WAMC 3.5/522 Ivy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

901ShelbyDrive

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
    • 3.5 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA (upward trend senior year and courses taken post-grad)
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
    • 522 (132/129/131/130)
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
    • NY
  • Ethnicity and/or race:
    • URM
  • Undergraduate institution or category:
    • Ivy
  • Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    • Full-time med assistant, 8 months ~1200 hours
    • Hospital volunteer, 8 months ~200 hours
    • Volunteer EMT, 5 months ~200 hours
  • Research experience and productivity
    • 2 yrs biochemistry research ~2500 hours, 3 pubs (middle authorships)
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • GI 20 hrs
    • Family medicine 45 hrs
    • Pediatrician 10 hrs
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Religious organization ~200 hrs, English tutoring ~300 hrs, Food kitchen ~150 hrs, Volunteer college counseling ~100 hrs, firefighter ~600 hrs
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Intramural sports captain, Greek Life eboard (not sure if it's appropriate to include but worked to create a safety document)
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • None

Need help with school list. I want to reach for the stars but am unsure if my GPA will bring me down. Is it worth applying to T20 or is it a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Which specific URM group?

How do your year by year GPAs look and how many credits did you take post-grad? Were they extra upper division sciences?

Which specific URM group?

How do your year by year GPAs look and how many credits did you take post-grad? Were they extra upper division sciences?
Puerto Rican. No real trend in GPA. Last 2 semesters were 3.0 (C in stats) and 3.83. Post-grad took 2 classes as a supplement to my lab work. All graded H/P/F. Got H in both. Both were grad school science classes. Thank you for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Conversationally fluent but not a native speaker. Also thank you for taking the time to ask follow up questions to give me a real answer. I was sparse on detail.
You can keep working on it over the next year. Being at conversational level is already good. Some schools like the Arizonas will target out of state students who are Latino and/or speak Spanish due to the demographics of the patient population.

It is worth trying some T20/30 schools, especially those that value ECs like Duke. I suggest:

All 4 SUNY
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
NYU LI (if interested in primary care)
NYMC
Albany
Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Boston
Hackensack
Brown
Dartmouth
Pitt
Vermont
UVA
Vandy
Duke
Emory
USF
Miami
Saint Louis
Creighton
WUSTL
Mayo
Western Michigan
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tucson
TCU
Colorado

You can keep working on it over the next year. Being at conversational level is already good. Some schools like the Arizonas will target out of state students who are Latino and/or speak Spanish due to the demographics of the patient population.

It is worth trying some T20/30 schools, especially those that value ECs like Duke. I suggest:

All 4 SUNY
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
NYU LI (if interested in primary care)
NYMC
Albany
Sinai
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Boston
Hackensack
Brown
Dartmouth
Pitt
Vermont
UVA
Vandy
Duke
Emory
USF
Miami
Saint Louis
Creighton
WUSTL
Mayo
Western Michigan
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tucson
TCU
Colorado
Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT and GPA are quite discordant. The differential diagnosis on that includes brilliant but somewhat lacking in conscientiousness/undiagnosed ADHD/other stressors, lots of extracurricular activities or lack of prioritization...and difficult, grade-deflating majors and courses of study. If you went to a certain Ivy League university that once limited As to 35 percent of its classes, it might be the latter. However - in medical school you'll need conscientiousness as well as raw horsepower to do well. Good luck with everything, and your low GPA is unlikely to keep you out of a US medical school. @Goro's DO school would love to have you.

Reactions: 1 user