like to be with a school that recognizes the importance of that too.
you need to find mission fit with international friendly schools
yes, NYU is one, but you are going to need more

and if you are having difficulties affording your application fees, how are you planning on paying for interview trips and dental school?

Reactions: 1 users
you need to find mission fit with international friendly schools
yes, NYU is one, but you are going to need more

and if you are having difficulties affording your application fees, how are you planning on paying for interview trips and dental school?
Noted! I'll dig a little deeper into the other schools!

My parents are actually supporting me through my dental school, just not through the applications. They're very adamant that I can get into our in-province universities, so they would like me to only apply to the few here but I'm a bit worried and would like to cover all my bases and apply to as many as possible.

I'm not familiar with how Canadian dental schools perform their holistic reviews, but if you grew up outside a metropolitan or suburban area (say along the usual population centres along the St. Lawrence or the Great Lakes), that is important for the admissions committee to hear.

If you are able to register for the ADEA Virtual Dental School Recruitment Fair in late May, I would encourage you to connect with schools that have matriculated Canadians. Do some digging with the ADEA Dental School Explorer to see. The US schools will list the composition of their recent entering class by state and nation (which means Canada). I'm unaware of Canadian programs that participate or do any type of recruitment. (I'm sure they probably do.)

Also, be aware the US dental schools often use Recorded Video Interviews (branded by the Toronto-based company Kira Talent for the most part). Scour our school-specific pages about which programmes use Kira (for examples: NYU, USC, Detroit Mercy). Use of RVIs is NOT listed in the DSE. (An article briefly describing how RVIs are involved in the admissions process is pending.)
Thank you! I'll mention this when I submit my applications; my small town that I had lived in only had a single dentist as well, but I remember them as a nice man who helped the rural community we had.

I'll also register for the fair, I think that would help me a lot!

Just to be clear is the Kira a replacement for in-person interviews or is it a part of the application process? I like to think I'm quite good at improvising, but I will do my best to prepare for those!