WAMC: 515 MCAT, 3.417 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 3.67 SMP GPA (1 year), Texas Resident ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CP0406

Reaction score
What are my odds for MD/DO, especially TMDSAS?

I am taking an SMP now and was hoping for a higher score, now looking at 3.67 overall for a 35hr SMP. What are the implications of my SMP gpa? What schools are reasonable to consider for list?

200+ volunteering hours
100+ shadowing
planning on working as scribe while applying, so 9+ months of clinical experience expected

multiple years working as teaching assistant and tutor for chemistry.

Edit: 515 MCAT was on my first try, my gpa in college followed a sort of upside-down bell curve with a 4.0 freshman year, followed by low soph/jun and upward trajectory in senior year.

Edit: I have used MSAR extensively but it's difficult to know ifI'm competitive when I am often in top 10% matriculated MCAT but bottom 10% matriculated cumulative undergrad GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are my odds for MD/DO, especially TMDSAS?

I am taking an SMP now and was hoping for a higher score, now looking at 3.67 overall for a 35hr SMP. What are the implications of my SMP gpa? What schools are reasonable to consider for list?

200+ volunteering hours
100+ shadowing
planning on working as scribe while applying, so 9+ months of clinical experience expected

multiple years working as teaching assistant and tutor for chemistry.

Edit: 515 MCAT was on my first try, my gpa in college followed a sort of upside-down bell curve with a 4.0 freshman year, followed by low soph/jun and upward trajectory in senior year.

Edit: I have used MSAR extensively but it's difficult to know ifI'm competitive when I am often in top 10% matriculated MCAT but bottom 10% matriculated cumulative undergrad GPA.
Apply to all the Texas MD and DO schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are fine if you apply broadly and include all the DO schools in Texas. There may or may not be a role for applying to a few OOS DO schools, though I suspect you would be fine.

You immediate problem is that "projected" hours don't count, so if you only have the 100 hours of shadowing as clinical experience when you apply that isn't enough. You may be in a situation where it makes sense to pre-write all your secondaries, and if you can start scribing in June or July then apply at the end of July with a couple of hundred hours of experience. But for that to work, you need to start looking for that scribing job NOW.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @GoSpursGo -
The applicants getting passed over by the TMDSAS schools despite good academics are those with little of no extracurricular activity in the shadowing, clinical hours, and even those who are only lacking nonclinical volunteer hours.
Your SMP will help you demonstrate that you have done better than your undergrad 3.1 would suggest. Your MCAT is above the median TMDSAS matriculant.
When schools tell applicants that all 3 of these areas of ECs are important to them, they really do mean it.
If you can wait to submit until you have 2 months of clinical work hours, it will go better for you this year.

Reactions: 1 user