WAMC? NY ORM 3.5/522

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsmakesoup

Reaction score
Need help with a school list! I am open to both DO and MD:

1. cGPA/sGPA: 3.44/3.43 (3.45/3.41/3.47/3.44)
2. MCAT: 522 (131/130/131/130)
3. State: NYC
4. Ethnicity: Asian
5. Institution: Stony Brook University
6. Clinical: GI Tech (1500 hrs), Medical Assistant at a Pain Management Clinic (400 hrs), ED Pediatric Scribe (150 hrs)
7. Research: None
8. Shadowing: 100 hrs split between Primary Care/GI/ENT/rads
9. Non clinical Volunteering: Crisis Text Line (150 hrs), Human Resource Director at a non profit organization (250 hrs), Soup kitchen (50 hrs)
10. Other Stuff: Vice president of health science club, Tutor for children coming from low socioeconomic backgrounds, Physics and Biochem TA

School List (Only MD so far):
1. Howard
2. Morehouse
3. Tulane
4. Virginia Tech
5. Albany Medical College
6. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
7. Georgetown
8. UBuff
9. Loyola
10. NYMC
11. Rush
12. SUNY Downstate
13. SUNY Upstate
14. University of Illinois
15. University of Vermont
16. George Washington
17. Medical College of Wisconsin
18. Penn State
19. Albert Einstein
20. Eastern Virginia
21. Drexel
22. Emory
23. Tufts
24. Virginia Commonwealth
25. BU
26. Geisel at Dartmouth
27. Hackensack
28. Northeast Ohio School of Medicine
29. UCLA
30. University of Miami
31. University of Minnesota
32. Stony Brook

Any advice is greatly appreciated and I am open to any criticism about what schools I should take out or add!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove Howard and Morehouse since they mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Northeast Ohio, UCLA, Minnesota and Virginia Tech admit few applicants with your GPA and no connection to the region. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
USF Morsani
Creighton

Reactions: 1 users
Human Resource Director is typically an employed position, but with just 250 hours, it sticks out if you are claiming as non-clinical volunteering. You were volunteering in this stated role?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Human Resource Director is typically an employed position, but with just 250 hours, it sticks out if you are claiming as non-clinical volunteering. You were volunteering in this stated role?
Yeah I wasn't getting paid and was mainly in charge of setting up events/fundraisers, interviewing other volunteers, and sorting out potential problems within the organization. Admittedly, there weren't a lot of tasks delegated to me and although I had a director title, it didn't really feel like I was doing much. Should I remove the director part and just put "human resource member" instead on my application?

Last edited:
Remove Howard and Morehouse since they mainly admit applicants from the African American community. Northeast Ohio, UCLA, Minnesota and Virginia Tech admit few applicants with your GPA and no connection to the region. You could add these schools:
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
USF Morsani
Creighton
Appreciate the feedback!

Yeah I wasn't getting paid and was mainly in charge of setting up events/fundraisers, interviewing other volunteers, and sorting out potential problems within the organization. Admittedly, there weren't a lot of tasks delegated to me and although I had a director title, it didn't really feel like I was doing much. Should I remove the director part and just put "human resource member" instead on my application?
So what competencies do you feel this experience best addresses? I wouldn't really change the actual title of your position; it is what it is. I would want a better idea of how many fundraisers, how many interviews, and how much time you were handling interpersonal conflicts.

That said, get yourself 100+ hours more in the soup kitchen. Crisis text line usually doesn't put you face-to-face with the person you are helping, even though I can value it for your application. Balance it out with in-person experience.

So what competencies do you feel this experience best addresses? I wouldn't really change the actual title of your position; it is what it is. I would want a better idea of how many fundraisers, how many interviews, and how much time you were handling interpersonal conflicts.

That said, get yourself 100+ hours more in the soup kitchen. Crisis text line usually doesn't put you face-to-face with the person you are helping, even though I can value it for your application. Balance it out with in-person experience.
Thanks so much for the feedback!

I feel like the experience best addresses interpersonal competencies like teamwork, social skills, and oral communication. I usually interview a person every week or two and I also host weekly group meetings to allocate tasks and to just generally socialize with the team. Events and fundraisers are definitely rarer and it takes various members of the team working together to get them running. For interpersonal conflicts, we have a compliance division that I oversee in which we sort out various problems within the organization (usually members breaking the code of conduct). I think I can definitely squeeze in like 60-70 more hours of soup kitchen before I send in my primaries. The thing I'm most worried about is my lack of research, but I do have a position in september at a microbio lab that I will put some projected hours for (if it means anything).

Last edited: