MD & DO WAMC Reapplicant/ORM/NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSTQueen

Reaction score
Please do not quote this message!

2nd time posting but this time for DO recommendations !
I applied last cycle (2020-2021) and was fortunate enough to receive 3 IIs (Downstate, Stony Brook, Einstein) but no As (waitlisted and HPWL at the latter two) even though I was completed late September/early October

This cycle I finished everything by late August/early September before Labor Day. Unfortunately, I still do not have a single II (and 2 Pre-II Rs) and considering my reapplicant status, am getting nervous (i.e. I do not have the funds to reapply for a third cycle). Listed below are my stats and school list with * indicating new application towards the school. Highlighted items in red are new for the 2nd application. Highlighted items in green were included in an update letter that was sent out a couple weeks ago.
  1. cGPA: 3.8x sGPA: 3.7x
  2. MCAT score(s): 09/2019 509 (128/126/128/127) and 06/2020 517 (130/127/130/130)
  3. State of residence: NY with ties to NJ (grew up there and family still lives there)
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Public (Double Majored in Science and Humanities)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. Volunteer: 230 hours in a BMT ward
    2. Non-volunteer: 1500 hours as a MA (1st gap year experience)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 425 hrs summer experience
    2. 1200 hrs at school lab + 1 publication
    3. current research tech (2nd gap year experience)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 80 family med
    2. 200 derm-oncology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 250 hrs at my community temple
    2. 100 hrs tutoring disadvantaged students during COVID + additional 50 hours
    3. Teaching Fellow in another tutoring program for disadvantaged students
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. TA in two courses
    2. Student Ambassador 25 hrs
    3. Member of Leadership Council 100 hrs
    4. Performing arts team member 400 hrs
    5. Tutor for students in academic skills (time management and the like)
    6. Working in retail during gap year (juggling two jobs to help my family financially)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Dean's List, Academic Excellence award in my 2nd major, State wide award
School List:
NYU
Columbia*
Cornell
Hofstra
Rochester (Pre II R)
Stony Brook
Rutgers NJ*
Rutgers Robert Wood*
Georgetown (Pre II R)
Downstate
Einstein
Jefferson
Upstate
Hackensack*
Vermont*
Buffalo
NYMC
Albany

Looking for DO recommendations since I will be starting that application in the coming weeks! Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest applying to DO schools this month and consider all these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
UNECOM

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest applying to DO schools this month and consider all these:
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
UNECOM
Thank you so much Faha!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you improve from your last application?

ADDED: thank you for highlighting your updates.

1) Could you be more specific with your activities with your temple?
2) How many added hours in the second tutoring position?
3) Did you just start being a research tech? How are you doing this while juggling your other jobs?
4) Did you shadow/work with any DO's among all the clinical experiences you listed?

Last edited:
How did you improve from your last application?

ADDED: thank you for highlighting your updates.

1) Could you be more specific with your activities with your temple?
2) How many added hours in the second tutoring position?
3) Did you just start being a research tech? How are you doing this while juggling your other jobs?
4) Did you shadow/work with any DO's among all the clinical experiences you listed?
1. I volunteer predominantly in the soup kitchen department and also help upkeep the temple as well.
2. As of right now it's projected to be an additional 25 hours with the second tutoring position.
3. I just started being a research technician. I had resigned from my MA position since the physician is going on maternity leave and I would be unpaid during that time. Currently I work 6 days a week with one day dedicated to my retail position which I have kept.
4. I unfortunately was not able to shadow/work with any DO's among my clinical experiences. I am currently looking for opportunities to do so.