WAMC-3rd Round Average GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kodiak-Bear

Reaction score
22, Female, CA/CO?, 3rd time applicant

Bachelor's in Biology, certificates in Gender and Women's Studies and LGBTQ+ Studies-UW-Madison
Graduating May 2024 with a Master's in Bacteriology- UW-Madison

Planning on moving to Colorado to gain IS residency
2nd cycle: 4 interview invites (declined one), two waitlists, and one acceptance that I just cannot take unfortunately due to personal circumstances.

3rd Cycle School list:
Colorado State (Hopefully will be IS), Cornell, Michigan State, Midwestern, Minnesota, Oregon, Purdue, Tennessee, Tufts (waitlisted for C/O 2028), UPenn, Virginia-Maryland, Washington, Ohio, Wisconsin (potentially), Missouri (potentially).

Cumulative gpa: 3.55
science: 3.4/3.5? School dependent
Last 45: 3.5

Veterinary Experience:
Night tech/student working in a surgery ward~800
Student worker in an ER~ 600 hours
Veterinary Assistant-800 hours (current)
Shadowing a GP vet- 150 hours

Animal Experience:
Wildlife rehabilitation intern: ~630 hours
Volunteer at a humane society~10 hours
Volunteer at a dog rescue (since middle school through high school)~ 450 hours
Foster parent (three separate organizations) for a total of ~500 hours
Pet ownership-rats, cats, dogs, hamsters- I am only going to put 200 hours even though that is definitely not accurate so as not to inflate my hours unnecessarily.
Hands on work with dairy cattle- 100 hours

Research:
Working in a dairy science lab~350 hours

Extracurriculars:
Water polo (since high school, now a team leader)~1000+ hours
Lacrosse(since high school)~800 hours
Karate, teacher and student (2nd degree blackbelt)~ 1800+hours
Snowboarding~500 hours
Rock climbing~ 200 hours

Non-animal employment:
Babysitter~400 hours

Awards/honors
Deans list 5 times
Sports awards

LORS
One veterinarian from the clinic I currently work at
My PI in the dairy science lab
A Sociologist prof I have taken many classes with
My Masters program advisor

Concerns:
I am somewhat concerned about my science gpa. I have already retaken one semester of organic chemistry and am considering retaking another. I plan to take a few more classes including public speaking and medical terminology so I can apply to Ohio and VMCVM. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on schools or literally anything else please let me know. I plan on moving to CO and getting a VA job in an ER and volunteering somewhere but I haven't worked out the details. I will also try to get some equine hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have already retaken one semester of organic chemistry and am considering retaking another.
Check to see how schools weigh retake classes. If they average them, retaking a class is only worthwhile if you're going to do much better. A C and B would only average out to a C+ or B-, so not a lot of bang for your buck
If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on schools or literally anything else please let me know.
This kinda depends since you mentioned already turning down an acceptance due to life circumstances. Where could you not go?
I plan on moving to CO and getting a VA job in an ER and volunteering somewhere but I haven't worked out the details.
I work ER in Denver and believe one of our three hospitals are hiring. But definitely depends on where you're located

Check to see how schools weigh retake classes. If they average them, retaking a class is only worthwhile if you're going to do much better. A C and B would only average out to a C+ or B-, so not a lot of bang for your buck

This kinda depends since you mentioned already turning down an acceptance due to life circumstances. Where could you not go?

I work ER in Denver and believe one of our three hospitals are hiring. But definitely depends on where you're located
yes i was planning on moving to denver! and I can’t go to western. it is just so expensive and I really don’t think it is the right program for me. I told one of the vets I work with and she told me to go with my gut. I won’t be applying there again. what do you think about my school list? and do you know anything about csu in state vs out of state seats?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i was planning on moving to denver! and I can’t go to western. it is just so expensive and I really don’t think it is the right program for me. I told one of the vets I work with and she told me to go with my gut. I won’t be applying there again. what do you think about my school list? and do you know anything about csu in state vs out of state seats?
I was CO in state when I was applying (2014-2016). I was unfortunately not successful any of my three cycles. For whatever reason, CSU is pretty competitive just from a sheer numbers perspective. Regardless of who your IS is, they're your best shot statistically except for the private schools.

Something to keep in mind is that you can apply as IS but be offered an OOS seat as a "non-contract" student. It's hella expensive. It was cheaper for a classmate to go OOS to Illinois than to go to CSU OOS as an Arvada, CO native.

I was CO in state when I was applying (2014-2016). I was unfortunately not successful any of my three cycles. For whatever reason, CSU is pretty competitive just from a sheer numbers perspective. Regardless of who your IS is, they're your best shot statistically except for the private schools.

Something to keep in mind is that you can apply as IS but be offered an OOS seat as a "non-contract" student. It's hella expensive. It was cheaper for a classmate to go OOS to Illinois than to go to CSU OOS as an Arvada, CO native.
Interesting. I mean my current IS is UC Davis and with my GPA it’s just not realistic so I think I have a better shot most other places in theory. Also I didn’t know that about non contracts seats for IS students. Good to know.

Interesting. I mean my current IS is UC Davis and with my GPA it’s just not realistic so I think I have a better shot most other places in theory. Also I didn’t know that about non contracts seats for IS students. Good to know.
UC Davis is a rather unique school to be sure. It's more from the perspective of you're competing with 300-400 students for 70 seats than 1500 for 60 seats.