WAMC 3rd time applicant- low GPA :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurevethopeful24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd application cycle. I am beginning to lose hope. Can someone please help me determine whether or not I should apply to these programs or programs I can add? My funds are somewhat limited and I do not want to apply to programs that require references from a professor (never built a rapport with one), island school, or require the GRE. My stats are below. I did do a file review with UofA.

Academics: Mathematics degree (hated with a passion and didn't try very hard...which I regret since my grades suffered)
Post-Baccalaureate 4.00
Cumulative Undergraduate 3.32
Overall Science 3.23

Animal experience:
  • Cows, pigs, and chickens on a farm ~1000 hrs
  • Horses ~96 hrs
  • Plenty of hours as a receptionist (~3000 hrs) and vet assistant (~300 hrs) in a dog and cat clinic
  • Plenty of hours as a vet assistant in a mixed animal/exotics practice (~3000 hrs)
  • Pet/house sitting for people
  • Kennel technician

Volunteer hours nonanimal ~580 as firefighter from a couple of years ago while in undergrad (UofA told me I should try to do more, but it is difficult to do so when I need to work now that I am out of school)

Recognitions:
Deans list 3x
National honors society in high school
Multicultural leadership scholarship during my undergrad for all 4 years
Science scholarship junior and senior year of college

I feel that my references are stellar and are nonissues.

Programs I am interested in:

• PURDUE (IS) (3RD TIME)
  • MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (2ND TIME I'D APPLY)
  • KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY
  • IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
  • MISSISSIPPI (2ND TIME I'D APPLY)
  • OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
  • ROYAL VETERINARY COLLEGE
  • UOFA (3RD TIME)
  • VIRGINIA-MARYLAND
  • UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA

Members don't see this ad.

This will be my 3rd application cycle. I am beginning to lose hope. Can someone please help me determine whether or not I should apply to these programs or programs I can add? My funds are somewhat limited and I do not want to apply to programs that require references from a professor (never built a rapport with one), island school, or require the GRE. My stats are below. I did do a file review with UofA.

Academics: Mathematics degree (hated with a passion and didn't try very hard...which I regret since my grades suffered)
Post-Baccalaureate 4.00
Cumulative Undergraduate 3.32
Overall Science 3.23

Animal experience:
  • Cows, pigs, and chickens on a farm ~1000 hrs
  • Horses ~96 hrs
  • Plenty of hours as a receptionist (~3000 hrs) and vet assistant (~300 hrs) in a dog and cat clinic
  • Plenty of hours as a vet assistant in a mixed animal/exotics practice (~3000 hrs)
  • Pet/house sitting for people
  • Kennel technician

Volunteer hours nonanimal ~580 as firefighter from a couple of years ago while in undergrad (UofA told me I should try to do more, but it is difficult to do so when I need to work now that I am out of school)

Recognitions:
Deans list 3x
National honors society in high school
Multicultural leadership scholarship during my undergrad for all 4 years
Science scholarship junior and senior year of college

I feel that my references are stellar and are nonissues.

Programs I am interested in:

• PURDUE (IS) (3RD TIME)
  • MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (2ND TIME I'D APPLY)
  • KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY
  • IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY
  • MISSISSIPPI (2ND TIME I'D APPLY)
  • OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY
  • ROYAL VETERINARY COLLEGE
  • UOFA (3RD TIME)
  • VIRGINIA-MARYLAND
  • UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA

How did your file review go? What advice did they give you?

Your application seems fairly solid, especially with how well you did with your post-bac (assuming that was the bulk, if not all, of your pre-reqs). You might think about your essays, supplementals, and interviews (where applicable) - consider changing up your responses, especially if you've been using the same (or mostly the same) essays during each application cycle. There are essay reviewers on this forum, and I could possibly take a look if you'd like. I can't comment on the lack of recommendation from a professor, though having one might be helpful to speak to your academic ability if that's a concern.