WAMC 510/3.7x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whichbreath

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA is 3.7x and will update after May 1
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts. 510 (128/128/126/128) July 2023
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Stanford (undergrad), UCLA (grad)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) 200 hours for helping people create and use their online accounts in the waiting room area, serving vegetables, and teaching literacy to children in the underserved clinic
  7. Research experience and productivity 2 published papers (cello 1st author, biology in the author list), 1 submitted 1st author paper about machine learning in medicine. (300+ hours)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented 10 hours over the summer (planned)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering Food kitchen and deliveries (100 hours)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) Teaching assistant and grading for undergraduate statistics classes (many hours, 800+), involvement in clubs such as dragonboat, symphony orchestra, and bible studies (100 hours)
  11. Relevant honors or awards None
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important Pretty old, 29 going on 30. I am in a PhD program in statistics but I hate it. That's why I'm switching back to medicine. It's unclear whether I'll graduate by the time I start med school. Took 5 years for undergrad as well, and 3 years of figuring out what to do after it before starting my PhD program which I've been in for 4 years. I know I'll have to spin all this positively somehow.
Please don't quote.

Here's my school list. I based it off of MCAT admitted/matriculated, and out-of-state friendliness. With 55 schools on it, it may be too long.

Univ of Toledo College of Med
TCU-Burnett SOM
Wright S U Boonshoft SOM
Northeast Ohio Medical Univ
University of Arizona COM
UC Davis School of Medicine
UCLA David Geffen SOM
Oakland Univ Wm Beaumont SOM
University of Illinois COM
Loyola U Chicago Stritch SOM
Oregon Health & Science SOM
Tulane University Sch of Med
UC Riverside School of Med
Kerkorian SOM UNLV
Chicago Med Rosalind Franklin
Univ of Utah SOM Eccles
Carle Illinois COM
Central Michigan Univ COM
University of Texas Rio Grande
Univ Tennessee HSC COM
Texas Tech U Hlth Sci Ctr SOM
Texas A&M University SOM
Paul L. Foster SOM
Wertheim College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Med Sch
Larner COM, Univ of Vermont
Uniformed Services Hebert SOM
Albany Medical College
Univ Buffalo SOM Jacobs
Wake Forest Univ SOM
Drexel University Coll of Med
Cooper Medical School of Rowan
Frank H. Netter MD
Geisinger Commonwealth SOM
George Washington University S
LKSOM-Temple
Loma Linda University SOM
MU Joan C. Edwards Sch of Med
Nova Southeastern Univ
Pennsylvania State U COM
St Louis University Sch of Med
SUNY Upstate Norton COM
SUNY Downstate COM
Univ of Connecticut SOM
University of Maryland SOM
U Missouri Columbia SOM
South Carolina Greenville
U of TX Med Branch Sealy SOM
Virginia Commonwealth U SOM
Virginia Tech Carilion SOM
Wayne State University SOM
West Virginia University SOM
Western Michigan U Homer S SOM
UC Irvine School of Medicine
UC San Diego Sch. of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Your complete lack of shadowing hours and low non clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews. You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing and another 50 hours of non clinical volunteering before you submit your application.
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
ACOM
LMU-DCOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
With your current ECs (no shadowing and non clinical volunteering below the cutoff of 150 hours for some schools) your chances are limited for MD schools. You could try these:
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Roseman (when it opens)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
California University
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)

Are you taking the default Masters to get out of your program?

I agree that being a California applicant, your list does NOT reflect your selection criteria, which would include OOS friendliness. You have Texas schools whose classes are 90% in-state. You have several regional schools that prefer in-state applicants (why the Ohio schools UToledo, Boonshoft/Wright State, and NEOMED???). Did you grow up in Ohio?

It sounds like you are just testing the waters here. You know what your GPA will likely be after grades post (I hope it's 3.7x too), but as it stands, your lack of clinical shadowing is a problem. More food kitchen hours (get at least to 150 by submission) is needed. But first, it sounds like you need to get out of your program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be able to get shadowing and increase my hours at the food bank over the summer when I'm not swamped with classes. But that'll mean I'm not sending the primary application out until early September (the place where I plan to shadow requires some number of hours of volunteer work before starting to shadow, and I will also need to do more work in the food kitchen). I appreciate the list of DO schools but I'm interested in mostly MD schools. @Faha Here is an updated school list.
DO:
Burrell
Des Moines
Edward Via
Lake Erie
New York Institute of Technology
Touro California
Arizona Midwestern
MD:
Wayne State
Virginia Commonwealth
University of California, Los Angeles
NOVA
Temple
Drexel
Wake Forest
George Washington
Quinnipiac
Albany
University of California, Davis
University of Arizona
Pennsylvania State
Loyola University Chicago Stritch
Loma Linda
Geisinger
West Virginia
University of California, Riverside
Oakland University William Beaumont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
Florida International University
Central Michigan University
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine

How does this list look?

For my program, @Mr.Smile12 appears to have gotten a grasp of the situation rather quickly. As it stands, this is the hardest part to talk about, as even I myself am not sure what the program's intentions are. Thus, whether I eventually master out or get a PhD (via a submitted publication in a journal), I'm going to spend the summer shadowing and in the food bank. As these are concrete things that I can do.

Last edited:
You have a good DO list. Marshall, UNLV, Central Michigan, West Virginia, Geisinger admit few applicants with no connection to the state or region. Loyola is looking for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of hours of clinical and non clinical activities.