WAMC 3.98/515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfgmdmd

Reaction score
Asian
Overall GPA 3.98 Science GPA: 3.97
MCAT 515 (131,125,130, 129)

1. One poster presentation + Research (400 hours total)
  2. 1000 Paid Clinical Hours: Worked as a clinical medical assistant (triage, injections, venipuncture, EKG etc)
  3. Hospital Volunteer pediatrics 200 hours
  4. like 100 hours shadowing from 4 different specialties.
  5. Sports Medicine Volunteer for about 150 hours.
  6. Interested in food inequalities and ways to overcome it.
    1. Love for Lasagna - 150 hours - basically me making Lasagna and delivering it. Often talked with the recipient for about 30 minutes.
    2. Food Recovery Network - 120 hours
  7. Private Tutor for 500 hours
  8. Vice president of the Learn to Be Club.
  9. My primary statement is pretty much relating my upbringing as a young athlete overcoming surgeries and how that led me to medicine. Would like to be an orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine
  10. letters of Rec from the head research PI, Doc from the urgent care.
  11. Basic Awards/Honors
    1. CWRU student leadership award from Learn To Be -
    2. Certification of clinical medical assistant
    3. CPR certification
  12. Hobbites - Tennis and Baseball
A) I am concerned about my mcat score especially the cars (125) and me being an ORM. I don't know if 515 is high enough. Should I retake?
B) I am an NJ resident and considering ED to NJMS. Please let me know if you think I have a pretty good shot at it or if I should not ED.
Please give me some recommendations to school with my stats.

Thank you so much. I really don't have any one that can help me with this whole process so the internet has been a great resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

It's never a good idea to apply early decision without having a sincere conversation with the school on how they use Early Decision and whether you would be a very strong candidate for consideration. (Frankly, don't do ED as the risk is not worth the reward IMO.) What do your prehealth advisors think?

I'm not sure if people care that you want to go to orthopedics, but some could ask why not DPT or Athletic Training where you can make more of an impact with patients through patient interaction. Being an orthopedic surgeon is nice, but your impact is limited there until you actually do the surgery or program the robots. Also, you probably know a lot of patients are much older individuals so this is one area that would help your application and your professional development.

On basics, everything looks good, but where would you like to go to school? What do your prehealth advisors say?

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

It's never a good idea to apply early decision without having a sincere conversation with the school on how they use Early Decision and whether you would be a very strong candidate for consideration. (Frankly, don't do ED as the risk is not worth the reward IMO.) What do your prehealth advisors think?

I'm not sure if people care that you want to go to orthopedics, but some could ask why not DPT or Athletic Training where you can make more of an impact with patients through patient interaction. Being an orthopedic surgeon is nice, but your impact is limited there until you actually do the surgery or program the robots. Also, you probably know a lot of patients are much older individuals so this is one area that would help your application and your professional development.

On basics, everything looks good, but where would you like to go to school? What do your prehealth advisors say?
Thank you so much for your response. I think most of my pre health advisors are recommending me to meet with the deans of admissions. I plan on meeting the dean of NJMS to talk about ED. But I know that they have a unique way of ED since they start their interviews early July and start sending out decisions late July.

Could you just clarify what you meant by the 2nd paragraph like trying out athletic training? I do work with athletic trainers all the time when I volunteer as a sports med volunteer. Do you have anything else so I can improve my application?

And do you think I should retake the MCAT? Cars 125

Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.