WAMC- only applying to Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddieals

Reaction score
Date of submission: 07/13/2023 submitted, TMDSAS should process and transmit it the week of Aug. 21st
Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.81
Only B's ever made were in high school dual credit and freshman year of college.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA: 21, TS:20, PAT:20, Bio: 20, Chem: 20, Ochem:21, Reading: 22, Quant Reasoning: 21
State of Residence: Texas

Undergrad Attended: University of North Texas
Major: Rehabilitation Studies
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, graduated 2020 and then became pre-dental, went back to school full-time to finish prerequisites after. Prerequisites are completed but still taking upper-level sciences in the meantime.

Shadowing Experience: 368+ (most at general, but also oral surgery, endo, and ortho - about 25 hours each) - ongoing
Volunteering Experience: 335+ mainly as a Sunday school teacher, serving food at a homeless shelter, and assisting at a free dental clinic, but also 30 or so hours at a few other places. - ongoing
Employment: Worked full-time in college as medical scribe and contact tracer, worked 1 year as dental assistant after graduating and currently work at the same office as an office administrator (for the last year and a half). Currently switch between assisting and front office full-time.
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: nothing super noteworthy (play clarinet, play tennis, and run long distance, pre-dental club)
Relevant Honors or Awards: President's list for 7 semesters
LOR type and strength: Committee letter including from a dentist (one of my bosses), professor, and my supervisor when interning at an assisted living facility for individuals with disabilities.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I took a year off of school during 2022 as my mom got sick and I had an unforeseen increase in obligations being the oldest of 5. While I was not taking classes, I continued to work full-time as a dental assistant and gain volunteer hours/experience. I know some schools don’t look keenly on an education gap but i’m hoping it won’t hinder me too much.
School list:
I am only applying through TMDSAS to Texas schools as I do not see myself moving OOS at this point. I am willing to reapply if necessary to stay in Texas. Do you think I have a shot this application cycle, or even next cycle? Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

The only thing is an application workshop at Woody L. Hunt. I’ve tried to go to other events but they were always full or I couldn’t get out of work. Do you think this will hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing is an application workshop at Woody L. Hunt. I’ve tried to go to other events but they were always full or I couldn’t get out of work. Do you think this will hurt my chances?
it only helps, but not going doesn't hurt you
what will hurt you is that everyone in texas and lots of people outside of texas want to go to the texas schools
what else have you done that will show your passion for dentistry and your mission fit at the texas schools?

it only helps, but not going doesn't hurt you
what will hurt you is that everyone in texas and lots of people outside of texas want to go to the texas schools
what else have you done that will show your passion for dentistry and your mission fit at the texas schools?

I agree, I think being a texas resident is a good thing though, since the class is majorly made up of in-state applicants. I hope/believe my life experiences, going back to school for multiple years with the sole purpose of becoming a dentist, working in an office for (going on) 3 years now, scoring decent on my DAT, as well as my personal statement, will hopefully demonstrate my motivation, determination, and understanding in pursuing a career in dentistry. I guess I am just curious if my basic stats are good enough to be considered since, as you mentioned, texas schools are very competitive.

I agree, I think being a texas resident is a good thing though, since the class is majorly made up of in-state applicants. I hope/believe my life experiences, going back to school for multiple years with the sole purpose of becoming a dentist, working in an office for (going on) 3 years now, scoring decent on my DAT, as well as my personal statement, will hopefully demonstrate my motivation, determination, and understanding in pursuing a career in dentistry. I guess I am just curious if my basic stats are good enough to be considered since, as you mentioned, texas schools are very competitive.
you'll be considered, of course
how competitive you are is a different question...

Nothing looks like a red flag to me. Very solid stats and (I presume) ongoing activities. How about Casper if you had to take it? (Probably just the med schools only, not dental but I have to ask.)

Education gap is not a problem. Find out which schools on your list have taken older students and their circumstances. I am sure you are not going to be the oldest student they have ever taken, if I interpreted your timeline properly.

you'll be considered, of course
how competitive you are is a different question...
I should have clarified, by considered, I meant considered for an interview/acceptance! So basically, wondering if it is competitive enough for a chance at at least an interview. Do you think my stats/experience are not enough for a shot?

Last edited:
Nothing looks like a red flag to me. Very solid stats and (I presume) ongoing activities. How about Casper if you had to take it? (Probably just the med schools only, not dental but I have to ask.)

Education gap is not a problem. Find out which schools on your list have taken older students and their circumstances. I am sure you are not going to be the oldest student they have ever taken, if I interpreted your timeline properly.
I appreciate it! Casper is not part of the application for any of the dental schools :) I am currently 24 so not too crazy but also not the traditional age.

Last edited:
I should have clarified, by considered, I meant considered for an interview/acceptance! So basically, wondering if it is competitive enough for a chance at at least an interview. Do you think my stats/experience are not enough for a shot?
Stats and experience need to make sense with mission fit and service orientation to the communities served by the Texas schools your are applying to. At this point you'll just have to trust the process. As mentioned, there's nothing that we think automatically excludes you based on metrics. We don't have your TMDSAS or secondary responses.