WAMC at Icahn FIexmed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wewillmakeit02

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a current freshman in college and I recently found out about the Flexmed program and I thought that it would be the perfect opportunity for me. I have a large interest in computer science as well as music, and going to a university that is close to my hometown has allowed me to continue a lot of what I built for my community and myself in college. I wanted to get opinions on if I have a good shot at the program!

Any activity I am currently still involved in will have a * next to it.

Demographics: ORM
High School: Competitive public magnet high school
GPA: 3.95/4 UW gpa & 4.6 W gpa
Class Rank: 11/494
SAT: 1580 (800 math, 780 reading)
AP Classes: 15 taken, 13 credits transferred

College: High ranked liberal arts college
Intended Major: Computer Science Major & Chemistry Minor
Scholarship: Full tuition, room, and board merit scholarship
Semester 1: Bio 1, Organic Chemistry 1, Health Policy, Seminar (required)
Semester 2: Bio 2, Organic Chemistry 2, Seminar, Piano lessons, University Orchestra
Next Semester: Data Structures, Linear Algebra, Physics 1, Inorganic Chemistry, Piano lessons, Chamber Ensemble
GPA: 4.0

Extracurriculars:

- Research (500 hours):
500 hours in a wet lab focused on proteins related to brain inflammation at local university during HS.

- *Research (1000 hours): At my current university, I am involved in an organic chemistry lab. I work 10 hours a week, will research full time during the summer, have currently completed 400 hours and expecting >1000 by the time of application + a publication in the next 6 months or so as a 2nd author.

- EMT: Have completed EMT course and passed NREMT, honestly I don't really lice being an EMT so I probably won't be doing anything with this.

- *Volunteering (200 hours): I have been volunteering at a food/clothing bank that also provides basic health care for those in need.

- *Shadowing (80 hours): Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Sports Medicine, Cardiology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology

- *Clinical (100 hours): Volunteering at local hospital's forensic nursing department. Currently doing about 4 hours a week.

- Organic Chemistry TA: Appointed as the TA for organic chemistry 1 for the foreseeable future, in charge of leading a review session once a week.

- Music Teacher: I taught music theory and traditional Chinese music at a weekend school to kids. I got paid 25 dollars an hour, and I taught 2 hours a week.

- *Chamber Orchestra Conductor/pianist: I made my own chamber orchestra group in 10th grade with 17 members of violins, cellos, violas, clarinets, and flutes. It was basically a group for people who felt underwhelmed since our county's music program wasn't very strong and was pretty overcrowded, so I wanted to make a group where there was some better management. I conduct for the group and occasionally play the piano for the group when the song we currently played needed one. We perform for charities, local events, and retirement homes. I have been personally been playing the piano for 11 years.

- *Rock Band: I started a small rock band with 3 other friends. We mostly just play for fun on Friday evenings in my garage. I play the piano for the band. There is also a drummer, electric guitarist, and bassist

- Music Groups: I have been playing the clarinet and saxophone for 6 years. I am currently a part of my school's orchestra + a club orchestra that plays music from pop culture, and used to be a part of my city's top youth orchestra, and my HS jazz and concert band.

- Worship leader: I am the worship leader for my church, of which I play the piano for. I play on Fridays and Sundays for the youth and adult groups.

- *University planning committee: meet once a week to organize events for the school.

Honors & Awards:
- National Certification from the Guild of Piano
- All District Band x3, First Chair x2
- All County Band x3, First Chair x3
- All State Band x2
- Full ride merit scholarship to current university
- Prestigious research scholarship
- Principal's Scholar HS award
- National Merit Semifinalist

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there!

So I'm presuming you are finishing sophomore year? Who is going to write your letters of recommendation, and what will they say about your fit for medicine?
Sorry forgot to mention, I am a current freshman who is planning to apply next year. I am planning on getting my research mentor, BIO 1 professor who is also my advisor + in my schools orchestra with me, and my health policy teacher to write my recommendations. They all have good opinions of me, as far as I know, although I wouldn’t say they would have the strongest perspective into why I want to be a doctor, but maybe they might provide some insight into why I may become a good one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry forgot to mention, I am a current freshman who is planning to apply next year. I am planning on getting my research mentor, BIO 1 professor who is also my advisor + in my schools orchestra with me, and my health policy teacher to write my recommendations. They all have good opinions of me, as far as I know, although I wouldn’t say they would have the strongest perspective into why I want to be a doctor, but maybe they might provide some insight into why I may become a good one.
Freshman in college? So what is your college GPA (overall, science)?

Thanks! Just keep your experiences going, especially community service/food bank and your clinical exposure. You might as well try if all goes well and you get strong letters of support. What are your summer plans?

Thanks! Just keep your experiences going, especially community service/food bank and your clinical exposure. You might as well try if all goes well and you get strong letters of support. What are your summer plans?
Just doing research for 10 weeks 9-5 to get about 400 hours, continue my volunteer stuff and prepare for my chamber ensemble and concerto competition in the following semester.

Reactions: 1 user